79 motomag

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this guy said he had this in his garage for 20 plus years.
IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

Thanks, ill get some more pics soon. I took the top pad off and the mongoose sticker is near perfect.

ty rat, im stoked. I love your site here and everything here. Thanks for making all this happen here on ratrods. Everyone here has inspired me to build my choppers and tallbikes.
:mrgreen:

I'm thinking those tires have got toe be relatively rare.

What was the story behind this one?...i.e. CL score?

It funny you said that because as soon as i got it, those were the first thing i started researching. Thats what I was thinking too. I have asked alot of people around and in the bmx museum because im a member there and even the bmx gurus dont know what the mongoose team issue tires are. Also in the bmx museum i havent seen anything about them either in any posts i searched all the past threads in the museum archives. Not one thing i have found so far regarding Mongoose team issue tires.

well, the story goes, i went to the local bike shop with my yellow 78' motomag i have ill show in the pic, which im now selling since i found this black one. And my neighbor happens to be the manager there.

I was asking him about my motomag coaster brake bracket screw if they had any extras that would work, and the other mechanic who knows not much english looks at my bike and says, "Hey, I have same bike in color black and very clean en mi casa." I said to myself,"Is this guy fooling me?" I said to him,"Cool, Can I see it?"
He said,"Sure, I bring tomorrow." Then i said,"Ok , ill see you first thing."

so, he came with the black 79' Mongoose Motomag pictured up top with the yellow top bar pad. , and its been in his garage for 20 plus years he said as well as a schwinn he said he has as well as some other old school bmx parts. Also, he said for the price i bought it from him for he has a unused mag wheel the same as the chatsworth mags on the bike. Its a spare or an extra hes had for 20 plus years also in his garage, and he will throw it in too. Today, Friday was his off day and he was going to dig through his garage to get it. As well as the other spare parts he said he has.
IMG_1627.jpg

I've had a couple sets of those tires on on a some walmart mongoose bikes that passed through here for donating.. the ones like yours pictured was in white print and was on a Expert Pro, and the yellow print set had flames for the tread and were on a Hoop D Pro (i keep pics of bikes I've donated for reference )

I was wondering if they might be newer since the "Mongoose" logo wasn't rounded.

Cool tread pattern for sure.

ya, they look the same except my tread pattern is different and mine say it in like a faded goldish color, or yellowish, not white

Herman said:
Is it just the picture or is the front wheel cracked near the hub ?
no, its just the pic, those wheels have a line that goes all the way around on each mag spoke, ill take a close up to show u

Latest posts

Back