basman frames?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LarzBahrs said:
... Did you look at the welds?? As for the basman frame being made in taiwan, the welds are beautiful and smooth unlike any of the wally world stuff, as long as people use beautiful fit and fitment on their products anywhere Id be glad to support them. ....basman stand(s) for quality.

In this day and age, Taiwan makes frames as well as any other nation in the world. Maybe not so much the brazed stuff, but certainly TIG welded stuff and CF frames. I don't doubt that the Basman frames are quality; at that price, they bloody well'd better be top-notch.

The reason why I wouldn't be happy to support someone charging a mint for a Taiwanese frame has nothing to do with quality. I am absolutely confident that the fit n finish of a Basman is "Beautiful"; the ugly part is, the profit/support isn't guying to the guy holding the torch. The bulk of that $600 is going to the middlemen standing between you and the guy in Taiwan who actually built your frame. The cost of materials and labor is relatively very small with these Taiwanese frames.

Does Basman actually stand for quality? I've heard that they offer quality goods, but one might argue that it is actually Maxway (or whichever firm in Taiwan is actually producing the frames) that stands for quality.

-rob

ps- it is my understanding that very few frames are actually built by machine in the far-east. It's mostly handmade stuff, with the nicer/costlier frames being made by the more skilled hands...or by hands who are allotted more time to perfect their products

Just checked my welds on the new 'Royal', they are as good as my best have been, the bike looks straight and true and rides fine. If I was building my own my bet is I wouldnt be able to get the high buck premium tubing anyway, so a lesser grade would be my stock, maybe worse than what they used; then there is the bending.........the red powdercoat isnt perfect, but my paint job wouldnt have been either. 68 radial spoked wheels,,,,,,,24x3 fats.....snotty!, a nice crashrail spring wide saddle and (on mine anyway) Dyno wide cruiser bars mounted on a real triple tree fork. Gearing was too short for me at 44/22 so I just swapped in a 19; way better for ridin' the levy and I might even try an 18, but with the 19 I pulled some of our country road hills OK. (an 18 would be not too far different than a typical British 3 spd in 2nd.) I like the foot way forward and the look. It is not a Basman, though it lets me try the style/riding position without breaking the bank or not doing it at all. Really, it was this or not doing it. It isnt illegal, immoral, or unethical.
So........me bad? I hesitated to post this because of some responses here........ on a site like RatRodBikes? There are plenty of other (pick your adjective) bike sites where that is the rule. I like this one because it welcomes people who 'are willing to go there' in all kinds of directions.
BTW, IF I ever have 'my ship come in' I will likely buy all the high end whatever that catches my fancy.........last I heard it was somewhere in the North Atlantic looking for an iceberg.........

All the discussion about who makes good bikes. I'm thinking Basman gets to charge what they do ,because of the design. Bas came up with a killer design that may only happen once in a lifetime. As far as which bike is the best , the one you like the most is the best. That guy riding a $16,000 5 oz carbon fiber hooptido thinks all cruisers are junk no matter who made them. He is not wrong either. They all work for a designed purpose. Some here are designed to make you and others smile. Don't knock the guy who can make a dollar off of his design....he earned it and if he dosen't , then he won't be building them for long. I bet Ol Bas is somewhere with a pencil and paper trying to come up with another fantastic design....it won't be free either. :lol: :lol:

LarzBahrs said:
Dude, your joking im sorry. How in the heck would you ever think that bike was not worth 50 dollars. Did you look at the welds?? As for the basman frame being made in taiwan, the welds are beautiful and smooth unlike any of the wally world stuff, as long as people use beautiful fit and fitment on their products anywhere Id be glad to support them. The micargi royale on the other hand while it is probably made in china or taiwan as well , just like all the other micargis. The welds are cheap and the metal cheaper because they are done by machine. Basman came out first with that design while it is a taiwan frame it is a basman. Or you can go the route of making your own frame in that design, more power to you. I just dont have the welding knowledge yet to produce such beautiful welds or bend the tubes as beautifully as the people there but I soon will with enough practice then I will create my own frame but in the mean time Im glad to ride basman because they stand for quality.
I was playing it cool trying not to seem eager to buy it.

