Fat Man

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told you somewherelse that I was having a lot of ideas after looking at the building contest.
So... I took apart the green "overnight bike", snatched that old mbt my dad had rusting, picked an example from the contest (la cucaracha - thank you mr. builder) and started working yesterday.
Here's what it looks like now:

First some inspiration and a scketch:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now the first results:

So..
I decided to call it the Fat Man because the top tubes I am using are alittle bit large, and that gives it a fat look. It has a 26" wheel in the front and a 24" in the rear.
After finishing the welding and grinding, I'll have to decide the color. Probably mate black. Red rims, white side walls, Hot rod look.
I'll be ordering all the parts (tires, coaster, etc) from Chopper Monster in Barcelona.
I also have a 3 speed shifter I'll be instaling, but all in good time.

Thank you all.
Godspeed

An update on the project.
After grinding and welding

and grinding and welding and finally grinding, I filled the irregularities (is the spelling correct?) with metal filler and paper sanded it.

Today I'll bend the fork a bit in order to level the Fat Man. Remember I'll be having a 26" on the front and a 24" on the rear.

Good work and godspeed.

Hi there. Thanks for the comments.
Soon I'll get new photos on the Fat Man's update.
Meanwhile, I'm thinking about leaving it with it's primer colour, but because I've never built on of these, I'm having trouble imagining what it will look like in the end. Red rims, black tires, wooden or metalsheet tank.. I dont know... Maybe I should paint it mate black.

There is also a question you can help me with: Is the riding position on these bikes the same as the one on the board track motorcycles? On other words, will I be able to pedal while riding on a bike like this?:

Thanks a lot

stocksucks said:
There is also a question you can help me with: Is the riding position on these bikes the same as the one on the board track motorcycles? On other words, will I be able to pedal while riding on a bike like this?:

That is always the great debate about slammed seats and flipped bars. I like to be comfortable and have no stress on my knees, so my seats and bars are always up.

Hi.
Thanks for the reply.
I agree but the looks also count. Anyway we can always raise or lower the seat without trouble.
By the way, thats a great photo, right?

I've been thinkng and I'm gonna paint it black and build the tank out of wood.
I made and outline out of my wife's birthday cake box lid :wink: and I'm gonna start building tomorrow. I'm now waiting for the tires to arrive from Madrid.

I've got a great 3 speed Sturmey-Archer shifter from an old bmx and i'm going to install it on the right side on the tank, so it can operate the 3 spd hub / coaster I'm getting from Holland.

These things are a bit hard to come by in Portugal :x

Next I'll paint the rims and the mudguards. These will give me a hard time, but I like these kind of tasks.

Now the photos:

Thanks a lot

Yesterday I took care of the wooden tank.
Started by making an ouline of what I wanted:

And then I cutted it out of a 1" pinewood board:

Tryed it out and it looked just fine to me:

Made the outline of the area to be occupied by the shifter:

And started carving. At a poin it broke because the clamp was too tightened and too near the area being dug:

I had to make a new piece and this time I clamped it correctly:

This is the outcome:

I think it looks just fine and that it will work properly.

What do you guys think?
Thanks a lot.

Back