Daughter's Cruiser - Chopped Cranbrook

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol:

The thing is that I like clean builds. This whole rat thing is a new concept for me. Hard to be a rat builder when you have problems with OCD. :lol:

Went to Tractor Supply and found another component of the seat mount. 8)

63320_1197589317170_1751610005_373404_3411775_n.jpg

Now that's a cool kid!
Great job on the custom work!

Long&Black said:
:lol:

The thing is that I like clean builds. This whole rat thing is a new concept for me. Hard to be a rat builder when you have problems with OCD. :lol:

Went to Tractor Supply and found another component of the seat mount. 8)

63320_1197589317170_1751610005_373404_3411775_n.jpg

i have ocd, its awesome.

Long&Black said:
It's not mounted there, just sitting. That's the absolute lowest it can go.

ah, ive seen some that were mounted like that so i thought i would ask about the comfort level. get to work so i can see the next step. :lol:

looking awesome man!!
i also have a cranbrook or 3 (it seems to be the only cruiser people around here trash) how is welding on them?

Welding is fine. I'm running a Lincoln 135 with CO2/Argon and I'm doing fine.

All of my welding experience is self-taught but I'm not having problems with the frame at all.

The ONLY problem I have is forgetting to turn the gas back on when I've had it off. :roll: :lol:

Started making the new seat rails tonight. Will take some creativity to get the look I want AND make it function like it should. The rake tooth is coiled but it's unlike the coils for a seat where half of the coil is in the opposite direction. Not too worried about it, I'll just have to get creative to make it look like it should. The rear suspension will still function.

58185_1200113700278_1751610005_378771_7327640_n.jpg

Nah, been busy with other things lately (mountain biking :mrgreen: ). I'll probably get to it this weekend.

My wife came back from Afghanistan Friday. Today I had her give me a hand making the suspension/mounting rails for the seat (saddle, if that's your flavor).

Anyone that knows me from other forums will know I typically do detailed, step-by-step builds so those that haven't done what I'm doing can follow along and see how easy this crap can be. All too often people are intimidated by simply thinking that they can't do something. I'm not that type of person. If I want to do it, I can do.

If you want to do it, follow along. :lol:

To make this piece I used a 3 ft length of 1/4" steel rod from Lowe's.

Guesstimated the middle of the rod and marked it with a Sharpie, stuck a piece of the rake tooth in the vise, had my wife hold the torch to heat the 1/4" rod, and bent it into a nice U shape around the 1/4" rake tooth. After it cooled I placed the part in the vise and heated both sides of the new part so I could bring the two lengths of rod together and still allow room for the mounting bolt (and a bit of room for the unit to slide fore/aft).

After careful heating of each side and tightening of the vise I was left with this. The two Sharpie marks are to locate the starting point for the next series of bends.
5069286187_fe59bb12c0_b.jpg

With the main mounting point out of the way it was time to work my way through the part. To get the unit to function like it should I needed it to coil properly. A simple corkscrew like what was on the rake teeth I had bought wasn't going to cut it.

I got out a length of 3/4" tubing, clamped the U-shaped end of the mount into the vise, and started bending the rod around the tubing. Since I needed to start the bend at the marks I had made earlier, I placed those marks just above center line of the 3/4 tubing. Heat, patience, and more heat...just follow slightly ahead of your bend with the torch and pull ever so slightly on the rod as you bend.
5069286225_927fa701a5_b.jpg

I kept going and bent as far as I could without rotating the part in the vise. Notice the rails are splayed out here. Not a big deal. That will get taken care of as I continue.
5069286247_011382d0c9_b.jpg

Repositioned the piece in the vise and kept bending. A full 360 degree bend at this point
5069286281_506347d959_b.jpg

Went around another 180 degrees. Made sure to spread the rails apart a bit as I finished coiling the rod. Remember, the seat post and mounting hardware has to fit between the rails.
5069891712_e7cf0385d9_b.jpg

Allowed the part to cool and mounted it to the seat pan and assembled the seat post and mount to gauge what to do next.
5069286343_23c15c7197_b.jpg

Everything was looking good. I used a Sharpie to mark bend points to bend the new rails towards the coil springs like the stock mounting rails.
5069286397_7c1e0db5db_b.jpg

Having the old rails in place really helped judge where the next bends would need to be. I heated the rails and bent them so that they followed the same path of the stock Huffy rails to the rear springs.
5069891772_6d00f2abd8_b.jpg

To make things work like I felt they should (and look like I felt it should) I decided to give the stock Huffy springs some attention. They're normally 2 1/2" tall. I measured the location of my seat rails and found them to be right at half - 1 1/4". I placed each spring in the vise, closed the jaws to 1 1/4", and heated the springs. Doing this can be tricky because hey - springs store energy. If you focus the heat on one section of the spring for too long the spring will deform. You'll see the coils move. Gradually heat the entire spring and pay attention to how the coils move as you apply heat. You can actually manipulate spacing between the coils by moving the heat source.

When you're happy the coil should just drop out of the vise jaws without loosening the jaws.

Before and after.
5069286439_7c6d753128_b.jpg

I mounted the modified springs to the seat pan so I could find my next bend points.
5069286509_9c45444c73_b.jpg

Sharpie was used again to mark the starting point for the final bend. Just a 270 or so degree bend to allow the mounting rails to be bolted to the coils.
5069891942_6a274cd641_b.jpg

Used a section from the stock seat rails to wrap the rod around. Before and after for this final bend pictured here.
5069286611_2e0ca1f597_b.jpg

With the new unit completed it was time to fit it to the bike and see how it looked. The new rails have more fore/aft movement than the stock Huffy rails could've dreamed of. Megan likes it.
5069892004_84ba07e51c_b.jpg

Tomorrow I'll slot the seat tube to get better clamping action from the seatpost clamp and trim the excess burlap from the underside of the seat (...or saddle :lol:)
5069892022_b639d52ba9_b.jpg

Anyway...that part is done. :mrgreen:

For what it's worth, it took exactly 36 inches of steel rod to make this. :lol:

as always nice write up. i have always wondered why the "older" seat springs had the coil in the front and the new ones just have the two in the back.

your saying that this spring set up on your bike has more movement then the factory one, is that true with all 3 spring set ups ?

twistedmentality said:
as always nice write up. i have always wondered why the "older" seat springs had the coil in the front and the new ones just have the two in the back.

your saying that this spring set up on your bike has more movement then the factory one, is that true with all 3 spring set ups ?

The front spring also gives a bit of up/down movement of the saddle. Just a bit, though. The majority of the suspension comes from the rear coils.

When I say "more movement" I'm referring to fore/aft movement of the saddle on the post not vertical travel from the suspension coils. I have longer, straighter rails than the stock Huffy rails. Look under your seat pan and notice how short the actual straight section of the rails actually is. My rails are straight from the nose to the rear just prior to the coils.

Back