Bicycle car rack

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Can anyone recommend a good car rack? I've never owned one but I plan on doing some traveling this summer. I have a four door Mazda 6 so I was thinking something on the roof but some of my bikes have wide tires. Any input appreciated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Thule roof mount. It's pain to put cruisers on the roof of a jeep. I bring a stepladder with me. The tracks aren't really wide enough for wide tires and they are just barely long enough for an electra cruiser. I want to get a hitch mount.

I picked up a Saris bones double on CL for $50 and its been great. I can easily move it between cars and it adjusts to a variety of bikes.

OK, here is my 2 cents. A roof rack allows access to the rear trunk, but I keep having to replace roof racks, garage doors, bicycles and car roof because I forget they are up there when I come flying into my garage, destroyed countless times until I came to the conclusion that my mind is getting shot and can't remember stuff. Even if you are young and strong minded, sooner or later you are going to slice your bikes on an overhang (at a motel or at home). Also they are a pain to put bikes on. Out went the roof rack to be replaced with a trunk rack for our cars and a hitch rack for the truck. The trunk rack doesn't work well with women's bikes, don't fit. Women's bikes are always jury rigged on the rack. Can't get into the trunk without removing bikes and partially removing the rack. The hitch rack is probably the easiest to use, but mountain bikes with front suspension don't fit well on them. I can't open my tailgate all the way with the hitch rack on and even less far with 2 bikes on it. A hitch rack is hard to put on if you have a 2 inch receiver as they are often designed for 1 1/4 receiver and the supplied adaptors are hard to work with. If you get one that sticks way out to allow clearance for the tailgate or hatch then you have problems backing up and they drag on the ground when you go over humps or curbs. I guess for me the hitch rack is the best of all the available bad solutions. If I am going out alone I toss it in the bed of my truck. I bought two old folders a year ago and I am going to try to put them in the car when we go in vacation. That might make life easier?
That's a lot of good info... I was thinking the roof rack because I have a lot of bikes with tanks on them... But after all that I'd hate to damage my bikes because I forgot they were up top... The saris looks like a good bet, my car has a spoiler and it looks like it will clear it but not sure about bikes with tanks...

There is a type of hitch mount that is "V" shaped , you hang the bike/s by their wheels , works with ALL types of bikes including tankers and girls bikes , can't remember the make but if you search " bicycle hitch rack " on Ebay and scroll thru you will find them , the best type of rack in my opinion

ive been looking at a saris hitch mount that the tires sit in, and it grabs the frames. id still keep a roof rack or 2, for my sons bike. I have one bike with a 3" rear tire and it doesn't fit into the thule at all. I wrap it with a rope and tie it. they seem pretty secure up there but im always worried ill forget they are up there and pull into a drive through or something. on the roof of my jeep they are pretty high, handle bars are probably around 10' off the ground.

I can vouch for Saris Bones (4 place) if you go that route. Lack of access to back of SUV has not been an issue yet. If I have to I can use side doors.

If I could stand site of trailer hitch the 360 days a year I don't use a bike rack, I'd get a swing away hitch rack. They are nifty.

My thule trunk rack fits my forester (no spoiler) but not the wife's 05 Volvo xc70, the shape of the sheetmetal makes it pinch.

I have 2 hitch racks, one is light weight, swings down to the ground & works good with 2 bikes (or 3 if I don't care about the paint). I like it because I can throw it in the back of the car and it's compact. The bigger rack swings out to the side, made for 4 bikes but I need to modify it so it. it's made to sandwich a top tube and that just doesn't cut it unless you're hauling large mtb's with a nearly horizontal top tube or just road bikes. I'll be welding a pair of adjustable arms on it.

I pretty much don't use my roof racks anymore, I have 3 fork mount trays and an upright mount style but my mtb is 20mm thru axle so that wont work and the downtube is so big the upright wont grab it. Also, with old bikes, the fender usually hits the tray if you try to fork mount and the upright is really wobbly with all that weight up there. + my cruiser rider is nearly 50lbs so balancing that while you operate the down tube clamp on your tip toes can be interesting...

I like the tray style hitch racks.

iim ordering a swagman that is like the ones on the front of buses,$160.00 with free shipping

What I like about the Saris bones is that, when I don't need it, it folds up nicely and I can keep it in my trunk (for those last second runs to grab up a CL score, etc). I've hauled tank bikes, girls bikes, even a Miami Sun trike, and never had a problem since the arms adjust individually. The straps and arms are plastic so I've never had an issue with scratching. If mounted properly you can still access your trunk with the rack on.

For balloon tire bikes. The swagman xc2 works great. Easy on and off. Thick Brick tires fit. Amazon has it for 120 out of Portland OR.

Latest posts

Back