Bent springer forks - rideability?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am thinking about using a set of 26" bent springer forks on my current build for the stretched lowrider look....but how bad will my crank arms/pedals be scraping? I'm using a Columbia Superb re-issue frame and 26" wheels with Quick Bricks

Also, after reading the springer fork thread I'm a little leery because of the reported quality issues...anyone care to share their experiences ?

32622.jpg

I had one on my beach cruiser and loved the way it rode. The quality is probably questionable but I'm 230, so it got a workout and I never had a problem with mine. The peddles did scrape if I wasn't paying attention on the corners but it never bothered me. All you have to do to solve that is put a shorter crank on it. Heres mine.
Bikes004.jpg

fidel,

love the avatar... one of my all time favorite albums... it's 25 years old this year...

oct.

definitely a shorter crank. I went from a 7" to a 6". A little more work starting off but once you get going it's fine. I love the ride though.

If you don't shorten the crank just remember to keep the inside pedal up on turns...it'll only take once or twice to remind you. I also found it's a little more difficult to turn, wants to keep straight.
fah5.jpg

the look makes it all worthwhile, though. 8)
PS I'm a big guy and I haven't collapsed it yet.

FYI, I just installed a shimano nexus inter 3 speed hub on mine with the shorter cranks and it rides like a dream. makes it so much easier to ride. As I mentioned before I had to use a 6" crank to eliminate sparks because of this bent springer fork. ME LIKEY!!! :D

i bent my own springer.. :mrgreen: and it works just like it used to. all it changes is the turning geometry or whatever you wanna call it.

I've had this one up to 25mph, going downhill...SCARED me to death!
001-251.jpg

This one wasn't as bad. I found that the apes, either because they were higher or WIDER, made it handle better. Sorta like a big steering wheel compared to a little steering wheel on a car.
006-16.jpg

KOTA said:
I've had this one up to 25mph, going downhill...SCARED me to death!
001-251.jpg

This one wasn't as bad. I found that the apes, either because they were higher or WIDER, made it handle better. Sorta like a big steering wheel compared to a little steering wheel on a car.
006-16.jpg
I love the seat on your green bike :shock:

I have a little different take on a bent springer, mainly not bent forks but a bent headset bracket! You'll also need to find a shorter bolt and cut a few coils from the spring. This is the post from my build off bike two years ago. You'll get the lower stance and longer wheel base which makes a sweet ride. I will echo scraping comments though, i have 175mm cranks on this thing and you just have to keep the pedals at least level in hard turns. The other thing you will lose is very low speed maneuverability, i have to do 3 point turns to turn around on sidewalk corners when i'm crossing the street. I think for a cruiser though they are perfect, if you want a light weight, quick turning bike with low rolling resistance wouldn't you have already bought a road bike?

Brentley said:
First mock up here, rode it to work for a few days just because it's fun to ride. I just completed the springer mod tonight. It's a repop Schwinn style springer, i never really was quite happy with the way the spring lined up so i flipped the headset spring bracket upside down and bent it to about 70 degrees or so. In order to make it all fit together i had to get a 3" bolt and take out roughly an inch from the spring. It takes some finesse and a few choice words to line it all up but man does it look clean. Just a touch of rake and the headset doesn't look so cluttered.

IMG_4833 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

IMG_4834 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back