Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-5/18 GIJoe WHERE'S JAKE?? GTB!!!

Loving it!

Yeah, that seat spring set-up is ingenious....makes the nanner look period correct and keeps the continuous flow with the lines of the bike. 8)

kingfish254 said:
CMAN, those are pretty cheap, but there is still no way I am wearing those!! Something tells me that Yoots has already ordered a set though. :mrgreen: :p
hey you ought to go with the shoes...

Lots of cool stuff going on here...not sure my lights are highlight worthy but thanks for noticing.

kingfish254 said:
In an effort to see if Jake Sensei is hiding out there in GTB Ninja Mode, I brought in GI Joe to help.

Wondering that myself, action figures beat rabbits...

Circa Cycles said:
Lookin' good Man 8) This could be your coolest build off bike yet :wink:

Shhhhhhh,,,,you'll make BEER RUN and Flexy jealous.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-5/19 Springer Nanner Bracket Cut

Good day so far on FireWing.
First I took apart the rear section of the Persons saddle. This brace will be perfect for mounting up the two rear braces together. Unfortunately, I am going to cut some of the upper tabs of the Elgin skirt guards.

Broke out the art paper for some brace pattern tracing

Then out to the lane to start cutting the shelving. This is 1/16" steel and I was able to cut it nicely with the metal sabre saw blade.

The braces are cut, now I need to break out my cobblers anvil and fork them to fit. My biggest holdup has been trying to come up with the best way to attach this to the seat stays. I really didn't want to tap into them with any holes. What I decided to do is cut the three tabs you see. I plan to bend those at a 90 and wrap them around the tire side of the stays. Then I will cut a slot n the brace just above the tabs and clamp them to the stays using stainless hose clamps. The brace will end up riding on the centerline of the seat stay.

kingfish254 said:
(snip)

The braces are cut, now I need to break out my cobblers anvil and fork them to fit. My biggest holdup has been trying to come up with the best way to attach this to the seat stays. I really didn't want to tap into them with any holes. What I decided to do is cut the three tabs you see. I plan to bend those at a 90 and wrap them around the tire side of the stays. Then I will cut a slot n the brace just above the tabs and clamp them to the stays using stainless hose clamps. The brace will end up riding on the centerline of the seat stay.

(snip)
Hey Kingfish254 you might want to cut out another set of tabs that you can rivet to the back of the brace so you can make a U shaped set of tabs to wrap around both the front and back of the stay then slot and clamp with the hose clamps. Hope this makes sense to you. :mrgreen:

dracothered said:
Hey Kingfish254 you might want to cut out another set of tabs that you can rivet to the back of the brace so you can make a U shaped set of tabs to wrap around both the front and back of the stay then slot and clamp with the hose clamps. Hope this makes sense to you. :mrgreen:

I am pretty sure that I do follow what you are saying. After making more progress today, I don't think I will need that. It seems to be pretty strong. I will know more in the next couple of days as I wrap this up.

I got kinda burnt out this afternoon an left it unfinished. More updates to follow.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-5/19 Nanner Springer Bracket Fit

Drilled out the pipe clamp slot and sanded the bracket while everything was still flat.
Curling the chainstay tabs was actually quite easy. This should work well.

Curled over the top section where it meets the fender.

Still need to trim and drill for joining the spring bracket with the left and right bracket.

Got burnt out, so here are the final mocks for the night.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-5/19 Nanner Springer Bracket Fit

dracothered said:
Is there any way to put the fender over top of the brace so it looks cleaner?

Not without reducing the strength of the brace.

Everything is more obvious with that bright blue brace. By the time I am done, both the brace and fender will be equally ratty.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-5/20 RRBer FireWing Parts

As I have been pulling this build together, I thought it was pretty cool how most of the parts (and bike) came from RRBers.

Here is the list so far.

RRBer FireWing Parts
1953 Columbia Three Star DeLuxe bicycle - from Nateyboy (trade)
1950s Columbia Tank - from Spokeshave (bought)
Banana seat - from Burrkrayecycles (trade)
Teardrop pedals - from Dbubbleguy (gift)
Project 356 shifter - from BillyZ (bought)
Wald "Billy Goat" (ramshorn) handlebars - from Lopo68 (bought)
Elgin skirt guards - from CWC (trade)
Cadet Speedo - from Oz1972 (bought)
White Torpedo Grips - from ???????? (trade)

This is the KING of total funk! If Rick James had a Rat, this would be it! Nice work :mrgreen:

someguy83 said:
king you did exactly what I thought for the sprung nanner. looking good but no slacking allowed now get ta buildin

Thanks for turning that light bulb on for me buddy!!

NewOrleansFlyer said:
This is the KING of total funk! If Rick James had a Rat, this would be it! Nice work :mrgreen:

http://cdn../instances/400x/38054263.jpg

Latest posts

Back