Diagnosis:Tripolar Some Progress

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Diagnosis:Tripolar Pics You Can See!

AKB said:
I think it needs a V-twin Briggs mounted right above the rear axle :wink:

I think it needs 2 V-Twin Briggs! one on each side! That would be $2,000 Ouch!

Re: Diagnosis:Tripolar A Little Progress!

I have finally freed up some time to START my build.......sort of.After completing a couple builds (one for the kid across the street and one to sell to support my habit :lol: ),a family reunion and other various responsibilities, it's time to get busy on this thing.I have spent a great deal of time thinking about what I want to do on this bike since I haven't had time to actually work on it.Hopefully my thought will pay off when I'm finished :?: :?: :!:

Here's a couple pics of the bike I built for the neighbor kid.I gave the project to him for Christmas and we have been working on it when our schedules jive and finished it for his birthday a couple weeks ago.It's a circa '69 Sears screamer that was missing most of the parts that made it a legend.So what's a guy to do?Customize it!There are hints with this bike that will be incorporated into my 3 wheeler.
5875456016_3f73fe3e4e.jpg

5875455236_def6f2b575.jpg

I was able to make some progress on Tripolar today.Mounting the tank in the fashion I wanted had me perplexed for a while.I want to mount it horizontally so it doesn't look like an old lady's bike and so the "intakes" on the tank are more oriented to take in air.I could take the easy route and drill through the frame,but since the bike only has the one tube,I don't want to chance weakening it.I want to ride it like I stole it!So I wracked my pea-sized brain for a solid mounting solution,and when the smoke cleared I found some hardware that may get the job done.
5874890155_6d395f36d0.jpg

Here is what I mocked-up to see if it will work and match the image in my tiny gray matter.
5874890891_145c7776c1.jpg

5874890891_145c7776c1.jpg

5875453288_7c5757b84a.jpg

5875453930_bd6ab2b547.jpg

Pretty close to what I have in mind.I started with the left side since it is open inside.The right side has the mounting brackets,which will be removed,and the horn,which I'd like to keep if I can get it to work.Hopefully some rust removal an fiddling with it will get it working.And some fresh batteries :wink: .I also need to do some grinding to fit around the frame and help hide the hardware while making it solid.I don't care for rattling on my bikes.Like they say,"Silence is golden!"

I've also been messing around with a seat.I like the look of long spring seats,as well as the comfort.The top of this seat is a Troxel from the Western Flyer X53 donor and the frame,springs and crash rail are from a seat I picked up at a garage sale(along with a skip tooth Hawthorne :D possibly owned by a zombie) that the tins were rotted away.It's actually pretty comfy without padding or upholstery.Not sure if it will end up on this bike.
5875454510_42ff102562.jpg

And that's where I am now.Next will be modifying the other side of the tank and grinding to fit the frame.The u-bolt will probably be somewhat visible :( but I may be able to conceal it when I paint.So far I'm pretty happy with the direction I'm going.Can't wait to get my tires for the rear(hint,hint :wink: )

Which reminds me.Hey imagearchy;Thanks for the seatpost offer!The position on this bike is very similar to my mountain and road bike.I have unusually long arms.I'd love to buy it for one of my other bikes though.Or for this one to make it longer and lower.I did get the email for the Jerald tires.I did some research a couple weeks before to see if my favorite shop could get them and came across their site.Very reasonable at $26.I will be ordering some in the future for other projects(like my recently acquired 24" Sears Spyder 5 speed).I've already picked out tires for this build.

2dawgs;Thanks for the compliments.I hope you like where I am going with this.

AKB;Great idea with the v-twin,or two!Wish I had more time and $$$$$$$$$$$$

slow rider;I like your avatar.Three wheelers ARE cool.Just wish I knew where to put the kickstand :roll: :lol:

Thanks to everyone for checking out my build and to all the other builders for helping me expand my boundaries :!: :!: This is so much fun.............

Re: Diagnosis:Tripolar Pics You Can See!

i like the new placement on the tank! it lets the eye fill the rest of the frame in for you.

Re: Diagnosis:Tripolar Tank and Tires

I can't believe it's July already :shock: :shock: .I better get crankin' on this baby if I want to finish before the deadline :!: I finally got the tires I ordered to replace the 24"x1.75" Cheng Shin nobbies that were on the bike when I got it.I used the front wheel from the Magna donor bike and mounted a 26"x1.5" Forte City ST(seen in previous photos).
Here is a "before" photo of the rear tires.
5895653624_69622c5bf6.jpg

5895653184_1cfeaf580a.jpg

The "during" photo of install.
5895654048_ef00db1f0c.jpg

And "after" photos.
5895086605_7321d4d22e.jpg

I went with 24"x3" Electra Fatti O tires for the rear to create the drag racer look.Big meats to put the hammer down!

