any foodies in the group

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been wondering if there were any other foodies in the group besides myself.I was going to bring this up earlier but didnt know how it would fly with you grease under the nails, wrench turning, manly men. lol. I had always wanted to be a chef growing up, but when I had the chance when I got out of the army, the nearest chef school was in Denver or San Fran. this was 1976. I have worked in a couple of restaurants over the years and my best friend owns a nice italian joint up in the mountains. Oh, did I mention I love food, as my 270 pds can attest.I bring this up now after seeing the thread that Hooch had and Steve mentioning the food channel. I watch alot of food tv. Two of my new favs are not on the food channel but are on the travel channel. First Anthony Bourdains "No Reservations" is great and the other is "Bizzare Foods" with Andrew Zimmeran. They are both great and a little offbeat.

Shows I will not watch.........
no Cooking With Paula.... she gets on my nerves bad
no Rachel Ray......... she used to be cute and bubbly, now shes just sappy. she is everywhere, overkill.
no Bobby Flay....... although throwdown is ok, he is just way too arrogant

IMO Best ones to watch.....
Mario
Diners drive ins and dives
Good Eats
Ace of cakes...... is it just me or does it look like his right hand man is always stoned?
Dinner Impossible..... with the first host, the one that got busted for falsifying his resume

And finally one that I watched just last night. It comes on a cable channel called RFDTV, I think it is out of Texas.
The show is called "Cajun Cookin with Miss. Lucy. This one is great entertainment in a warped kinda way.
:wink:

Oh yeah, I also subscribe to three food mags. Saveur,Gourmet,and Bon Appetite :shock:
cook.jpg

You've pretty much summed up my opinions on the Food Network shows also.

I'm no chef...I just like to eat and watch people cook on TV...ha ha.

My wife and I got hooked on that Next Food Network Star a few months back...the
girl with the bob haircut has a restaurant with her husband about a mile from the
church I work at.

I'll have to check out those other shows you mentioned...they sound good! :D

one of my favorite shows is Mexico: One Plate at a Time with Rick Bayless on PBS unfortunately it is no longer on in my area :( if you didnt know his brother is Skip Bayless off of ESPN
and I will pretty much leave my tv on the food network all night.
my favorite shows usually lean towards diner type food.grilling, Mexican and BBQ
I love to cook and do 90% of the cooking in this house
I grew up in a household where my dad got off work an hour before my mom and he always started supper.
last weekend for my birthday party I made pork which I slow roasted pork collars in Dr Pepper for 16 hours then added Cookies BBQ Sauce shredded it with forks and made into sandwiches . I made 27 lbs and it was gone so fast I couldn't believe it. I had previously don't it with root beer and got thinking hmmmm dr pepper is similar but sweeter
it was a huge hit! and it was cheap pork collar around here is $1.39 a pound
i have always wanted to own my own restaurant but I know that kind of a commitment is huge!

I agree with Tikikarl- I am more about the experience than the actual food in regards to FoodNetwork

I like to cook alot and am always trying to spice things up. It drives my wife crazy. I like to BBQ everything. meat, pizza, lasagna,etc.....
I built a BBQ Island that has a gas grill and a Weber Charcoal Kettle.

I've pretty much always worked in the service industry since I was 14 years old (I'm 27 now) and have done pretty much every job you can in a bar or restaurant, from busing tables and washing dishes to waiting tables, bouncing, bar tending, register, managing a health food store, and now I'm GM of a bar (unfortunately not a bar/restaurant). I'm a halfway decent cook, and eventually plan on opening a bar/grill type place. I love southern style cooking: real BBQ, chicken fried anything, etc. Glad to see there are some other food enthusiasts on here!

Just for grins...one of the new items on the State Fair of Texas' menu this year is chicken fried bacon. :shock:

Texas_Star.jpg

Rat Rod said:
Just for grins...one of the new items on the State Fair of Texas' menu this year is chicken fried bacon. :shock:

Wasnt the deep fried Twinkie's and Snickers enough?

mmmmmm tacos
a few years ago I flew out to LA to hang with a buddy and we went fishing in Redondo Beach
on the boat called " the City of Redondo Beach" and we caught some fish and they fileted them instantly made the best fish tacos I have ever had!

