Daughter's Cruiser - Chopped Cranbrook

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this thing with the intent to do something with it (something cheap, preferably), just not sure what. :lol: Spent some time staring at it and couldn't decide on a direction to go with it so I decided to just start cutting. :lol:

Removed the wheelset, stem/bars, crankset, and seat/seatpost and went at it with the angle grinder fitted with a cut-off wheel.

Did a couple of relief cuts on the top of the chainstays - just behind the bottom bracket. I then cut the (what are they called?) cantilever bars(?) loose from the top tube and down tube.

With the canti bars loose and the relief cuts in the chainstays I sat on the seat to bend the chainstays and close the relief cuts I had made. Low-tech, but it works. :lol: My 8 year-old daughter asked to sit on it and once she did she claimed it as hers. :lol: "This is for me - right, dad? :D

How it sat then. I used a bar clamp to keep the canti bars in place.
59511_1191173476778_1751610005_362446_6153771_n.jpg

Compared to stock
60361_1191177476878_1751610005_362463_5777801_n.jpg

Today I picked up gas for the welder and got a little done. Welded the chainstays and ground them down.

Then I stared at it, couldn't figure out what to do, but I had the angle grinder in my hands. :lol: Had a quick thought about cutting the canti bars off so um...I did just that - with no idea what to do next. :lol: After the noise had settled I was left with this.
58392_1191842813511_1751610005_363886_6301517_n.jpg

I sized up the cut-offs and I can take the right bar, flip it over, and use it to tie the seat stays into the seat tube (and the left can be flipped to use on the right). To quote Hannibal Smith "I love it when a plan comes together." Although there was no plan. :D

So I stared at it and thought about how those relief cuts really dropped the bottom bracket and lowered the bike. Next thing I know I had masked off the head tube to be cut down to lower the front a bit as well. No idea how much I cut off here, just put some making tape around the head tube, made sure it was parallel with the existing end of the tube, and got to cuttin'.

63842_1191843053517_1751610005_363888_6315620_n.jpg
63842_1191843093518_1751610005_363889_2142079_n.jpg

Used a small grinding bit in the Dremel to remove the ridge inside the headtube so the lower bearing cup would fully seat, then cleaned the inside with a flap wheel, and re-assembled the front end...and the rest of the bike. So I could check pedal clearance and stare at it some more. :lol:

Here's how it sits now.
63842_1191843133519_1751610005_363890_4994773_n.jpg

Overall it's just small things that I'm doing. A little off here, a small cut there.

Not working with a plan of action, just doing what comes to me as I go. Something that has bugged me is that stem. That joker is getting replaced. Need to find something with less rise.

udallcustombikes said:
Nothing like wrecking a Huffy!(No offence to Huffy Designer). Nice work, similiar to a Loco_Joe chop-

I figured for $75 for a NEW bike it was worth it to buy and chop. The downside is that I don't have a springer fork or a 3-speed to play with. :lol:

It did occur to me that chopping these was so easy that someone HAD to have done this before. Didn't bother searching, though. :lol:

gowjobs said:
Some kind of boxed section where the top of the seatstays meet the seatpost would be sweet.

I plan to use the tube I cut away to tie the seatstays to the seat tube. Just reached a stopping point for tonight.

Some progress.
Swapped the stock stem for a Schwinn Custom that I scored for five bucks. Also welded the seat stays to the seat tube. Now to clean up the welds and she can ride it this weekend.

I also chopped another 3/16" or so from the bottom of the head tube to bring that front down a bit.

62494_1192769956689_1751610005_365391_5679137_n.jpg

Then I went to Bike and Strikes and came home with two bikes and parts. :mrgreen:

Front wheel is done. Used a steel 36h disc hub that was a throwaway from the LBS. Came off a box store bike and the wheel was trashed. Since Megan wants discs I made it happen. Rim and hub are some flavor of green that she picked out in Lowe's. Rattle can. When I find a rear 36h disc hub I'll tear down the rear wheel and get to work on it.

