Awesome bike collection in Mount clemens

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
While browsing Craigslist last week an ad caught my eye about a gentlemen who had tons of vintage bicycle parts for sale. My girlfriend and I happened to be in the area and I decided to give him a call to inquire about headlights. He said to come on over so we found the exit and 3 miles later we arrived.

He met us with a handshake and proceeded to lead us to his back shed. Right away he started giving us a history lesson about the property and that his shed was the first poured concrete building in the area built in 1911. He then took us inside past his chrysler crossfire and up a ladder into vintage parts heaven. He had pedal cars a Murray pedal tractor. (one car was one he got for Christmas on his 6th birthday.) Along with this was walls of rims, fenders, racks, and handlebars. Some spread out on the floor. Totes of headlights and speedometers. Some of which were still in the original packaging from the 50s and 60s.

He then took us to this parts bike corral which had some 60s middle weights and British light weights even a ladies spaceliner. Nothing too exciting. Then he took us to an outbuilding next door. He opened the door to a garage full of anything from a 36 elgin tank bike to a complete Schwinn excelsior b6. This was just the intro...

He then lead us to his house and down into his basement. What was behind the door made my jaw drop. He had TONS of tank bikes, balloon tires, prewar skip tooth, wood rim 28s. I had never seen a collection so big. (not much was for sale) he even had a 40s Hudson badged Schwinn with the original bill of sale.

66679f47602a52d96a6a9f1ceee425ef.jpg
74541b6b1f4bfe98c1dc631477136acb.jpg
48b605a1ba6437fe2bce236406597c9d.jpg
3be559bc02bcaeae9d6dce28fb55adec.jpg
26bf8c86639868f096ae2617fd0b3d95.jpg
b42cfa8b29bc11f3731afcef3edbf8fb.jpg
3a682693a7cb3fc44c469ff3d86da716.jpg

He had so many stories and still had so many things from his past such as his first slot car, his grandma's sewing machine and a wood table his great grandfather built in the 1800s when he was blind.

I may have only left with a raspberry reflector, but talking with this gentleman made me appreciate the fine folks who are in this hobby and how easy it is to make a connection with them. He also invited me back whenever I was in the area. I may take him up on the offer. *will [emoji2]

Last edited:
Ditto on the pictures. I have a friend who ended out owning a bicycle shop that closed in about 1940. The property was abandoned for years and the new owners wanted everything cleaned out. He went there, looked, asked how much $. They said we just want you to take it away. Most were wood wheeled. He has over 100 vintage bikes that he will show you and he is not into rats. They have to be almost new looking before he put them in his collection. If he replaces a wheel it has to be original with galvanized spokes. He doesn't even tell people he has these older ones. He just lets people see his Spacelines, Paramonts, big wheel and about 10 muscle bikes and stuff from the 40 to 60s. I knew him for years before he took me into his shop attic to show me his boxes of parts and bikes from the 20s. I never knew he had this collection. I am slowly working on getting him to sell me the parts to build a 20s wood wheeled bike. I am promising to restore it to original, hoping this will sweeten the deal, but so far he has just said maybe someday. He has rows of wood wheeled frames hanging on the walls, all with tags telling what they are. The wheels have bad wood and petrified tires. He has 20's racing hubs and pedals, even new parts to build the very old long spring seats. Old square tanks, Delta headlights and parts, new skip tooth chains, old spokes in the original boxes. There must be a lot of this stuff still around because they made so many bikes. He also has everything else like vintage derailleurs and MAFAC cantilever brakes, head badge collection, coaster brake arm collection, anything bike related that is old or unusual. He has them in vintage lighted cabinets that light up and rotate around to show it all off. No pictures allowed.

Back