basman frames?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been seeing them pop up on here quite a bit, and what ive know so far is they are from the netherlands and cost around $600 ish in the usa?
is there any frames made here in america that might be a bit cheaper but a long the same lines?

i want to build a heavy big tired bike.
thanks =]

This is biggest mass produced culprit of 'imitation' I've seen available in the US. But you're getting a Chinese mass-produced product vs. a a hand-built european quality frame.
With shipping you're looking at $400, but that's a complete bike.
http://www.bikebuyers.com/royal-photos.htm

Your call....
Dr. T

i've read that too, basmans are made in china now,
but i cannot believe that they would compromise on quality.
however for me a basman frame is quite expensive(i would have to save up some cash to afford one), and i've been looking at that micargi royal aswell.
its design is ofcourse not original but i like how they tried and make it look different.
i would customize the frame anyway if i had one.
I wonder what the low end quality on the micargi represents.
is it the whole bike? or is the frame ok and are the components that make it low end?
if the frame lacks strenght, would it be easy to make subtile reinforcements?
(like those you see on the electra rs/ratrod frame).

would love to hear what anybody thinks about this.........

I'm not 100% sure, but think the frames are made in Taiwan, not China.
I also doubt the frame is stainless, but I'm not gonna scratch some paint to make sure. :lol:
If it was stainless and handbuilt over here, I'm pretty sure it would cost even more... :?

Rhalf please correct me if I'm wrong.

Project 346/The chopperdome never claimed the frames were made in Holland. It says Dutch design, and the first seven (known as the lucky seven) were done in Holland. All other frames that have serie # starting with 346BAS are made/produced/handbuild* in Taiwan (not China as most crap on US market)

The frames are well made at an old schwinn/gt "factory" ... place where schwinn and GT had frames made in the past ....judge on the quality and design/options to customize instead of were it's made.

* handbuild- no robots, just a great welder doing his job.

Project 346-The Chopperdome

The quality of the basman was never the issue here.
quality obviously comes with a pricetag.
the question was if there are similair designs for less money.
it is not uncommon that there's talk about cheaper bikes.
due to the crisis not everybody can afford quality.
is it wrong for those ones to consider the "chinese crap"?

badmuller said:
due to the crisis not everybody can afford quality.
is it wrong for those ones to consider the "chinese crap"?
I see a challange now, can i take "chinese crap" and make it a cool dependable cruiser.
Maybe some day....................

the crisis is due to poeple who want too much instead of looking for long term, and I would say quality as well. it's not wrong to consider, but I would spend my money wisely and go for long term, better to look for "known" suitable frame 2nd hand I would say.

I wasn't reacting on the issue of "chinese crap" or if you should use/buy it...more the fact people wondering where the frames are made.

Rat Rod said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't a good majority of all bike store brand bikes these days manufactured in China?

The big brands (Trek, Specialized, Giant, Surly and others) are made in Taiwan. Giant got their start making frames for other people including Schwinn back in the early 80's.

just want to clear the air....im not trying to say basmans arent well built....ive just got this stigma about buying chinese made stuff(im of the mind set that our country should be an industrial nation again.....not just a consumer...but ill stay off that rant)....ive seen quite a few basmans and have nothing bad to say about the quality or design....i just wont buy one(doesnt mean i still dont like them :wink: )

Latest posts

Back