Aluminum Cruiser Frames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming up with an idea to build a lightweight commuter cruiser.

Who makes aluminum cruiser frames that are decent?
I'd prefer something that looked like a Schwinn cantilever design or some other traditional design.
Something that would be relatively cheap and easy to find.

I'm probably going to put something like a Nexus 7 hub on it as there are hills where I normally ride and I'm fat and old!

Sounds crazy but checkout a couple year oid " Lajolla ".Walmarts sells em. You can pick one up
pretty cheap and there very light.
tom4.jpg

Forgive me if i'm not directly answering your question, but how much weight do you think can be saved by going with an AL frame over steel? As I see it, the things that make a cruiser heavy are the design, components and typical accessories: hub brakes, fenders, OPCs, dookie fat saddles, extra frame tubes, etc.

You might do better to go with a nice steel frame with rim brakes, 3piece cranks, no fenders, etc. But, then, how much of a cruiser is it anymore?

-rob

largek9 said:
Sounds crazy but checkout a couple year oid " Lajolla ".Walmarts sells em. You can pick one up
pretty cheap and there very light.
tom4.jpg
These are rather tuff frames for a walmart bike the only down side about them are the seats and hub housings are made of plastic

Thanks Guys!

The Felt would be cool but too much $$$

La Jolla might not be bad if I can get one cheap enough. Probably going to need to swap out everything.

Truly I don't know how much lighter a aluminum frame will be. It may not save me that much.

Now if I could find one of the later Schwinns like the AL-Three or the Panther at the right price, I think that would be a good start.

Been plenty over the years: Giant Simple, KHS Brentwood, Specialized Shark. Trek Clyde and my favorite, the Mongoose Zuma (because I own one).

I have a Del Sol LXI 1.0 and I love it, light as a feather, comfortable frame geometry, and a suspension seat post make for an excellent ride.

P8100007.jpg

Like Peatbog's, I've built up two of the aluminum Schwinn Classic Al3's, one fairly well dressed for my father:
P1011149.jpg

And one as more of a bobber for my own self:
P1014147.jpg

There really is a definate difference in weight; I have a '61 Schwinn American that's set up similar to the green one here, and even relatively stripped down, it's heavier than the turquoise one with full fenders, racks, etc. Schwinn last made these in 2009, although I bought both of these about a year ago from http://www.americasbikecompany.com, although they may not have any more. As of about a month ago, though, Niagaga Cycle Works in Niagara Falls, NY had a green one still sitting on their shop floor.

I've got both aluminum and steel framed cruisers. I reckon the frame and components play equal part as the frame material. In similar specced bikes you can feel the weight difference. Having said that one of our heaviest bikes has an aluminum frame, but also has all the guards, wide rims etc which make it so hefty.

If I was building a cool regular commuter I'd try and find an aluminum frame with the traditional lines like the ones posted, but go for skinny alloy rims teamed up with whitewall tyres. Avoid fenders to keep the weight down, but if you want to ride in all weather try and find some nice looking plastic ones.

Here's some pics that I reckon are in the right vein, check the 'street skinny cruiser thread' for more viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22295&start=0

0000000.jpg

IMG_0746x.jpg

ss1.jpg

I'd love to find one of those AL-3s. I'm gong to check an old Schwinn shop on my lunch today to see if they have one.

I'll have too look at the skinny cruiser thread as that's kinda what I have in mind.

There was a Classic Al as well as the Classic Al Three. Single vs 3-speed, so you could look for both. I'd weigh mine for you, but I don't own a scale... Again, consider contacting Niagara Cycleworks if you can't find one closer, although shipping may be expensive. Here's a shop in Florida that seems to have them (though more than what I bought mine for):
http://www.lakeshorebicycles.com/produc ... ly-443.htm

I'm a big fan of light bikes
My 2009 Trek Classic Cruiser started out at 36 lbs with everything on it
Now it’s down to 24 lbs and I can run a smaller gear to go faster :D
IMG_3384II.jpg

Was also able to make a 24 lbs steel bike from a Hercules which still has the Raleigh steel components but aluminum wheels
IMG_1998.jpg

Triangle Roadmaster at 27 lbs (aluminum wheels, steel crankset)
FranklinAveRoadmaster.jpg

Was able to get my steel Spaceliner (with all aluminum components) down to 27.5 lbs
IMG_3887.jpg

And the Typhoon no lower than 29lbs, (aluminum wheels, steel crankset)
16May11101.jpg

Hope that helps
Steve

I found a KHS Brentwood on CL for 200. It had a nexus 7 with roller brake rear and front canti's. Al rims front and back, it was fun to ride and probably the lightest cruiser I have ever owned.

schertztx said:
I found a KHS Brentwood on CL for 200. It had a nexus 7 with roller brake rear and front canti's. Al rims front and back, it was fun to ride and probably the lightest cruiser I have ever owned.

I actually bought one of those years ago but it was stolen after my first ride :x

The OP Cruiser and the Genesis Onyx 29er are both aluminum Cruisers that Walmart sells.

Latest posts

Back