ape hangers when are they too tall?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
well i was out buying parts for my higgins low rider and to look at a potential bike i wanted to buy and i found some cool parts.
got a banana seat sissy bar and these extremely long ape hanger bars for 65 bucks everything.
the gripe i have with these bars is they are very flimsy and have a lot of flex to them so might be more show then go.
i was gonna start my next project and the missus said she wanted to see them on my genesis 29er.
so with that being the only bit o info i needed to actually do this here they are on my genesis 29er
the bike is up to my shoulder and im 5 11
little too tall but they are cool.
so the question remains is there a such thing as too tall? once you get riding their not too bad but getting off the bike has proven to be troublesome.
any ideas? feel free to show pics
here is the pics of my genesis
enjoy
Sean

Normally I would say there is no such thing as too tall, but I hate that flex the tall ones get!

When getting off have you tried moving your hands down to either side of the stem? That is one way to steady yourself and get lower with more control.

Luke.

I'd say it's all down to perspective really & the look you like. I sometimes like the look of huge apes that almost look too big for the bike they're fitted to. I suppose too tall would maybe be when you can no longer ride the bike properly?

As far as appearance, that's up to you.
But in medical terms, if your hands are above your heart for a prolonged time, they will go numb.

Because of that, apparently, in some countries and states there are laws in regards to handlebar height due to hand numbness being unsafe.

But I believe those will mostly apply to motorcycles.

Too tall:
apehangers_zpse009103b.jpg

When it comes to how they look, well that is personal preference. When it comes to how they ride, I personally dont like them if they have my hands above my shoulders. I like them when my hands are just slightly lower than my shoulders.

When your actually in a Hanging Position, unless you like that sorta thing! LOL

I personally prefer smaller to mid-size apes on my cruisers. They keep my back and neck straighter and my head up, resulting in improved visibility and comfort.

Improved coolness too. :cool2:

well they were a lil too tall for my genesis but they fit my schwinn dx quite well.
They are never to tall, if that's the look your going for!!

attachment.php

Ron, sitting on my stretch. he's approx. 5'10"

attachment.php
that bike is awesome i love it.
those apes look like the same ones i got except mine are chrome or at least look to be chrome.
they look cool in black i may have to spray mine.
that workshop looks like a dream come true for someone like me. i gotta make my workspace look that cool.
sean

Back