I am also close to finishing the floating tank.A little more filing to customize the fit should do the trick.I had to remove the bracket at the front of the tank to facilitate the hardware I used for the mounting and ripped a hole in the tank where the bracket was welded at the top :cry: .I hope to fill the hole with Bondo,along with some other holes elsewhere on the bike,before painting.
5895657024_44bf4fcf81.jpg

The tank mounted.Notice the hole in the tank above the hardware.And the shifter I need to figure out where to mount.
5895091481_d7b57b813a.jpg

I also need to figure out how to fill the gap between the tank halves.
5895091027_c6e6068e74.jpg

I may try to mount the shifter inside the tank.Don't know yet.It's a stem mount shifter with a plastic box around it with goofy 80's or 90's graphics.I like the mechanical look without the box.I just thought about adding a speedometer to the mix and leaving the rest of the tank open. :? :? I'll have to investigate that when I get to the garage later today.I discovered that I will be able to use the horn in the tank as well :) .

I also have some mismatched ducktail fenders I want to "bob" and mount over the rear tires.
5895087581_6519b6d052.jpg

5895088053_afd5b8c1e9.jpg

I will need to cut the green rear fender to match the chrome front fender,fill the holes,paint and fabricate brackets for mounting.

I also need to modify the chainguard so it doesn't interfere with the crank.I will also fill the drastic rub marks with Bondo before painting.But this is the direction I am headed with the bike.
5895088699_3e6a0ae02d.jpg

5895658334_65aba5af39.jpg

5895657730_7b567a4b59.jpg

5895660072_77808ce723.jpg

I have so much work ahead of me :lol: :!: Once I have all the mods finished,I still have to disassemble,remove rust,paint,polish and reassemble everything.Maybe I should rename this bike "The Procastinator".As always,I appreciate any feedback or suggestions :idea: .I am having so much fun with this build :!:
Before I forget;Happy Independence Day to all you Rat Rodders :!: :!:

This is a fun build. Now, as I looked back thru your earlier posts, did you say you had an X-53 as a DONOR?! :shock:

trikes always end up as fun bikes! they just seem to make you smile. this one hasent changed that tradition. hahahah keep it up and dont paint it! patina the good paint. :mrgreen:

Rockit! said:
This is a fun build. Now, as I looked back thru your earlier posts, did you say you had an X-53 as a DONOR?! :shock:
Yes.It's a women's X53 that is pretty jacked up.The rear rim was torn off leaving a rat's nest of spokes attached to a black New Departure skip tooth hub.The tubes that make up the rear rack were cut in several places.The rear fender is bent to the left.The front wheel is missing but I got a 24" Schwinn S7 with it.The paint is very weathered as is the chrome.I basically bought it for the fork to use on another project along with the other parts that are still in usable condition.Or in case I stumble upon a Men's X53.If it were a men's bike,it would probably be my buildoff bike.I wasn't sure what to do with the tank so decided to use it on this project,as well as the chainguard.The parts that will transfer to a men's bike won't be hacked up.I will need to bend the bracket on the chainguard to clear the crank on this bike but it will still be usable should I find a men's X53.

Thanks Rockit for checking out my build and good luck with yours!I hope you end up with an awesome bike in the end!!!

snydur said:
trikes always end up as fun bikes! they just seem to make you smile. this one hasent changed that tradition. hahahah keep it up and dont paint it! patina the good paint. :mrgreen:
You may get your wish.Part of it anyway.I've been considering several options as far as paint goes.I was planning on repainting almost everything with paint already on it but I am running out of time.In keeping with the "Rat Rod" tradition,I am considering other options.Thanks for your input :!: :) :)

All in all a very cool build. I like the mix of new and old. I hate chain guards and never put them on any bikes but yours is too cool, also like the tank. I will second the suggestion to patina the frame make it look old.

I TOLD YA BEFORE THAT I'M DIGGING THIS BIKE. THOSE TIRES MAKE IT SICK!!FLOATING TANK?!? HERE TAKE MY VOTE NOW BUT FIRST...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Uhhh. . . can anyone say COOLEST TRIKE EVER! :lol:

too bad you don't have another fender like the green one. i like the way it goes all the way to the ground. any way what were you doing with the shifter in the early pictures? it would be kinda cool to mount the deep into the tank so the handle sticks out like a drag shifter with a shift pattern plate that has what gear you are in on it? enough of what i think! i am liken' it!

