Anyone up for a tall bike challenge?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UGH, My Flippin welder is dead!! I was back at it, making some decent progress & then... NOTHING! It's like the thing isn't even plugged in.
I thought I found the problem when I found a loose wire in the trigger, but fixing that & replacing the fuse has not fixed it. So frustrating!!!

Mine never break down.
MyWelder.jpeg

PortableRatRodWelder-17.jpg

Graylock

Graylock, I wish I had the know how to make my own, but instead I just picked up a $149.99 special at Northern Tools. I just tried it out in the dark and it seems to work a lot better then the last one that just died!

yoothgeye said:
ozzmonaut said:
I figured I'd post a pic of my swingbike until I can get more done on my tallbike

Cool, my question about a swingbike like that is, how far can you swing before the frame pushes your leg off the pedal of the swing side? What is the remedy?
You can get pretty far to the side, but then you have to throw your leg over. If you can unicycle then you can get the front all the way beside you. There are some guys getting crazy on swingbikes on youtube. I mainly use mine to ride the curbs or ride in really tight circles, or to let drunk friends hurt themselves.

Well i got some time in on this bike this weekend when really I wasnt that hopefull seeing we got a new puppy this weekend and I've been preoccupied with that. Unfortunatly my progress was more in reverse than forward because I didnt follow the simple rule of measure twice cut once. :x :x :x :x :oops:. But heres where I am now after making a nice long headtube and tacking it on. My next step is to get my new bender put together and bend this bottom tube. Maybe this week.
deedle6.jpg
deedle7.jpg
dante7.jpg

I'm not happy with the unevenness of the upper cantilever bars. I may chop a set from another frame and replace the ones that are on there now. I still need to decide what size front fork & wheel combo to use; then extend the steering tube, fabricate a mount for the sissy bar, redo the axle slots in the rear dropouts, add a chain adjuster/tensioner to the lower bottom bracket and finish the welding.
006.JPG

BTW; cute puppy!

ozzmonaut said:
You can get pretty far to the side, but then you have to throw your leg over. If you can unicycle then you can get the front all the way beside you.

So would a swingbike help you learn to unicycle?

TommyTwoTime said:
Well i got some time in on this bike this weekend when really I wasnt that hopefull seeing we got a new puppy this weekend and I've been preoccupied with that. Unfortunatly my progress was more in reverse than forward because I didnt follow the simple rule of measure twice cut once. :x :x :x :x :oops:. But heres where I am now after making a nice long headtube and tacking it on. My next step is to get my new bender put together and bend this bottom tube. Maybe this week.

Wow that is cool. Can't wait to see it finished.

First: the dog is AWESOME :mrgreen:
Second: the bike is AWESOME :mrgreen:

Looks great :D

yoothgeye said:
ozzmonaut said:
You can get pretty far to the side, but then you have to throw your leg over. If you can unicycle then you can get the front all the way beside you.

So would a swingbike help you learn to unicycle?
I doubt it. Although I have thought of attaching some handlebars to the uni. I was thinking that maybe if I had handlebars then riding it wouldn't be so awkward. I found two unicycles for cheap and gave one to a friend. He learned to ride in a month and I'm still falling all over the place.

Alright! Finally some shop time. The tubing roller worked O.K but I noticed that after a while of rolling back and forth, the tubing became twisted to the point that I was seriously considering tossing it. I was able to save it after using my fire hammer and some shear arm strength to pull it back straight. The heat marks are noticable but I never got the tubing cherry red. Here it is just clamped on to show position. Also I found a use for these rear chainstays. Stay tuned this weekend as I'll be putting in some serious hours on this thing.
deeweeeb2.jpg
deeweeeb1.jpg

017.JPG

015.JPG

I still have to finish all the welding, find a 16" tube & rim strip, make some custom heavy duty training wheels, find different sprockets, take a link out of the chain, clean & lube all the bearings, sand, prime & paint the thing. It's a lot of work, good thing I enjoy it!! :D

TommyTwoTime said:
I really needed to stabilize this frame, so I decided if I was going to have a straight bar, then now was the time to add it. Its just tacked in enough to hold it together so if I decide I dont like it then its easy to remove it.
1highhorse4.jpg

I really like the straight bar! Is that a head on your shelves? lol

Thanks Carvingbike, I like the straightbar too. Now that I've slept on it, I think I'll keep it there. And the head on my shelve, thats Alister. He guards the shop when Im not around. I think he just goofs around all day and hides my tools on me. He doesnt say much... just stares. :shock:

Back