Decrepit Old Stingray Fastback

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have a chance to get this at a very reasonable price. Too much money to restore. Thinking of a rat rod restore by adding a worn seat, new tubes, tires and chain. Would sand down some and clear coat.

Do you guys think this bike is worth it or should I pass?

image.jpeg

I think pick it up if reasonable, all the parts are there, just add a seat and it would make a great swap meet rider.

What he said, and put the shifter on the right way. :)

I missed that hahahaha, yeah, that will shift the front brake :D

Just sold one of my bikes so I have monopoly money to play with. Gonna make a move for it.

How much is too much to restore it? Schwinn chrome is notorious for coming back from the dead. You could break it down and hit that chrome with balled up aluminum foil and hot water and really see a difference. Relace the wheels, put a new seat on it, new cables and housing (and brake pads), new chain... and you'd have a winner as it sat. I'd take that thing all day! Of course I'd repaint it, but you wouldn't have to.

Crash, it is not worth restoring unless you just want to keep it. You will never get your money back out of it.

Thanks Crash. You are the Man when it comes to muscle bikes! My buddy is hooking me up with a white Schwinn seat that he took off one of his bikes. With the exception of tires, I have everything else. I would like to use the cable housing on the bike as I am looking for a "worn look" to the bike. Like I said, to save on price of restoration, I am looking for the rat look. Think Mad Max Fury Road!

I agree! the chrome will most likely shine up. Finding the right seat will cost the most. But it depends on how cheap you can pick it up for.

Crash, it is not worth restoring unless you just want to keep it. You will never get your money back out of it.
Yeah, I suppose you're right. Please realize that when I restore, I'm not looking at the "business" end of it. The hobby for me is the joy I get from bringing these bikes back to life, then watching my kids enjoy them, and the looks other kids give them as they ride by on an old bike they've never seen before. So I always spend more than I think I'll get back, but I'm not looking to get anything back from them any time soon.

This is way cool. Crusty muscle bikes don't seem to catch on. I've got a '68 Stingray that's more crusty than this. Rides like a dream and if the perfect swap meet rider. Would love to have this fastback, did you end up getting it?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Guy still has bike as we have not been able to agree on price. In the meantime I have added this beauty to my vintage wagon collection :

Why in the world would you replace that seat? Looks perfectly safe.

Oh, man, that would be extremely fun to work on that bike. Like Crash, for me the real kick is in bringing the bike back.

A Fastback ratrod would be cool, but I'd have to stop (or at least impede) the rust. Especially on the hoop eyelets. If those are crusty, the riding pressure of the nipples is going to grind them. Next thing you know, an oral surgeon is doing a restoration of his own.

Very sweet bike.

Back