Re: Diagnosis:Tripolar Fender Fab and Shifter Mount

Thanks guys for your positive comments :D :D :!: I'm very pleased my build has piqued your interest!I hope to make it even better with the short amount of time I have left.It's been a fun build so far and is turning out to be pretty close to the image I had in my head when I began.I may not win this build off,but hopefully I can at least make people see these three wheelers with a different perspective :shock: :idea: .

Jake Sensi:Thanks for your vote!With so many talented builders and incredible bikes,I am truly flattered by your comments :oops: :!: I also dig your avatar.The Crow is one of my favorite movies of all time.I'm a sucker for anyone who stands up for those who can't stand up for themselves.

deezenuts:I hope to make this thing even cooler 8) .Thanks for your comment :!:

ChrisMac:Get that old Schwinn out of the weather and make it your next project :!: I hope my build inspires you!

Now here's an update on the rear fenders.I got the chrome fender at the Boulder Bike Swap in June.It has never been mounted until now.The green fender is from a set I picked up from CL and is a rear that closely resembles the chrome one.
5918651476_154a894cf0.jpg

5918091725_ef579cca55.jpg

The blue line indicates where I cut it to match the chrome front fender.Now I have two bobbed ducktail fenders!
5918652604_9625f67a18.jpg

5918092785_b4d29bd2d3.jpg

Then I needed some braces,so I got some aluminum angle and cut 'em out.
5918093095_4be00362ec.jpg

5918094053_d5c5a66926.jpg

Then I made a jig to match the curve of the fenders.
5918654018_6c80b934b7.jpg

And then bent the ends around the jig to get this.
5918655040_1d3d683f71.jpg

I then drilled holes to bolt up the fenders and mount to the frame.
5918655356_dde5227f2b.jpg

5918649534_474b68b3f8.jpg

5918649044_202cfdbff2.jpg

And this is what it looks like now with the fenders installed.
5918087031_9d882b2303.jpg

5918648568_36256951cd.jpg

5918647962_30f5df883b.jpg

What do you guys think :?: I'm liking it so far :!: A couple more mods,some detail work and it will be ready to take apart for paint polish and final assembly.Thanks again for checking it out!Stay tuned for further progress.............

imagearchy said:
too bad you don't have another fender like the green one. i like the way it goes all the way to the ground. any way what were you doing with the shifter in the early pictures? it would be kinda cool to mount the deep into the tank so the handle sticks out like a drag shifter with a shift pattern plate that has what gear you are in on it? enough of what i think! i am liken' it!

Thanks Mick!!I have a couple sets of peaked fenders I considered using the rears for achieving that look,but I'll save them for another build(s).I think the bobbed ducktails look faster :lol: :!:

You must be reading my mind about the shifter.I was thinking the same thing when I took the earlier pics.After a vigorous road ride yesterday,this is what I came up with :idea: Is this kinda what you were thinking?
5918090403_c3cf34fe53.jpg

First gear.
5918089937_3cdbe628d6.jpg

Fifth gear :!:
5918089491_f87cda9471.jpg

I cut the plate a bit large so I can shape it a little so it isn't so square.It's solid and I still have room inside for the horn!!What do you think :?:

Nice shifter fab.

we'll have take out bikes to denver cruisers when we get done... maybe get somethin' to eat?
the fender mounts worked out pretty easy! I always wanted to make a full fendered dragger bike too...
well i had better get back to cleaning my garage so i can get back to work..

YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE PEOPLE VIEW TRIKES DIFFERENTLY. TRIKE STOCKS GOING UP NOW. YEAH THE CROW IS IN MY TOP TEN. I EVEN HAVE THE #1 COMIC BOOK. I WAS GOING TO BUILD A TRIKE FOR THE BUILD-OFF,BUT WHEN I WENT TO BUY IT IT WAS SOLD. OH YEAH -CHECK THIS OUT
2011-07-09130305.jpg
NOW GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

imagearchy said:
we'll have take out bikes to denver cruisers when we get done... maybe get somethin' to eat?
the fender mounts worked out pretty easy! I always wanted to make a full fendered dragger bike too...
well i had better get back to cleaning my garage so i can get back to work..

Dude,seriously........are you reading my mind again.Careful though.It can get pretty wierd back in the unlit corners :shock: I was going to mention getting together for a ride after the dust settles from this build off in my earlier post,but was in a hurry to get out to the garage.Peace!!

Latest posts

Back