'62 Ford Galaxie 500 no go, '70 Ford f-100 is a go!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i found a better car thats a good price. its nice and solid, but does have its imperfections. the guy is accepting my offer of $834. :lol: now im wondering if anyone can help me with the vin. i got the first two digits down.. 2J62X134721 Im guessing the 2 stands for 1962, and the j, being the tenth number in the alphabet, is october. thats all i can figure out. havent bought it yet, he has to replace the original ignition coil, as the car wont start. picking it up tomorrow(crossin my fingers anyway) and its a keeper. :mrgreen:

Re: '62 Ford Galaxie 500

good luck!
i hate to say it but personally i never get excited about cars/bikes/guitars any more until theyre in my hands(yeah ive had a ton of 'sure thing' deals fall through though)......hope too see some pics of it in your garage soon :mrgreen:

I had a maroon 62 hardtop when I was around 19 or 20. Had a 390 with 3 deuces, got about 4 gallons to a mile :lol: Sold it to my step brother who then trashed it.

sure it is the coil those things are purdy reliable in those. mine is still the original in my 62 and it works great, (knock on wood)

well i hope thats all it is(knock on wood for me too). somethings dont last as long as others. Sure is FoMoCo. and i like your model, looks good!

Sweet, my dad had a new one! His uncle then worked in the Ford plant in Mahwah, NJ, and managed to smuggle a 3 deuce setup in the trunk!!! Unfortunately, no pics survive. Apparently he had to sell it after a few chases from local law enforcement! ~Adam

I would like to find a 1963 1/2 and turn it into something like this...

ResizedImage450330-ford7.jpg

All the 500 series from back when they had real stock car racing were pretty cool, but very thirsty. My dad had a Fairlane model,'58 I think, w/352cid/3bbl carb :shock: :? I don't know If that was factory or not, basically like a 4bbl, but no separation between the secondarys. When anyone asked him how it drove, he'd say,"it'll pass anything but a gas station." :lol:

so its a no go with the galaxie, sory fellas. the guy said it ran good... well.. it needs a lot of brake work, theres a ton of play in the steering, the shocks are shot, and it leaks from the heads, probably the oil pan, and the rear axle differential(sp?). for 800 i wasnt expecting to pay several hundred right off the bat to get it road worthy. oh and id need another 140 for the two side windows that are smashed out. :roll: oh and rewire the am radio cuz someone screwed it up. so i went back to CL searching, with my girlfriends help, and she found this..
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/1352200823.html
he took my offer of 1200(maybe i can talk him down more when he comes by, what do you guys think) oh and he's gonna deliver it no charge since he comes this way for work anyway. :mrgreen:

Can't beat those old Ford pickups. I had a 69' F-100 w/360 and 2wd. Bought it mainly for a dump(landfill) truck and it started and ran like a top. It cost less as I bought it from 2 kids that had been using for rabbit hunting out in the desert.

I also had a 1977 F250 w/351M and 4wd. Not a better truck made.

Sounds like a good decision to pass on the Galaxy. If they're not drivable, the list always keeps growing. Something like that's not worth more than $300.oo unless there's special provenance or rare equipment. I'd give the truck a good looking over too. Sounds like you're giving some thought to reality, always a good thing.

believe me the more i looked at the galaxie, the less i liked it. it had REALLY shabby bodywork, so the car would've had to be completely stripped when i opened that can o' worms. and the bike hauling was my thought too. and also, my girl really digs trucks for some odd reason.. :D :wink:

Around here is like old pickup heaven!!! I see 67-72 Fords like that everyday!! Plus Chevys, Dodges, Jeep J-10s, and even the occasional International! Plus, 60-66 trucks are still here n there. Mostly short beds too! If I had any $, I'd be fixin' em up n' taking them up into rust country! ~Adam

well its NC, isnt there a lot of farms there? because farmers just HAVE to have those 60s-70s trucks. mostly shortbeds, slabsides, everything cool. :D

Back