Diagnosis:Tripolar Some Progress

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's finally time to get my entry started in this build-off.Please be patient with me,as I am a bit of a Luddite,and not computer savvy.I learn something new with each bike build.This build will teach me new computer skills in addition to bike building.Again,please be patient.My biggest challenge will be posting pics in my thread.Hopefully it won't take until the deadline to figure it out. :lol:

I am entering a three wheeler because I haven't seen many in this year's competition and I am dying to make this bike into something cool.I never considered owning one until a friend asked me to fix one up for his daughter's-best friend's-mom.She has Leukemia and wanted to go for rides with her daughter.Once I gave it an overhaul and took it for a spin,I knew I had to have one of my own.I picked this one up last fall/early winter.The neighbor kid and I sprayed WD40 on the chain and 5 speed freewheel and rode it around the cul-de-sac for a while and had a blast.It's been sitting in the garage impatiently waiting for therapy while I've been working on other projects.

5774519722_b3e8f8ae8f.jpg

The bike gets it's name because it suffers from paranoid schizophrenia with involuntary narcissistic rage and tourettes syndrome.Three neurological abnormalities which indicate Tripolar Disorder.This bike also has three physical characteristics which pose obstacles to taking top honors in this competition.
1.It has a step through frame,common to this type of bike,as shown in the above picture.
2.There is no accomodation for a rear brake.It's got a 5 speed freewheel drive train with a Shimano Tourney derailleur and thumb shifter.

5774521726_2e312676ee.jpg

3.It has a 20" tubular BMX fork with extensions bolted to the dropouts to accomodate the 24" wheel.

5774523350_2a202aecbc.jpg

5774522618_ce4c0ca436.jpg

I have parts from donor bikes I hope will solve problems 2 and 3 fairly easy and hopefully give it an attitude adjustment at the same time.Here is a mock-up.
5774527400_76b24eafa0.jpg

5773989611_92a0f77bc3.jpg

5773990145_b612150981.jpg

Donor bike.
5774524034_249e9c59b7.jpg

And parts from a Western Flyer X53 womens bike to address problem 1.Quick mock-up to see if it looked similar to the picture in my head.
5774526670_f505c81441.jpg

5774525996_a8a880320f.jpg

5774525348_94d5c07303.jpg

5773986547_cc764a763a.jpg

5774529186_3e4f408de7.jpg

Nothing is set in stone yet.Just some brainstorming with stuff I've accumulated to provide much needed therapy for this bike.It will all get paint where appropriate and hopefully be happy with itself in it's new skin.I would gratefully accept comments,criticism and ideas from anyone willing to offer them.I just want to build a sweet bike that is worthy of this fine website.You all are some of the most talented and imaginative people I've come across.I hope I can impress you with this build!
Thank you for pushing me!

Re: Diagnosis:Tripolar

Sorry 'bout that.Like I said,I am not computer savvy. :oops: I'll try to fix them soon.I may have figured it out.Thanks for looking though! Hope you like what you see when I figure things out.

Re: Diagnosis:Tripolar

Circa Cycles said:
Sorry 'bout that.Like I said,I am not computer savvy. :oops: I'll try to fix them soon.I may have figured it out.Thanks for looking though! Hope you like what you see when I figure things out.

Try this: When you get a working link to a pic, post it into the message as you have done above, then highlight it and click (IMG) from the little menu at the top of your message box.

That turns it into a working linked picture visible inside the message.

Like this:
5774527400_76b24eafa0_s.jpg

Instead of this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3231/577 ... ecbc_s.jpg

All that is added is the IMG tag before and after the picture's address.

Best of luck!
--Rob

Re: Diagnosis:Tripolar Pics You Can See!

