ELGIN ESTATE SALE FIND - PARTING IT OUT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ELGIN ESTATE SALE FIND - STRPPED DOWN

No foul on a repainted girls' bike. Parts is parts! And I seem to recall from ebay that those horns are serious $! -Adam

Everything seems to be in pretty nice shape.

The fenders and chainguard are straight without any dents that I can remember.

The bars would be cool for someone wanting to build a boardtrack bike.

The stem is labeled "TOR" on the shaft....not sure if that is for Torrington...doesn't seem fancy enough to be that brand.

I'm not an expert on the prewar bikes and parts so I'm going to have to go by Ebay to see where I should price some of it.

If anyone who knows what this stuff is worth could PM me that would be a great help for when I list it all tomorrow. :wink:

I believethat rear rack is a Wald aftermarket rack, it first appeared in the catalogues in the early 30s and was produced by Wald till at least the mid 60s. So for all intents and purposes it is in the correct age bracket for your bike :)

The horn looks like a 30's / 40's ooogah horn. They used to use one similar to that on cars - and mount then below the floor board where you pushed the button down with your foot to make the noise.

That should clear out the sidewalk in front of you when you honk it :lol:

Speaking of horns, that reminds me of a funny story. I had an electric ooogah horn on my 40' Chevy coupe and I went to a car show in Indianapolis one time. I was driving around downtown and happened to honk at something - and unfortunately I was driving next to one of those carriages and the horse pulling the carriage rared up when he heard the horn. So I high tailed it away from there before someone came after me since I figured they was probably some law against honking a horn around one of those carriages.

Fortunately the horse settled back down as I drove off so no animals (or people) were hurt in the process. :D

Ha Ha...that was a funny story...I bet the folks in the carriage was nervous. :shock:

Needless to say, I didn't stick around to find out. I think I headed out of the downtown area and went back to the hotel if I remember correctly.

The only good thing is that even if they would have said "It was an old orange car that honked its horn and scared the horse" I was probably still okay since with the car show in town, the place was full of old cars running around - and probably a lot more than one orange one. :D

Latest posts

Back