Custom Diamondback "JOKER" ~~DONE, FINISHED, CONCLUDED!~~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about all red for the forks...
Looks good! Going to be a hard decision when the time comes!

14223171874_9610066efe_z.jpg

Vs:

14036208307_5721d5e5e4_z.jpg

Luke.

Maybe invert the red and black on the last pic on the forks. Lower section of fork red, upper section of fork black.

Artsy says... all red forks with long black diamonds on the sides, like thin kite shapes, longer on the bottom half of the diamond. Maybe 4" long 1" wide...

Carl.

All cool ideas guys, Drac has come pretty close to my current thinking though...
I will think more on it later, today I hope to not spend so much time in front of the computer and more quality time with the welder and grinder!

Luke.

Number 2 w/ red and black fork works for me.

Well I decided what I needed to get me motivated on this build again is to get it mocked up and tried out for size and feel, in other words I needed to have it to the point of rolling and fully welded so I can sit on it! With that in mind the work started in earnest!

First up, extending the fork tube 6", cut a piece of heavy wall tube the right length and found a sleeve the right size, cut, grind, drill, result:

14223425751_d26cb72686_z.jpg

Note the drill holes for plug welding to the inner sleeve, these forks are strong!

Fully welded, ready for grinding, filing and sanding:

14040113570_c5be3174c0_z.jpg

Finished:

14224397822_35218904b8_z.jpg

Then on to finishing the welding on the frame, as you know by now with my builds everything is only tacked until it is all together and looking good, that way I can easily make changes if something does not work as I hoped.

After I am happy and have checked everything is straight and true I start heavy tacking, moving around all over the build, then move on to welding, also moving all over the bike and switching sides constantly, it takes a long time and is annoying to constantly move around like that but the results are worth it, nothing worse than a crooked or bent frame after all the work getting to that point!

I did not take pics as I was welding the frame, nothing special to see...

Then on to trial assembly, everything went together as planned however:
If you don't have to deflate the tire to get it in the fit is not tight enough.
This is definitely the case on this bike, those tires are so big you either have to remove the brakes or deflate the tires, even when they are installed there is so little room between the tires and brake arms!

So... A rolling mock-up pic at last!

14246901743_3cdb112d29_z.jpg

Looking good! Surprisingly with all the proportion changes it still works!

Next step of course was to sit on it and try it out.

Now to prepare you for this next pic, I have to say, I am 6'4"+ and over 220lbs and this is still a BMX bike, even if it is oversize, and as weird as I may look on it, it is actually an awesome fit and extremely comfortable!

14223420141_062a7753aa_z.jpg

This may just be the most comfortable bike I have ever built, and I think I have put enough adjustment in the seat post to allow almost anyone to ride it comfortably too!

So, very happy with it, still a long way to go, there is a lot of grinding, filing and sanding to go before it is ready for paint or powder, and I still have to finesse a few small things, but well on the way to being an awesome little bike!

Luke.

Way to go getting her rolling Luke!!!
I love the honeycomb spoke pattern in the pic against the house.
It must not be too cold out if you are riding in flip flops!
VERY COOL BUILD!!

14223420141_062a7753aa_z.jpg

This may just be the most comfortable bike I have ever built, and I think I have put enough adjustment in the seat post to allow almost anyone to ride it comfortably too!

So, very happy with it, still a long way to go, there is a lot of grinding, filing and sanding to go before it is ready for paint or powder, and I still have to finesse a few small things, but well on the way to being an awesome little bike!

Luke.
You look just like a big kid on it is all...

the bike is looking good.

Thongs mate...........we call 'em thongs!! ;)

I'm not sure my eyes are ready to see Luke riding his bike in a thong yet.:eek:

Back