blue moon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hooch said:
looking great! I dont think I have ever seen crank arms twisted like that lol

Big burly guys doing bmx stuff on entry level or street bikes see a lot of those. :roll: Send postage and I'll ship you a piece of Haro to stare at. :lol:

Ken Nighplay said:
I guess those arms sill go in the trash. That is about all, long weekend and I feel like my helper did:
DSC01591.jpg
:lol:

:lol: just say steak and he'll look completely different in .001 seconds.

bike's looking good, helper's looking over worked. :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the positive comments. I am stuck, I love the frame and the way the paint looks. I love the flow of the bars. I like the wheels, but like I said before I want to change the knobby tires. And as much as I like the way the seat came out, I am thinking it looks too new. I have another very rusty springer that I think I will recover with a very distressed looking fabric. I am also thinking of using a old rusty chainwheel off a bike I just picked up. I guess I am waffling between having it look likeit just came out of a barn, or an old bike that has been 'hotrodded' up a little. Any thought would help. Thanks

i say you use all old parts, that paint job is too cool and real lookin to make it into a klunk-type. :D

i bet with a little leather dye you could make the seat you have now, fit the build alittle better. (make it look old)

icyuod2 said:
i bet with a little leather dye you could make the seat you have now, fit the build alittle better. (make it look old)
I've also heard of using tea bags/coffee grounds to distress leather. Or how 'bout just plain 'ol dirt!

I am feeling better about this seat

DSC01621.jpg

I have had it for about a year, lost it in the wreckage that is my shop, was going to have it blasted and refinished, but it works here.

DSC01623.jpg

My thoughts are 'the bars look a bit too shiney' but up close you can see where al the rust was, and 'it needs the right crankset something unique'
By the way thanks for the input, was thinking of taking some stain to the other seat, maybe some 60 grit paper too, but I couldn't do it it will look good as is on something else.

Have not had time to do much, but I did find some tires. I was looking for something with a little different tread.

DSC01625.jpg

DSC01626.jpg

I got some grips

DSC01645.jpg

And finally got a crank with a cool chain ring, don't know what it is from, {let me know if you do}

DSC01646.jpg

I hope to get it rolling this week, as we are getting ready to go on vacation and I know I won't get permission to take it unless it is ridable

My guess would be Western Flyer, this chainring came from a '60 western flyer english 3 spd.

spkt.jpg

i think it came on several brand bikes. its a sugino sprocket, i know that.

stretch said:
Thanks Stretch, mine came with a one piece crank arm but a cottered crank would be sweet.

FOUND OBJECTS said:
Ken Nighplay said:
My thoughts are 'the bars look a bit too shiney' but up close you can see where al the rust was, and 'it needs the right crankset something unique
got any rust kits left?
Yes I do, but don't tell anyone till the build is over.

stretch said:

So Sugino is a supplier? I had one of these on a Drake also.

i guess you could call it that. its a brand that makes certain parts, like bendix hubs, shimano (junk)deraillieurs, and the latter. they didnt captialize on making the bikes, rather made the bike companies a conglomerate. :)

Well it is officially a rider! I have some small details to add, but I won't show those till I post in the finished section. Rides smooth, seat is very comfy. I am very happy with the overall look. I had a bike I was going to steal the pedals of but I threw these on because I had to give something a hotrod feel.
DSC01772.jpg

Back