Thanks Rob for all your help :!: Your advice seems to have worked.I posted them in "Medium 500".Would "Medium 640" work here?
You are the man! -Eric

Hey Looks Good! Nice to meet you in boulder last weekend. never thought i would see anyone else on this build face to face. Small World? later Mick

Nice Trike! I havnt seen one with a rear deraliur before. Super kewl. i wana build one of them trikes so baaaaad

Very unique, different & cool! I am liking this build so far! 8)

YEAH BABY!! Keep it up. That tank idea is sweet. Run with that. You just made me a believer. I have that tank and now I'm looking for that trike. CUE THE DOOBIE BROTHERS"WHAT A FOOL BELIEVES" PASS ME A PBR ..OH...AND GET TA BUILDIN'...PEACE

Skrufryder said:
Nice Trike! I havnt seen one with a rear deraliur before. Super kewl. i wana build one of them trikes so baaaaad

Thanks Skrufryder!I never gave these trikes much thought until I fixed one up for a friend and took it for a test-ride.Then I took it for a loooong "test-ride".When I gave it back to my friend,he took it to the intended person and when she took it for a spin a guy in a muscle car slowed way down for a good look.Then he turned around to come get a second look and gave her the thumbs up,which made her smile.Then another guy did the same thing but asked if she wanted to sell it.Her grin was way to big to even consider the idea and just kept riding while shaking her head and grinning.

Yeah,I usually see these with a single or 3 speed coaster brake.Maybe one other on the interwebs with a 5 speed.I about choked when I got to the place I got this one.Good thing I wasn't wearing a heart rate monitor.I would have been in the red!I probably wouldn't have got it so cheap either.My advice;GET ONE!

Critter1 said:
Me, Myself, & Irene :)
I wondered who would be the first to pick that up.One of my favorite movies of all time.Cracks me up every time I watch it.Thanks for checking out my build.Hope you like it!

pick said:
Very unique, different & cool! I am liking this build so far! 8)

Thanks pick!It's uniqueness is why I wanted to include it in this build-off.Plus it's fun to ride :) .I've still got parts to add and some other ideas I'm contemplating.I've got a couple other builds I need to finish before I dive head first into this one.I hope you'll check back on the progress in the future :!:

Jake Sensi said:
YEAH BABY!! Keep it up. That tank idea is sweet. Run with that. You just made me a believer. I have that tank and now I'm looking for that trike. CUE THE DOOBIE BROTHERS"WHAT A FOOL BELIEVES" PASS ME A PBR ..OH...AND GET TA BUILDIN'...PEACE

Thank you for the kind words Jake Sensi!I bought the X53 for the fork to use on another build,since the rear rim had been ripped off the hub and the front wheel was a 24" Schwinn S7,and started wondering what it would look like on the trike.I kinda like it and the chainguard.But the more I look at it,the more I want to mount it to make the bike look like a boy's bike with the tank "floating" so the intakes are facing forward more.You know what the guts look like on this tank.It's gonna take some heavy modification(and brain power)to get it mounted solidly.I thought about scrapping the idea about using these parts for this build in favor of another concept I have in mind using some other stuff I have laying around but the feedback so far seems favorable and encouraging :eek: :!: I want to remove the springs inside the fork to lower the front end and haven't thought much about the back end of the bike.Again,I have a few ideas but nothing concrete.Too much stuff to figure out in the meantime.And those stubby(125mm),cottered cranks are probably getting swapped for some longer ones with a bigger gear from a Hercules parts bike.Thanks again for the encouraging words!Glad I could inspire a fellow ratter!

Skipton said:
This looks GREAT!.......Keep up the great work :wink:

5774529186_3e4f408de7.jpg

Thank you very much!I love(and live)your tag line.Although riding stuff I build interferes with the building at times.But that's why we build 'em,right :?: Oh what a tangled web we weave :lol:

hey there! you want my 7 post to bring that seat aggressively forward so you can reach your handle grips? i think your tin looks killer! it looks factory. did you get that e-mail from this web site for the ballooner slicks the solid black ones only cost $26 a piece. i think those would look cool on there and you wouldn't have to worry about the flat edge/roll when you turn cause it's a trike.

This trike is one of the best I have seen; keep up the great work.

Latest posts

Back