60584_1195482224494_1751610005_370795_638443_n.jpg

Installed a springer fork I picked up for $20 at Bikes and Strikes as well as some $1 handlebars. Yanked the stem from a '64 (might be '65) Western Flyer Sonic Flyer to use with the springer. My wife is deployed to Afghanistan so when she called and we watched a movie together over Skype I spent some time polishing the springer with NEVR-DULL.

Megan likes the stance and feel of this setup so it's done as far as parts go - except for maybe that seat. I'll do something with the seat like tear it down and recover/refinish it, or swap it out for something else.

...and there's still plenty of work to do to the frame. The seat tube will get some attention and I'm thinking about adding more tube. We'll see.

i have to cut the head tube on my bike to make a springer i have work. you look to have the same springer i have. were you able to get the nuts on the axle all the way on after bolting the trusses from the springer on ? was gonna ask on rcc but came across your post here.

Thanks, man.

In an attempt to re-use as much as possible from the Cranbrook I stripped the seat down to see what I had to work with.

With the foam removed the plastic pan is shaped like the Mesinger I have but with a taller "lip" around the sides. I masked a cut line and got to work with the Dremel.
62776_1196139840934_1751610005_371452_5304120_n.jpg

Went to town with the kids tonight to let Megan pick out a material to cover the seat. She didn't want vinyl.

She chose burlap :!: 8) :lol:

I picked up some 1in Nu-foam to use as padding (wanted some padding but a thin overall seat) and the burlap.
61584_1196649733681_1751610005_372120_192213_n.jpg

Cut a square of foam, sprayed it with adhesive, then sprayed the pan. After a bit of trimming (and removing 1/2 the thickness of the foam) I was ready to start covering.

The first layer of burlap was glued to the foam across the entire surface and pulled tight before gluing under the edges of the pan. The 2nd layer was glued only under the edges of the pan.

Final result
61525_1196650493700_1751610005_372121_17326_n.jpg

She's happy. :lol:

I too have a cranbrook I am messing with... how did you get the seat post mounted that far forward on the seat? I messed around with mine and could not get it to work... has anyone taken it for a ride mounted like that?

photoaggie said:
I too have a cranbrook I am messing with... how did you get the seat post mounted that far forward on the seat? I messed around with mine and could not get it to work... has anyone taken it for a ride mounted like that?

I disassembled it and wedged the clamps in there. The only reason I did it was to judge where the seat needed to be to be comfortable for her to ride. The front/rear placement is fine, but it needs to come down a bit.

No rides on it like that. Needs support in the rear and the chain hasn't been on the bike since I tore it down.

I'll sort out mounting that thing soon enough.

Thanks.

Just got back from Lowe's. Grabbed some metal stock so I can build/re-build a mounting system for the seat.

Should be interesting. Hopefully I can get the same clean look with this as I did with the scale stuff. :wink:

Here is the Cranbrook I ride at work. I like my seats low so I scrounged up a couple of brackets used to hold two pipes parallel and bolted them between the seat tube and the seat post. Puts the bottom of the seat about 3/8" above the tire when I am not sitting on it.

et8c92.jpg

2lo15xw.jpg

16jixz7.jpg

udallcustombikes said:
Here is the Cranbrook I ride at work. I like my seats low so I scrounged up a couple of brackets used to hold two pipes parallel and bolted them between the seat tube and the seat post. Puts the bottom of the seat about 3/8" above the tire when I am not sitting on it.

I picked up some 1/4 in steel rod and some bar stock to make rails with.

I haven't completely decided on an idea, but I have one bouncing around in my head. :lol:

Hope to have it mounted tomorrow.

Long&Black said:
Thanks.

Just got back from Lowe's. Grabbed some metal stock so I can build/re-build a mounting system for the seat.

Should be interesting. Hopefully I can get the same clean look with this as I did with the scale stuff. :wink:

im sure your bikes will kick as much ... as your scale trucks.

Back