"Deluxe 6" Rat Racer build diary ALMOST DONE!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: a 5-bar Build-Off.....

Double Nickle said:
Wow nice... What's the plans for those bars?

Put some grips on 'em and steer the bike! :shock: Really though, I have thoughts or turning them upside-right but they are pretty cool rightside-down so I guess wee will see. I dig the way they feel on the mock-up ride. They seem to really fit the look I am after too. We will see what happens!

mmmmm....Japanes Brown Patina looks yummy!
How easy is it to control? Meaning, can you mask off areas?
I can see this used in a two-tone rust/creme paint scheme.... :roll:

Cheers,
Dr. T

GREAT finish on the paint! I've got the same bars. I decided to use flipped Bantam bars (due to lack of imagination). Watching, for future builds, to see what you do with your bars.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
mmmmm....Japanes Brown Patina looks yummy!
How easy is it to control? Meaning, can you mask off areas?
I can see this used in a two-tone rust/creme paint scheme.... :roll:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Yes, calculated rust in a bottle! I have never masked off areas although I have used in on a couple projects and would guess you could control it with the right tape (regular ol masking tape may even work). You can paint over the permalac clear though which are my plans exactly. It's great because it really is rust but it takes on the quality of paint as it glistens in the sun, has these cool coppertones, golds and metallic rootbeer colors. You have a lot of control as you can finish your bike shiny or sandblasted to control the sheen (you then have to spray a protective coating to stop the rust in it's track or it will keep rusting. I use Permalac which is highly recommended). You can also control the finish by how much you apply and make it from lighter browns to deeper darker browns by which temperature the surface is when applying it. You can heat the surface to 200 degrees and apply for a nice dark patina. Don't tell anyone but I plan to add some splashes of graphics so I didn't want to go too dark so I kept the surface right around 100 degrees for my finish and put quite a few coats on. cool stuff!

Okay I got it together late last night. Took it for a ride this morning and it rides absolutely amazing. Super smooth all the way around. Pretty good for no new parts EXCEPT a headset cups as I had none that would fit (very strange large cup size on these monark 5-bars???) and a set of wheels I had bought back in January for my wifes bike. I also opted to buy new thick thorn resistant tubes as it is a serious problem with flats here in the desert and a couple nuts and bolts from the hardware store. Otherwise the frame, springer, grips, cranks, stem and tires were bought right here on RRB. The chain ring I have had laying around as well as the chain, pedals, bars and bearings. I still have some work to do on the bars, some more paint work ( I am trying to learn how to pinstripe as we speak) and I am making a tank that might go on it. I also have major plans for a seat but am looking for some parts I need to make it happen.

Laying out the paint mask...
DSC04703.jpg

DSC04705.jpg

DSC04709.jpg

DSC04713.jpg

DSC04725.jpg

DSC04721.jpg

Here I used a schwinn style springer to replace the old worn original as well as updated to hardware.
DSC04727.jpg

Re: a 5-bar Build-Off.....SNEAK PEEK!

WOW! Just plain old WOW!

Wow guys! Thanks for the props. It's coming along nicely (gotta beat my June 2nd deadline) but things are coming together. I need a muscle bike banana seat. Also a days worth of little things to do to it. Trying to stay true to the rat build and it's working out. I have less in this build than any other bike that I have "built".

DSC04724.jpg

DSC04716.jpg

DSC04729.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock: Gotta change my shorts now... That thing is awsome!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

What did that sprocket come from? I love it! it almost looks like a skiptooth version of a hutch one from the 80's Here is a pic of one
hutch_chain_wheel_blowup.jpg

now thats a great looking bike! :D simple,clean,and looks mean. good call on the shelby springer too! :mrgreen:

Thanks guys!

skillsthebarber said:
What did that sprocket come from? I love it! it almost looks like a skiptooth version of a hutch one from the 80's Here is a pic of one
hutch_chain_wheel_blowup.jpg

It's a rollfast sprocket. It wicked cool and they are hard to find but I love the one you have posted here! Very "muscle car".

super clean build love what you did to those old bmx bars....you have me looking for my old pair of bars to do the same thing....

Latest posts

Back