ELGIN ESTATE SALE FIND - PARTING IT OUT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Stopped at an estate sale this morning down near my office and scored this ladies Elgin.

Unfortunately someone did a spray bomb resto on it a few years back, but the parts on this bike made it too good to pass up.

The horn, the rack, the chainguard, the sweetheart skip tooth sprocket, the Lobdell Triple Step wheels with Morrow hub...

Not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it just yet. If I didn't care about the money I'd probably use most of it on my Elgin men's frame.

Here are a few lame iPhone pics...

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

Re: ELGIN ESTATE SALE FIND

Nice Find if you decide to part it out I might be interested in the horn and the allstate tires if they are in decent shape.

The front tire appears to be in decent shape, but the rear tire is cracked. :cry:

I'll let yall know if I do part it out.

Rat Rod said:
The front tire appears to be in decent shape, but the rear tire is cracked. :cry:

I'll let yall know if I do part it out.
I only need one of the tires I have one good one in the garage. please let me know if you part it out though. Thanks

It was one of those deals where I was standing in a dark garage and they also had a Schwinn Tiger. The Tiger was pretty ratty and overpriced and then the Elgin was parked next to it and marked cheaper.

I kept thinking...is this worth the asking price? Then I remembered that since it was day two of the sale they were knocking everything down another 25%. The more I looked at it and thought about all of the parts, the more I got to thinking it was probably a decent buy.

Yeah...that and the chainguard were what sealed the deal for me.

My problem is that my funny money account was at zero before I hit the sale so if I do want to strip all the cool parts and use them on my Elgin frame, something else is gonna have to go.

If I did decide to sell off anything it will probably be the frame, fenders, front tire and the rack.

Everything else would probably help me come up with a pretty sweet build off bike. :mrgreen:

Man I would say the same thing. Do you really need a girls bike? I would be changing parts like I knew what I was doing. The all the stuff you won't ever use...rack...stand/clip..fenders ...stuff like that I would part out.

Here's a not from Phil...

It is Westfield built and should date to 1934-1935. I can't make out the serial number clearly but the codes for those years are M=34, N=35, and then A=36. On Elgins there is often a second line of code that begins with a letter (B on the N bikes, usually two letters higher than the one in front of the serial number beginning with the A serial numbers) followed by one or two digits.

nice find i'd strip it ,no questions asked ,bought a bike a couple of weeks ago had the same horn on it ,sold it for 125.00 shortly afterwords

Great score but I like this one better :wink:

Rat Rod said:
Here's the Elgin men's frame I have hanging in the garage...

DSC_0002-1.jpg

A.S.BOLTNUT said:
nice find i'd strip it ,no questions asked ,bought a bike a couple of weeks ago had the same horn on it ,sold it for 125.00 shortly afterwords

Seriously? :shock:

Is there different levels or brands of these horns?

This thing is seriously loud.

OH THE HUMANITY! :mrgreen:

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

P.S. The tires were hard as a rock and had to be cut off to keep from ruining the Lobdells. :cry:

Re: ELGIN ESTATE SALE FIND - STRPPED DOWN

The more I started pulling things apart...the more I wanted to part it out.

Need to get pics of everything and figure out pricing...stay tuned. :wink:

Re: ELGIN ESTATE SALE FIND - STRPPED DOWN

Rat Rod said:
A.S.BOLTNUT said:

Seriously? :shock:

Is there different levels or brands of these horns?

This thing is seriously loud.

serious;, after i parted with mine a guy standing near buy said he just bought one off ebay for 150.00 their is a set screw in the middle of the horn to adjust the sound ;. i think that horn alone will pay for the bike, should you chose to part with it :?: :)

Latest posts

Back