blue moon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I will be using this Huffman frame that I got from Simple man

CIMG0457.jpg

It is old and crusty and I want to add some scallops. TFor the paint job I will be using authentic house paint.

CIMG0460.jpg

CIMG0462.jpg

After I add some pinstripes I will attempt to age the new paint in hopes that it looks like an old barn find

I once painted a '75 Coupe Deville with house paint...
I actually had a bunch of complements LOL!
I was oange and I painted it black...
Not to mention the Flame job I did on the hood :mrgreen:
Good Luck!

Went with light blue for pinstripe, it is subtle and doesn't show up well in the pics

CIMG0469.jpg

CIMG0470.jpg

My daughter and her friend already knocked the frame over and chipped the new paint, but nothing compared to what I hope to do to it. Next step will be to take some stain and glaze to dirty up the white. I didn't clean or sand the framd before I painted so I am hoping when I distress it it will look like it was always a two toned paint job.

Nice job. I am a fan of leaving the old patina. Get the wrench and sand paper out now.

Thanks, biggest reason for leaving the paint as is when you scratch it it just gives it more character, no stress!

Well no more shiny paint,

CIMG0473.jpg

I am very happy with the way it turned out it looks good to me.

CIMG0474.jpg

Next I need to add some graphics and make a headbadge

this is the 2nd Huffman I've seen in the build off! about a '47 or '48. very cool, nice job on the darts!

Thanks for the comments. I was going to try to do some graphics, but I am leaning toward trying to make a realistic headbadge out of brass. I will clear the frame but I was thinking of putting a satin finish on it and then fogging a flat on the top side to look like it is faded. I have some ideas rolling around in my head as far as wheels, hope to get that done this weekend.

Perfect Patina.

Headbadge- Option would be to carve or mold plaster and cast it. OR etch(acid) on a sheet of copper and cut it out. Both seem hard but doable if you have the time. the best would to find a key chain that you could take a mold off of.

Best way to make that headbadge is to print it on photo printer paper---glue it to a base(old beer can) then pour clear rosin on top---very easly so it puddles and does not run off the sides---then just before it cures mold the badge to the headtube shape---being very carful nor to get you finger prints in the rosin.

frameteam2003 said:
Best way to make that headbadge is to print it on photo printer paper---glue it to a base(old beer can) then pour clear rosin on top---very easly so it puddles and does not run off the sides---then just before it cures mold the badge to the headtube shape---being very carful nor to get you finger prints in the rosin.
Dude, that is just brilliant!

Started to pick out parts to do a mock up.
CIMG0562.jpg

Some old Colson wheels
CIMG0563.jpg

Old stem not sure where I got it was just laying around
CIMG0564.jpg

Old seat, will give it a nice finish and recover

Back