Anyone up for a tall bike challenge?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I have already cleaned up the bearings, races, and sprocket and greased and installed all of it. It's been a productive morning. I don't usually have Wednesday off from both jobs, but I'm glad that it worked out this time. I might be riding this thing by tonight.

skullman.jpg

I'm in Mount Airy , NC. However, my grass was green before the winter, and through all the snow and ice it never even really turned. I have brown patches but that's it. I ran into some issues on my bike. I can't find a front/rear sprocket combo that gets my chain around the lower chainstay. Looks like I will need to incorporate a tensioner/re-routing sprocket. I plan to use the rear hub from the Komet Super that I almost used for the build. I will probably grind the flanges off of it, line it up in the lower crank hanger, and weld it in place. I'll install the axle, sprocket, and bearings but leave out the brake components. Looks like this project might take longer now. Had it not been for the chain rubbing the frame, I'd be riding it now.

I got up a little early and made time to do the things posted above. I got it all hooked up and took it for a ride. I still need to find a more comfortable set of handlebars, but so far so good. I might also weld in a bar going from the droputs of the top frame to the seat tube on the lower frame to make it look more professional. I would like for the front wheel to be tucked a little closer. It feels a little far forward. I'll check it against the angle on my other tall bike. It is really nice and sunny today but cold rain coming this weekend.
SANY0456.jpg

I flipped the fork which put the front axle about 1 1/2" closer to the bike, but then it pulled hard in whichever direction I'd steer. I'm afraid I might have to shorten the fork by a couple of inches to make the steering easier. Also the 1 3/8" tires feel weird on this bike. I think I'd prefer balloon tires. So I might have to actually change wheels and everything.

ozzmonaut said:
I got up a little early and made time to do the things posted above. I got it all hooked up and took it for a ride. I still need to find a more comfortable set of handlebars, but so far so good. I might also weld in a bar going from the droputs of the top frame to the seat tube on the lower frame to make it look more professional. I would like for the front wheel to be tucked a little closer. It feels a little far forward. I'll check it against the angle on my other tall bike. It is really nice and sunny today but cold rain coming this weekend.
SANY0456.jpg
Nice. How did you do that chain idler?

Graylock

I used the hub from thr komet super hub on the rims I was going to use originally. I was going to grind the flanges off and weld it into the lower bracket. But I realized i might need a bit more clearance so I tightened up the chain, lined up the hub, and welded it into the outside of the lower bracket. It works surprisingly well. I was afraid the chain might jump. The drivetrain is PERFECT. The steering might need help though. We'll see how it goes. Should have more posted at the beginning of next week.

ozzmonaut said:
I used the hub from thr komet super hub on the rims I was going to use originally. I was going to grind the flanges off and weld it into the lower bracket. But I realized i might need a bit more clearance so I tightened up the chain, lined up the hub, and welded it into the outside of the lower bracket. It works surprisingly well. I was afraid the chain might jump. The drivetrain is PERFECT. The steering might need help though. We'll see how it goes. Should have more posted at the beginning of next week.
Just wondering how that idler worked out for you. I used a fixie hub on the Jua Kali build and I worried how the chain would stay on with the slackness of the 6-speed derailer. It was on the power side of the chain and it has never popped off.

On the Shadow it was more like the front chain loop of a tandem bike. I needed lots of adjustment so I turned a BMX free wheel into an idler by removing the pawls inside and mounting it to parts of a handlebar stem. This setup works really well.

Graylock

The main thing with using the idler like that is that it has to be lined up perfect. Also the chain needs to be pretty tight. When you are dealing with a length of chain like that it can flop around a bit if you don't get it right. The build isn't done yet though. I need to work on the fork situation. It seems very close to my purple one as far as the angle goes, but steering is drastically different. I'm really stoked about the components coming together like it did, but I'm stumped on the steering. I really think it could just be awkward due to the skinny tires. I'm working 6 days this week so I might not get much done, but I also don't sleep often, so then again I could get a lot done. I might throw a 20" on the front to pull the axle in a bit and see if that helps. If it does, I may have to rework a couple of things.

After going for another ride (just before the rain came back), I feel I will need to shorten the fork by about 4 inches. It might make it look funky, but it will bring the front tire closer to the bike. Right now it's like steering a chopper at 9 feet in the air.

Funny were both working on our forks right now, working 6 days a week and not sleeping much. Well after 53 degree temps yesterday, to finishing the evening off with what was supposed to be a dusting of snow. We awoke to another 4 inch dusting. Well who wants spring anyway? Right. Got in a few more hours on these custom 36" forks I'm making and Im starting to see some progress here. I started by lengthening the tubes with 3 sets of donated forks from my pile. I couldnt find suitable tubing for inside the fork tubes, so I used some steel rod, puddle welded in along the way.
forkit.jpg
bigfork.jpg
The three plates of 1/8th steel are also fitted and just lack cutting out the pattern. I chose the radiator style forks because I want a more antiquated look for this bike. Im also going to make a fancy (I hope) set of truss bars for it too.
deedledor93.jpg

I would love for my forks to look more old-school. All I did was cut the ends off of some bmx forks, and weld in lengths of electrical conduit. I used short pieces of old seatposts hammered into the conduit and into the fork sections to keep it strong. Of course I added the middle bar and braces. This kind of fork design works, but I don't think I would use it if I was over 200 lb. Eventually the steer tube is going to snap on one of these and send me flying. I just like the look because it seems like some kind of crazy circus bike.

Graylock said:
TTT you got some weird stuff on your work bench, looks like it may be getting to like your forks. They wouldn't by chance getting to attatched to it....ehh?

GL
Hey Graylock, I make alot of weird stuff. Especially skeleton art. Macabre hobby, Ive been told by many. When friends visit they always have to come in my shop before they leave just to see what strange oddities they might see. Its OK, Im used to my place being a freakmuseum of sorts, so I give free tours. Sometimes you might even end up with a souvenir. Thats a triceratops dino on my bench. Im making for one of the youngins so it wont be attached to this bike. Although Im tossing around some accessory ideas for this one.

Latest posts

Back