gcrank1 said:
And then throw it a frame pile, just because of a broken pedal........! ? Where's the love? My old rat parts get more respect than that.........you gotta be strokin' us.
The frame pile at my house is keepers. And if I had a pipe bender like uncle stretch I would be making my own frames

The Chopperdome controls the design of the Basman, they demand high quality from the people that make them the frames, and they sell it as part of an overall selection of cool parts that caters to custom builders throughout the world. When you support the sellers of the Basman frame you are also supporting a company that makes available all kinds of other cool accessories. If you want the cool new parts available in the future you should consider supporting the companies that make those parts available. Micargi doesn't have a store front that makes parts available like the Chopperdome or ChoppersUS does. Micargi uses the designs of others to thier own benefit, taking away sales from companies like the Chopperdome, an act that hinders the Chopperdome from being able to offer those other cool parts we love.

If you want the cool stuff to be available in the future, you better support the guys who make it available to you now. You can buy cheap rip-offs, but in the long run you'll be cooking your own goose, and you may find the cool bike stuff you need is no longer available - because the companies that supplied those parts had to close - for lack of support.

Taiwan is not communist China, we went to them for getting stuff made when we couldn't get it done here at a price we were willing to pay. Unless your using original factory stuff most of the stuff like tires and spring forks, handlebars etc. come from Asian suppliers. I'm fine with that, we as a nation asked for it to be this way by our buying habits and by voting in politicians who supported a move away from domestic production. We collectively like to buy cheap, that's the hard reality. At least the Chopperdome controls the design and quality, and puts profits back into the store to make other cool parts available to us. A big Yes for the Basman! A big "no" to Migargi!

Dorian

I only plan on buying frames that accept 4" wheels from this point on. That eliminates 95% of the frames that have been discussed here. And I will never purchase another completed modern bike because no one makes a complete bike with the features I want. My next purchase will be one of the Choppers US 24" Chopper Frames that does accept 4 1/4" wheels. For $200 you get a raw frame w/ the extra wide BB, integrated disc brake bracket & V Brake Posts for the rear, fender mounts, extra wide BB Axel & Set, Head Badge and Mounting Bolts for a Rear Fender & V Brakes. The following year I will build a Basman. I also have a few custom frame design ideas that I would like to see come to fruition which is entirely possible w/ a friend of mine that does Custom Frame Building. I've got 3" Wheels on my Dyno Roadster and even though I need a new Rear Triangle for it I am going to keep that bike at the 3" threshold. For Custom Classic Bike Builds I use one of the 2.35 Tires that are available. I like the looks and the feel of Fat Tires.

The reason I intend to buy a "Real" Basman Frame is the same reason as anyone that wants to buy an original versus a knockoff. I plan on moving to Florida to be around my boys and the local Chopaderos branch is just 20 minutes south. I have no intentions of joining them for a ride w/ a knockoff Basman - yea right. Yes they are expensive but I would rather eat Kraft Boxed Mac & Cheese for 2 months and get the real deal - wouldn't be the first time. To me any bike or bike part is worth what you are willing to spend for it. Robert

Yes they are expensive but I would rather eat Kraft Boxed Mac & Cheese for 2 months and get the real deal - wouldn't be the first time. To me any bike or bike part is worth what you are willing to spend for it. Robert

Right on! When I make the decision to get something as important as a bike I always try to get the best (within reason), and worry about recovering from the financial hit later. Still haven't starved to death. And besides- I've never bought anything, and wished later on that I had a cheaper, and crummier one.

JWM

Hey guys bought a Basman from SFCYCO bout 2 yrs ago. Saved the box for if ever I need to shipout a frame or whatever.
fdea585c.jpg

968b8b94-1.jpg

I've seen lots of variations or personality on a Basman bike and hey all power to them. It's got classy yet modern lines to it. I have nothing against it. It was at that point in time when Sam posted his prototype for sale that I needed to sell something. Bud of mines bought it. So I did not have the pleasure in building one. You guys might know this fact already. There were only 5 or 7 hand made Basman and one belongs to Sam
83ba368d.jpg

Just adding my 2 cents with pictures

i have a basman med. frame... ive had it for 3 years, and recently, the frame cracked near the seatpost weld.... i posted a pic on facebook, and Bas himself from Chopperdome contacted ME, and replaced the frame no questions asked for no charge. i stand behind that kind of company.

Latest posts

Back