Ed's '41 Elgin DeLuxe (Build Thread)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good! Be cool to see that chain guard on there....have a nice ride.
Thanks! I'll try putting chainguard on Friday now that chain is in place.
Looks sweet your getting close to a test ride [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Test ride went well today, even uphill worked good, thanks.
Are the rains holding off for now, Ed? Looks like you're getting close to the end....
A few showers, lots of heat and humidity, the end is near.
I use a 'build box' on my projects as well. As I gather parts for a bike a place them in a tub and build from there, some things/ideas make it, some don't. Usually, I find something in the bottom that either solves a problem, reminds me of an idea, or makes me ask "what was I thinking with this thing?" [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]
I usually work out of garage and on front drive. With our new beagle pup I've been relegated to the backyard and shade trees, thus the tub. It's worked OK. As need something from garage it ends up on tub till this is done.
Had a lot of catching up to do on your build.
Classy top shelf build as usual.
Lots of cool ideas to steal too.
At first I wan't feeling the bright green, but now that the rest of the paint is getting laid down, I like your vision on this one.
Another great build my friend!
Hey thanks KF, sorry to see your frame pic, looks like you have a good alternative. I've got a few finish issues to touch up. I keep scuffing up parts. I guess that's where the ratty enters into play.
Ed, I'd say flip your seat post around so it angles back. That's what I did on 'Faded Glory' and it worked like a charm. More comfy position too, not sitting right over the crank arms.

Before....
View attachment 27812

After....
View attachment 27813
Think you are right. I had flipped with a different saddle. I'll probably change it up like yours.
Bike is looking great! Looks like a good runner too.
Hey thanks! Looks good from a distance anyway. It did ride pretty smooth right out of the gate. It has one of Rat Rod's wheelsets after all. Need to tweak saddle position.

Last edited:
Rainy today so chainguard install on hold.

Ratty headbadge...new colors...After
8617f0d88f929cc4d585f3adebe153b3.jpg

Before
8cbf6517c825e9b3d8a0f46472e23375.jpg

Last edited:
I added refurbished Elgin headbadge and chainguard this am after a bad night of PTSD from the simulated war zone activity.
Still need to get some striping on some of the paint color transitions before adding tank.

8e590cbc91cb4df268ac6d2a3a7c66bb.jpg

33649fb6e6cd96aa8514bcd647384222.jpg

Having difficulty posting pics today???

Last edited:
I feel your pain, Ed. Fireworks night is not a night I look forward to typically.

How did Maggie do? We didn't see Dusty all night with the fireworks and impending storm on it's way....he's like a canine barometer when a storm is approaching.

On the build, you are pulling it together nicely as always.

I feel your pain, Ed. Fireworks night is not a night I look forward to typically.

How did Maggie do? We didn't see Dusty all night with the fireworks and impending storm on it's way....he's like a canine barometer when a storm is approaching.

On the build, you are pulling it together nicely as always.
We tried to go out twice to potty, time outside was short lived. She went bananas the second time and thus we had messes to clean up inside. Our little city for years had a fireworks ban so it wasn't a big problem. Three years ago the city council bent to the groups wanting to sell them for fund raising. So now we have all kinds of dangerous stuff that Joe blow probably hadn't ought to be using.
The hospital emergency rooms were busy in the big city. Heard one guy died and another had to have an amputation, lots of burn victims.
Thanks on the build comments. Also touched up some of the paint assembly glitches.

Tried to post some of these earlier to no avail...
c8a6ed5ddb625fe935367907084c3ed5.jpg

a206b96730ac0238c1366ddcdab9b61a.jpg

73e0113098aa4152facaa9990f91c77f.jpg

c7f840f4309e471e98483f0cf381011c.jpg

5c7c87956b9180a565a7e9a0527e93b7.jpg

It was chaotic here as well.
Every s...heel and charlatan in the neighborhood was blowing stuff up til 4am, no sleep.

Now, did you mask off the badge with tape or brush paint it? I have a Hawthorne badge to redo, so I'm curious.

It was chaotic here as well.
Every s...heel and charlatan in the neighborhood was blowing stuff up til 4am, no sleep.

Now, did you mask off the badge with tape or brush paint it? I have a Hawthorne badge to redo, so I'm curious.
I wonder if some of celebrants even realize what the "celebration" is even about.
I used modeling masking tape on the badge, cut edges with razor knife. It was a two stage project, green then yellow. I brush painted 1-Shot paint. when removing tape I cleaned some edges with knife and did some touch up.
fef72223fa641f587e764481e8e677da.jpg

c68d58b051e5333194a26ff7616f50d3.jpg

1a1aa80fdede713447da58f9576c5718.jpg

4634a8d8b8bbe03077bccd1315022f6e.jpg

If the rain will hold off I'll meet with a pin stripper today to get the Elgin a little closer to the finish line.

Elgin At ShaneZ's...Sunday photo shoot?

Went and looked at Elgin and its new line-work...very satisfied. I didn't bring it home though due to not wanting to haul it 14 miles home in heavy rain in the back of our truck. I'll try again Friday. Need an enclosed trailer.

Boy, you sure have had your share of heavy rain in Kansas this summer. At least your bike won't get all dusty on it's ride home....:bigsmile:

Boy, you sure have had your share of heavy rain in Kansas this summer. At least your bike won't get all dusty on it's ride home....:bigsmile:
Not sure what our 2016 total is so far but has to way above average. It comes in like monsoon rain with lots of wind then flooding.
The local annual swap meet back in April was a continuous rain event as well.
I just didn't want to have to do a 100% detail cleanup prior to doing photos...rat rod or not. Also still waiting on a tank decal.

Basic build summary:
1941 Elgin Bicycle Specifications/Source
Frame, fork, stem, truss rods, front fender, crank, chain ring, seat post and skip tooth chain – Original parts.
Headset and BB bearings - TSBS.
Rear Fender – eBay.
Fender braces – Parts stash.
Handlebars – Wald, Tom Sawyer Bicycle Shop.
Grips – eBay.
Elgin Gull Wing ornament – eBay.
Saddle platform – Hybrid Persons, flea market find.
Chainguard – Parts stash,
Tank with horn – eBay.
26” Wheelset coaster brake – Rat Rod Bikes Store.
Tires Schwalbe 26” x 2.20 – Swap Meet, @rrtbike.
Brass horn base – Flea market find with new bulb and reed.
Headlight by Delta – eBay.
Rear 11T adapter cog – Ichi Bikes.
Bell with paint - Electra LBS
Bottle opener - Half Price Books
Media Blasting – By Softstrip.
Fender rolling – By Steve S, Ye Old Bike Shop and Crown Customs.
Pin-stripping – By ShaneZ
Field paint and accent trim – RustOleum by MazdaFlyer.
Saddle rebuild – By MazdaFlyer.
Headbadge refurbish - By MazdaFlyer.
Overall Build (Ed’s 1941 Elgin) – by MazdaFlyer per build RRBBO #11 thread posts.
More Photos Forthcoming...

Last edited:
6242c626a897ff89785d544764d8eb86.jpg

df4a08e0ca7acc5fe2ab57f51c98ffe5.jpg

f1fedd5c26b765d07cd81206bd24d97f.jpg

Back