Brooks Saddle Question.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a older Brooks saddle yesterday and was wondering if I needed to soften the leather or do anything like that with it? This is my first Brooks saddle and I want to protect it.
My mom told me she would use vaseline on her baseball gloves and leather horse saddles and it worked great. If the vaseline would work for my Brooks, how would I apply it? I heard that some leather softeners are applied to the underneath of the saddle but some said the top.
Any opinions? I am new to this kind of stuff. lol

I use Brooks Proofhide or Obenauf's boot grease. Never heard of using petroleum jelly.

Post a picture so we can see the condition.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Here are some pictures of it with and without flash:
DSCF5279.jpg

DSCF5281.jpg

DSCF5280.jpg

DSCF5284.jpg

DSCF5286.jpg

DSCF5289.jpg

Does it even need to be messed with? Or can I just use it the way it is?

You should be able to apply any leather conditioner. I would suggest trying whatever you buy in an inconspicuous spot. There are as many leather conditioning products out there as there are bike brands. Some will change the color more than others. There are roughly three category's. All natural, all "synthetic" and a blend of both. Vaseline is a petrolium product and I beleive can "eat" away at the leather over a long period of time. Most leather workers don't use this product. That's not to say it doesn't work. I beleive the Proofhide is probably a blend or all natural. It's really your choice. Just remember that leather is a porous substance. And like any skin it will dry and crack if not conditioned. That can not be reversed. If you want it to last and delay the wear and tear you must condition it. I have found that its best not to apply anything to the "underside" of the leather as it will absorb too much. Over conditioning can not be reversed and over conditioned leather will be very stretchy and will have too much memory.

It looks like you posted pictures just before I postedy my reply. That leather does look fairly dry. Here is what I suggest. Dampen a small rag with extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) and evenly coat the whole saddle maybe two or three times with about 12-24 hours in between oilings. The nice thing about EVOO is it shouldn't darken the leather much once fully absorbed. After that you should apply a wax type conditioner. Something in a paste form that you can rub in. Then just re-apply based on how stiff and dry the leather feels. I'd like to see pic's of your saddle after you treat it.

Some of the really old leather seats are just too far gone to salvage and ride on.

Don't be surprised if you end up splitting the leather at some point...there's only so much that can be done for leather that's been neglected for decades.

Rat Rod said:
Some of the really old leather seats are just too far gone to salvage and ride on.

Don't be surprised if you end up splitting the leather at some point...there's only so much that can be done for leather that's been neglected for decades.
If it cracks into you can redo the leather and have a cool seat again. I did a "how to" on re-leathering an old Lepper seat.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61094

Back