BUILD OFF #7 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yoothgeye said:
You mean you didn't make me a Nine Vote Near Beer?

Naw, just the top three and me.
I did have to make Double Nickle's a Ginger "Ale" since he was underage.

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:
yoothgeye said:
You mean you didn't make me a Nine Vote Near Beer?

Naw, just the top three and me.
I did have to make Double Nickle's a Ginger "Ale" since he was underage.

And he still is. :wink:

I know. And I didn't even know that last year until after the voting. He is like the young Luke Skywalker of RRB.

kingfish254 said:
I know. And I didn't even know that last year until after the voting. He is like the young Luke Skywalker of RRB.

Nope, he's Anakin... and we all know what happened to him. :wink:

There have been a few more entries and we now have a fourth page of BO7 builds.

Since it looks like Peatbog has convinced Steve to change the name of the site to Rabbit Rod Bikes, I think we need some tougher mascots than the cute little bunnies that have been posted.

Something like a Killer Rabbit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvs5pqf-DMA

Run away! Run Away!

I realize I had a pretty huge signature before. but man, it was tough meeting the new rules of 75 characters.
I am glad that my build name wasn't one character longer.

You know I have been looking through all the threads since this thing started, and I can honestly say that I like every single bike that I've seen in one way or another. I mean something might not be my style, but I can appreciate the work and creative process that someone is putting into it. It's like bike art. There are so many ideas flying around. It's like this never ending bike building classroom. :D

To paint or not to paint, such a tough question that no one can answer but the builder I think.

I so embrace rattiness and dare I say the word "patina". It gives a bike soul. Mojo. History. Scars I don't cover up lightly.

But there has been some fine painting happening in these threads. So fine that I am thinking about it myself. There is a cleanliness, a unity, that a solid paint job can bring to a build. And the rattlecan inginuity I am seeing is inspiring. But by its very nature can transform a bike into something that looks new, erasing the mojo,( but setting it up to earn that mojo back).

I guess if your build has many different, brightly colored parts, it will look a bit patchwork, so in that case the choice is a bit easier (unless that is the look you are going for.)

I am not looking for advise on the subject. I am hoping as I get closer to the finish, the bike will tell me if it wants to be painted. But it just might be the toughest decision in the whole process for me. Heck in the end I might do both. Leaving masked off designs of patina in an otherwise clean paintjob. I will see when I get there.

END OF BABBLE

Fisch, that wasn't babble.
Mojo is the perfect word for the soul that is in these bikes. Some bikes come with it, others need some cool paint or "doodads" added to get that mojo to shine.

So everyone needs to gets dare mojo woyken!!!

Take it away Muddy and tell us how it's done ........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hEYwk0bypY

I am heading out to my shop with a tall cold one right now and see if I can "Get My Mojo Workin'".

Peatbog said:
When you have a purple bike with silver stars and it is a boy's bike, it makes the decision of painting much, much easier. Heck, the bike didn't just tell me it wanted painted; it grabbed me around the ankles and begged me to paint it.

But then again, I'd paint over the Mona Lisa if I needed a new canvas. It's been around long enough anyway. Time for something new.

You, Sir Peat of the Bog, are the main reason I am having this debate in my head! Your Eliminator has elevated the art of bike painting and makes me want to do it. Darn you! (In fact, knowing you can do that, I'd be disappointed if you didn't paint all of your builds.)

Kingfish- indeed we all need to get our mojo-a-go-go!

It's pretty cool how so many of the builds are already looking like some incredible bikes.
But if this year is like last year, there will still be plenty of changes to the builds.
I was looking over my BEER RUN thread and saw this early version of BEER RUN. This was day three of my build. I still like the lines of this version and will have to keep it in mind for a future build.

The people that only see the FINISHED BIKE photos just don't get the total picture of these builds.

20110704Photo_F0D5C0B8-93B0-33F2-5713-33A36C036766.jpg

The people that only see the FINISHED BIKE photos just don't get the total picture of these builds.

[/quote]

you said it ,I remember before I jumped in the builds I used this site as a reference. check out the first winner , see how much the bar has been raised.

Okay... some of you may have been wondering why I haven't started a build thread yet, and rightfully so. I haven't done a bike since BO4. But that's because God knew that when I got back from my 50-mile birthday ride this morning, my mother would surprise me with this beauty she had found in the trash!

100_3196.jpg

It's aluminum, spaced for 135mm rear wheel, and has V-brake bosses.
Two words: Rat Clunker.

Enough said. Now you know what I was waiting for. :mrgreen:

kingfish254 said:
It's pretty cool how so many of the builds are already looking like some incredible bikes.
But if this year is like last year, there will still be plenty of changes to the builds.
I was looking over my BEER RUN thread and saw this early version of BEER RUN. This was day three of my build. I still like the lines of this version and will have to keep it in mind for a future build.

Very true but for me a bike is NEVER "Finished" I just stop working on it for a few. Later I will change bits as I notice things I like and don't like.

I think I am going to use the AMF Star chainring above on FlexLiner 7. I will probably paint it anodized red and use a dogleg crank.

kingfish254 said:
I think I am going to use the AMF Star chainring above on FlexLiner 7. I will probably paint it anodized red and use a dogleg crank.

And that makes another star crank that will not be mine! :x

On the "paint" front, I've been doing lots of research. The OD paint is easy, but having to clean, prep, primer the chrome is bugging me. Hopefully I can start spraying some OD soon, at least on the tank, I'm really excited about my tank graphics and I'm itching to see who will "get" it.

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:

On the "paint" front, I've been doing lots of research. The OD paint is easy, but having to clean, prep, primer the chrome is bugging me. Hopefully I can start spraying some OD soon, at least on the tank, I'm really excited about my tank graphics and I'm itching to see who will "get" it.
the star cranks look awesome shined up

dragnusa said:
yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:

the star cranks look awesome shined up

There is already enough chrome on my bike, that is why I am thinking anodized red (after I polish it up a bit).

Back