Electra front rack

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I visited a LBS today and found them stocking (for sale) a front cargo rack from an Electra Delivery bike.

It's the one pictured on this bike.

fronttray.jpg

I immediately thought that of a vintage cooler that I have in the garage that would fit inside it perfectly. However, couldn't bring myself to buy it at a whopping $100. Seems like if I spent some time, I could build a jig and then construct a similar rack out of some small diameter conduit pipes. I would probably have the support brackets attach directly to the wheel hub and not the sides of the forks.

I could probably build one for under $30 not counting the time.

These bikes have a problem with the front rack mount. I work for the LBS and we are not to sell our models of this until further notice. I wonder if thats why they are selling just the rack. I noticed the way it mounts to the brake bolt on the fork is not safe. When you pull up on the rack it just slides off. If you do buy this i recommend you modify the way it mounts. Also that is a high price for just a rack.

The rack is available in the printed catalog that I got from the LBS. However, when I go online to Electra's site, I can't find it. A quick search revealed a few online vendors that still sell them.

I was told at the LBS that these bikes are being recalled because the bolts that hold the rack to the forks become unscrewed from use of the bike. Seems like Electra didn't put any locktite on the bolts during assembly. The LBS has been doing just that as per Electra's instructions.

When/if I build mine, it will mount to the hub bolts and to the brake hole if available on the bike. If not, then I'll likely fabricate some sort of a bracket to mount to the headtube or the headset bolts.

I saw those and they look good but not all that strong. Weight is limited to 20lbs. Gary Fisher Simple City has a rack like this also with some issues. The big boys are trying to make some utility bikes but they need some help.

If you are looking for a great front rack. Try CETMA's.
http://www.cetmaracks.com/
doublefilebox_sitecopy_small.jpg

BossHydro said:
These bikes have a problem with the front rack mount. I work for the LBS and we are not to sell our models of this until further notice. I wonder if thats why they are selling just the rack. I noticed the way it mounts to the brake bolt on the fork is not safe. When you pull up on the rack it just slides off. If you do buy this i recommend you modify the way it mounts. Also that is a high price for just a rack.

Recalled http://www.electrabike.com/2008_Site_As ... Notice.pdf

Hi,
I have these racks in stock in my shop. The recall is only on the Factory installed ones. The resale rack mounts a bit diffrently.
peace,
Bicycledon

Back