Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star - 5/8 Tire + Skirt Mockups

kingfish254 said:
I have these Elgin skirt guards on their way to me. I think I can use them and incorporate an hidden curved sissy bar support for the nanner.

elginskirtIMG_20130401_192644_580_zpsd13efae2.jpg
I think these skirts are more fitting and even if you want some flames on the skirts you could put them on top of them I think.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star - 5/9 Headlight + Leather Nanner

The Elgin skirts should be here in a week or so. We'll see about flame when I get them.

First thing I did tonight was mount the other Schwinn brick red Typhoon Cord tire on the old rear wheel. I really like these and am almost certain that I will be sticking with this rim/tire combo. Just have to relace some hubs.

I also tried out some chainrings. I ended up with the Schwinn SS Sport sorta dogleg crank and the original Columbia ring. I also put on the Persons Tear Drop pedals that dbubbleguy surprised me with.

Spent rest of the night working on ideas that Skipton and Someguy83 had.
Skipton said that a big light would look good and I remembered this railroad lantern I picked up yardsaleing. The color, patina, and size are just about perfect. Of course I would remove the handle and stand.

Someguy83 suggested covering the nanner with some old leather and using some faux springs. I remembered some great looking aged pleather on a yard sale satchel that I bought for this purpose. This should work great and it also has some nice lighter brown trim. Plus I had these springs from a broken seat I picked up in Bagan, Myanmar (Burma) last year about this point in the Build Off.

That seat is going to look awesome with that new skin.

That light would be super cool if you could make the mount so that you could pull the light off and carry it.

No FireWing work tonight. QueenFish had me prepping flower beds in the courtyard for her Spring planting.

Not sure what parts I am going to work on this weekend. Got some honey-do's.

I need to decide if this is gonna be single, three, or seven speed and then get up the nerve to lace up two hubs to the old rims. I am leaning towards 3 speed with the Project 356 shifter on the seat tube.

Not sold on the any of the lights yet and I can't reallly work on the nanner until I get the Elgin guards to work out the hidden seat support.

carrotsnax said:
You should save some of that nanner material for the grips to!

Funny you should say that. I was thinking of cutting long strips and making bar tape out of it for my Billy Goats.

Yeah man the wheel and tire combo is gorgeous. I have a green Schwinn they would be PERFECT FOR.

I am sticking with the tire/old rim combo for sure. These are the tires that I got from the Schwinn SS Sport that I robbed of parts and flipped with regular parts. The semi dogleg is from the same bike.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-5/11 LeatherBars+Seat+Crazy 8s

I was surprised that I was able to get some work done today. Cut down the distressed pleather satchel to see how much material I had to work with. Also took the nanner apart and the vinyl, foam, top and bottom pans are in great shape.

Cut some of the pleather into long strips to see what it would look like as bar tape. I'm digging this.

I also found this super cool coozie. It is made to look like a PBR tall boy paper bag. Pretty neat for two quarters at a yard sale.

I roughly covered the top pan with the pleather and took the bike out into the courtyard for some mock ups. I sat out here for about an hour trying different things and just thinking through the build.

Skull light mockup

Railroad lantern mockup (oc course the handles would be removed)

I am pretty sure that I will go with torpedo grips. Either these white ones or some black ones that I have coming to me.

I'm not using these Higgins skirt guards, but I wanted to get a feel for the balance of having guards on the bike, so I mocked these on there.

Cadet Speedo mockup

Rear View

Crazy 8's Chainring. This was a crazy idea I had after seeing rat-a-tac use resin in his chainring. I ordered up a box of 8 ball keychains to play around. Who knows it this will make the cut or not. It's fun to mock it up though.

Project 356 shifter mockup

Feeding time - the fish where checking out FireWing approvingly, so I rewarded them with some food.

kingfish254 said:
No FireWing work tonight. QueenFish had me prepping flower beds in the courtyard for her Spring planting.

Not sure what parts I am going to work on this weekend. Got some honey-do's.

I need to decide if this is gonna be single, three, or seven speed and then get up the nerve to lace up two hubs to the old rims. I am leaning towards 3 speed with the Project 356 shifter on the seat tube.

Not sold on the any of the lights yet and I can't reallly work on the nanner until I get the Elgin guards to work out the hidden seat support.
wow Momma Jats had me doing yard work to! love the duck tape mounted railroad light! and its removable also!!! :lol:

Jats

I got out of doing anything strenuous this weekend after being sick at the end of the week. Now the wife has it so she's been sleeping which means I got to work on mine too. Thats a real nice pond full of koi fish you have. That looks like alot of work. Great backdrop though.

jats said:
wow Momma Jats had me doing yard work to! love the duck tape mounted railroad light! and its removable also!!! :lol:

I think that I'm leaning more towrds the flaming skull light than the railroad light.

IMG_2183_zps997c34a9.jpg

hey the couples subbuild off is up the Macs said they were in any others you can think of?

Troy

Back