Bicycle show ideas..I need your input

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

As some of you may have seen I went to a vintage hotrod show a couple weeks ago and saw a few vintage bikes running around. Last week I emailed the show promoter and asked f he was interested in doing a vintage bike show next year. He said he would love to, but no one has stepped up to do it. So...I was thinking it might be something cool to be involved in.

The show is called The Symco Shakedown. It is held in central Wis on a pretty neat layout. The cars are 1964 and older done in period correct hotrod style. This is the website for the show: http://www.symcoshakedown.com

So my question to you guys is this. To stay within the theme of the show, what bikes should or should not be included? I was thinking the obvious would be cruisers and balloon tire bikes. Maybe muscle bikes, but not BMX, mountain or road bikes. This is not a judged show. The only trophies given out are from various car clubs as a club favorite.

Would any of you be interested in an event like this? There is also a swapmeet if you wanted to sell some stuff.

Thanks in advance for your input, Greg

Re: Bike show ideas

i've done a few car shows and bike shows. when it comes to bikes you have to be open minded.

for example
1. don't use the word bike for the promo, use the word bicycle
2. since its the first bicycle show i would allow any bike made pre 1985, this way you'll have a better turnout
3. have people working that know the different type of bicycles
4. create areas by categories
a. cruisers, middle weight and tricyles can go together
b. light weight
c. mountain bike
d. bmx
e. muscle bikes and anything smaller can go together
f. ratrodbikes, inventions etc
5. good security

its going to be crazy, why? because people that bring 2 or 3 types of bicycles are going to want to have them together but you'll sweet talk to them that you have good security and they will eventually get used to it

hope this helps!

The promoters of the show are very strict with the cars and have not allowed those that don't fit the guidelines. They want the look and feel of downtown USA on a Saturday nite 1964. They would not be looking for a huge turnout, but something to compliment the cars. There are no areas specific for the cars, so the bikes would be spread out through out the grounds also. The Shakedown is something that is pretty unique. If you haven't already, check out their website.

I really don't think BMX, Mountain or Road bikes fit that that.

I do appreciate the input and before I take the leap, I will pass along your thoughts and any others the I get.

Why draw the line in the sand? I've always hated being excluded. I guess that whole mentality has added to my individuality. But it has always kept guys like me from guys like "them"
John

Our club, The Jersey Devils, is holding the first bicycle show at the Hot Rod Hoedown in northeast Philly on Sept. 10th. We have 2 classes-Judge's choice and People's choice.
trophy2a-1.jpg

Anyone can enter. The best advice we got was "Keep it simple."
hoedown.jpg

Mind you it's a whole different vibe than a 'classic" car show...more flat black and rust. 8)

ratcycle said:
Where will it be located and when? I might be interested in attending.

The next Symco Shakedown will be August 2012. It was just held 2 weeks ago for 2011. It is in a little town called Symco. Pretty much central Wis. I am trying to get a feel for what might be involved and what the interest might be. I'll keep you posted.

The simplest way to keep the bikes era correct would be to use the same date cutoff the car show uses. If they specify nothing newer than 1964 for example then do the same for the bike entries. Have stock restored and custom classes, maybe a survivor class as well. You'll likely get lots of balloon tire tank bikes and 20" muscle bikes, and maybe you could have a class for "rat rod" bikes built out of newer stuff but in a style that matches the look and feel of the era. Kinda like the bikes on here... :mrgreen:

I put on old school bmx shows, and one thing you will find is people do not want to let their bikes out of their sight, so trying to keep similar bikes in different areas will get you a lot of grief.

Back