Clancy's Snow-play thread. 1-29-14

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Clancy's Snow-play thread.

^^on that particular Washington summit, no avalanche gear, as we climbed the Lion Head winter route. When we hike into the bowl (Tuckerman's Ravine) and climb out of there to the summit cone, we bring avalanche gear.

We returned home safe, sound and tired. I felt like I spent the 4 days on the stair climber for 6 hours at a time.

The trip was great into a truly awesome place. We found lots of deep powder to ski and wonderful scenery. I met some new friends- one was part of the group that bought Schwinn after it was bankrupt.

Pic of me skinning toward Thompson Peak
IMG_0799.jpg

Me with Williams Peak in the background
IMG_0842.jpg

Getting ready to ski down.
CIMG2224.jpg

Pic of Yurt and Thompson Peak one morning.
CIMG2267.jpg

Scenery.
CIMG2252.jpg

CIMG2273.jpg

Going back to Williams Peak again. 3 nights and 4 days of skiing. I am in better shape this year so the 5.5 mile hike in should be much better. Record snow in the last few weeks and forcasted so we should have a great time. Here is a topo of the area we will be skiing.

yurt_terrain.jpg

cman said:
.... the 5.5 mile hike in... Record snow in the last few weeks and forcasted...

Thats all that stood out to me in that post ... your nuts !!! :lol:

Really though, glad you enjoy that kind of stuff and hope you have a blast Clancy :)

this year's climb up Washington on the unbroken Jewell Trail after epic snowfalls. 4 hours just to get to the summit. We usually round trip the climb in 5 hours. brutal. We were so spent, and a white out condition moved in, that we descended straight down the cog railway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbV6F5B0 ... re=related

Itsfree- vid looks great. We had much the same thing on our trip. Received 60cm of snow during our stay. Breaking trail to ski and breaking trail on the way out were tough but all worth it.

Pic showing snowfall from last 14 hours.
198605_1778447215243_1061260061_31888938_6185528_n.jpg

hahaha!!!...yes! that's awesome.

at times we were up to mid thigh with snowshoes. felt like we were getting nowhere. two steps forward, one step (slide) back.

it's not usually like that these neck of the woods.

a few weeks later we finally winter climbed the power line trail straight up Mt Greylock after yet another epic snowfall (we had 3 major storms this winter). Mt Greylock usually is about 2-2.5 hours round trip (2712' total elevation gain). Just summiting via the power line trial (visible behind us in this photo) took over 3 hours (then a one hour walk down)

this trail is steep. someone actually fastened fixed line at one part. I was getting a little vertigo at that section. was almost outside my skill level:

5464460117_0bcd41b2b0_b.jpg

Here are a few pics from the trip. The Sawtooth's are breathtaking everytime I see them especially up close.

Looking back where we skied earlier
SDC11856.JPG

Skinning out to ski
SDC11816.JPG

More skinning over to Meadow Lake area.
SDC11880.JPG

Celebrating St. Patty's day early one night at the yurt.
SDC11862.JPG

Skinning up after the last run to ski out.
SDC11913.JPG

Last shot before we leave. A couple of friends.
SDC11901.JPG

Hard to believe that you were just in all of that and it's 82 degrees down here right now. :shock:

Rat Rod said:
Hard to believe that you were just in all of that and it's 82 degrees down here right now. :shock:

I would still be there if I could. Probably some of the best skiing ever. Tomorrow though I am volunteering at the local ski area to help with kids who have cancer have a fun ski day.

those yurts are really nice. it must make being in back country so much nicer. sleeping (trying to sleep) in lean-tos gets old fast.

speaking of winter play....

I finally got around to watching one of my Valentine's Day presents my girl got me last night. For anyone into this, this is a must see. I had read the book first which I think made it that much more enjoyable to watch:

Watch-The-Wildest-Dream-2010-Streaming-Free-Online.jpg

The Ski season started late this year but it has been great so far. I took a few pictures around the hill just for fun.

IMAG0016-2.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0022-1.jpg

Re: Clancy's Snow-play thread. New pics 1-29

looks pretty Clancy.

there's not much snow to speak of here in N.E. Friday night we climbed Mt Greylock in MA, and what snow it had, was fast melting and making small brooks out of the hiking trails and especially the Thunderbolt ski trail. At 9:30 pm it was still 38 degrees. Should have been in the teens (F)

tomorrow it's supposed to be in the 50s. I'm not complaining as I've been getting a lot of great rides, but not much snow play. Haven't used my snow shoes yet this season.

Re: Clancy's Snow-play thread. New pics 1-29

We had a family wedding last weekend in McCall,ID so we went skiing at the hill I grew up skiing- Brundage.

406542_2824992539048_1086054714_32384660_1207008978_n.jpg

The Skittles Gang

430440_2994915106180_1061260061_32748861_1396145651_a.jpg

Also the Wed Night Ski league has started. We are becoming official, maybe it will help our times.

432225_2980074415172_1061260061_32745140_1302791903_n.jpg

Re: Clancy's Snow-play thread. New pics 2-15

Walker said:
Looks nice out there, we are seriously hurting for snow in the North East. Our local mountain is talking about closing March 1st :D

Our winter has been pretty poor too. Snowpack is late and hopefully catches up. We rely on it for Irrigation and electric power generation.

Back