Been offline, got hit by car!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been missing my rat rod bretheren lately! I had high hopes of doing the build-off this year, but things just got too busy. So, I have been commuting by bike for a year now, 3 or 4 days a week, and everything was going peachy up until 5 weeks ago.

A guy ran a red light and hit me doing 30MPH, shattered my hip/femur and put me in the hospital for 10 days. Bike needs a new fork, but I ended up getting titanium in my leg instead.

I'm recovering, will go back to work in about 4 more weeks. It looks like I will need a trike to ride until my leg is back to strength, might be 4 more months! But I'm assembling a parts list to build an Atomic Zombie tadpole trike. Anybody wanna see one of those given the rat rod treatment? :)

Anyway, just checking in, keep on riding!

The hip:
185433_2229172004722_1110486501_32618883_1635888_n.jpg

Still thinking about this. Pretty amazing to be hit by a car at that speed and live to tell the story.

If he got caught, I'm sure its only a slap on the wrist as always :roll:. Glad to hear you are OK.

That picture is horrifying! So glad you're alive. But man, that must be painful.

Well, the guy that hit me was there, but the accident report was completely wrong. I contested it once I got a copy and realized they put nobody at fault and several other major mistakes. No eyewitness accounts were taken, either. The bills will be taken care of, but it has been a major roller coaster.

The leg hurt for a while, but it's fine now, just have to get my knee flexibility back, and build up the muscles in that leg again. That's gonna take a while.

I hope you have a good (great) physical therapist. Get the best you can and do everything they say.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
I hope you have a good (great) physical therapist. Get the best you can and do everything they say.

Starting pt next week, I'm going to the same place the hospital staff use. :D

I went out to the shed and took stock of the bike graveyard to see what I will need to build the Zombie Warrior trike. If I use what I already have, it will be very "rat" but hey, I'm cool with that. Thinking about converting the OCC chopper to a singlespeed coaster wheel, and using my Sturmey 8 speed for the trike. I can also get matching Sturmey front hubs made just for trikes, that would be about the only thing I would have to buy.

Eh. Going fast is overrated anyway :-D Who wants to see a rat rod tadpole?!

Okay, I got an official reply from Sturmey Archer, they aren't going to have any of the trike drum hubs until around Christmastime, and aren't going to get any of the quick-release ones. So, unless I can find some on fleabay, looks like I will have to go the 20mm thru-axle disk brake hub route, which is a lot more work than drum hubs.

Apparently, the Sturmey trike hubs are rarer than hen's teeth. Who knew? Ugh. My dad is picking up his new welder next week. Hope to have progress pics up in a couple of weeks!

Okay, just found out that SJS cycles in England has no trike hubs, but they *do* have every single spare part to put a set together... !

Looks like I'll be buying the parts and getting things rolling. Not sure how bad the shipping will be from the UK, but would still be cheaper than buying a set new. I can use standard 12mm grade 8 bolts for axles! Me likey.

Back