Hooch said:
mmmmmm tacos
a few years ago I flew out to LA to hang with a buddy and we went fishing in Redondo Beach
on the boat called " the City of Redondo Beach" and we caught some fish and they fileted them instantly made the best fish tacos I have ever had!
yeah! I love them. They have some really good fish tacos in San Diego.yummm :D

chimichanga said:
Hooch said:
mmmmmm tacos
yeah! I love them. They have some really good fish tacos in San Diego.yummm :D

I gotta say, Del Taco is about the only thing I miss about LA. Okay, the fast food in general. And the Oaxacan food.

we would get what my buddy called "ghetto Chicken" it was a little hole in the wall Tai restaurant that would make a fried chicken that was soooooooooo HOT!!!!
my buddy lived in south central so most of the places we ate were little hole in the walls lol
except he said we had to try Fatburger

I love the diversity of this country in regards to food. Eating corned beef on rye at the Carnige Deli in NYC was almost surreal,the lox, eggs and onions plate was pretty good for breakfast too, oh and the pizza,mmmmm. I have had cheese curds in Wisconsin and the brats at every little town festival. I tasted but could not finish chitterlings in N.C. and the vinegar based bbq sauce they use for bbq and cole slaw on hotdogs. Red beans and rice along fried catfish in Louisanna. The one good food thing AZ has going for it is the Mexican taco stands. Carne asada is the best ever. Turns out I love it all !!!

I have been married three times and have always been a better cook than my wife(s), This was according to them. Growing up my Mother always had dinner ready at 5:00 when my dad got home. Heck I barely have finished lunch by five. I never liked not knowing what I was going to come home to for dinner, I think about it while at work, thankfully the wife(s) went along with this.

I will try anything once I figure like the line in the movie Motel heck, "meats meat and people gotta eat. I have not eaten veal though in over thirty years ,after I learned of the way they were raised. :wink:

I'm back living in NY for the past few years, and I gotta say that our Kennedy Fried Chicken is some of the best I've had outside NC. It can mainly be found in shady neighborhoods in questionable cities, and it's incredible! I lived in Culver City in LA for a few months, and yeah, Fatburger's pretty good! I mainly stuck to Del Taco while I was out there, as there was one right around the corner from my place, and they had 3 tacos for $1 every tuesday. Man, you can't beat that!
And yeah, I've been all over the east coast, and a fair bit of the west coast, and I have yet to find an area that didn't have something awesome going for it, food wise.

My wife and I are big fans of Anthony Bourdain. It's amazing that he still functions despite the huge amounts of cholesterol, alcohol and cigarettes that he consumes each episode. I don't care for Ace of Cakes. I think it's goofy that they make the owner out to be some kind of bakery bad boy. Plus it seems that all their "cakes" are nothing more than pieces of plywood and PVC covered in fondant; many of them don't appear that they can be eaten. We get a kick out of Top Chef too. They seem to have a consistent formula for choosing the contestants: at least one guy with a faux-hawk, a lesbian with a butch cut and a skinny guy who wears hats all the time.

chimichanga said:
tikiharl said:
Whats good about the little Taqueria joints (mexican fast food) is that they let me ride my bicycle thru the drive thru at 2 am when driving my truck is not feasible. :shock: 8) Cant do that at Wendys.... lol :wink:
aahhhh the 2am tacos! I always go get tacos after the bar! :D

We have some Taco wagons that prey on the bar patrons. My wife even had the Taco wagon pull up/cater my 30th B-day party. Cheap way to go. :D

cman said:
chimichanga said:
tikiharl said:
Whats good about the little Taqueria joints (mexican fast food) is that they let me ride my bicycle thru the drive thru at 2 am when driving my truck is not feasible. :shock: 8) Cant do that at Wendys.... lol :wink:
aahhhh the 2am tacos! I always go get tacos after the bar! :D

We have some Taco wagons that prey on the bar patrons. My wife even had the Taco wagon pull up/cater my 30th B-day party. Cheap way to go. :D
I've had that done also for my b-day. :D

Back