57 Western Flyer Re-Style

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope Bike Builds is the right place to start this journal. I just bought a 1957 Western Flyer by Columbia, with the intent of re-styling it and eventually motorizing it.

Here's what I am starting with

011.jpg

and here's my initial concept, in Photoshop:

VonFink-57.jpg

I was attracted to this model because of the way it resembles early 1900's motorcycles. I take some inspiration from the vehicles of Professor Fate, the main villain character in Blake Edwards' film "The Great Race". Add to that some influence of 1960's hot-rod culture and how that culture is being re-imagined in the current era.

My Do List:
• Play with paint/color/graphics ideas
• Shop for suspension forks
• Consider an 8-speed internal Sturmey rear hub
• Buy some white tires
• Make/Buy a layback seatpost

This will be in my stable of "daily-riders"

Cheers,
Tim

I have my eye on the "White Balloon Tires, Pre-War tread, 26"x2.125", $52/pr." tires that Hulamula is selling on ebay. And considering the "Sturmey Archer XRD8 Rear INTERNL 8 SPEED Hub DRUM BRAKE" for $169.00 from The Bikesmiths, also on ebay. Also on the lookout for a vintage car or bike lantern on ebay for as cheap as is reasonable---actually there are a number of choices so I am sure I'll find something when I get to that point.

Cheers,
Tim

'The Great Race' is one of my favourite movies! I've thought before about making a pair of bikes modeled off of the Great Leslie's and Professor Fate's vehicles. Make sure there are some buttons to push :wink:

I need your red grips. I have some white grips I could send in trade. They came off a WF also, I am just wanting to go red.

I dig the color scheme. That's basically what I had dreamed up for a build up for the Columbia tank bike I just acquired. Sort of a variation of the classic flat black/red wheels/white walls scheme that looks great but is fairly common. Now I've got think of something else. :mrgreen:

JLarkin said:
I need your red grips. I have some white grips I could send in trade. They came off a WF also, I am just wanting to go red.

Hi JLarkin,

I will save the red grips for you if I go that route.

scrumblero said:
Alfred .E. bike (AEBike.com) has XRD8's for $139 w/free shipping..... :roll:

Thanks for the tip!

--------------

Cheers,
Tim

I fell in love with the weathered red paint and graphics and haven't had the heart to ruin them. So they will stay!

Latest changes:
  • original pedals failed so replaced with white vintage pedals
  • Western Flyer replica fork added
  • teardrop headlight removed
  • speedometer removed (there was no cable)
  • rear rack removed
  • motorcycle headlight added
  • black Columbia coke-bottle grips swapped in for red WF grips
  • chrome flip-down center-stand added (kickstand removed)
  • added 24" of satin plated hardware store chain & a vintage lock (for when it's locked up in front of the coffee shop)
Next on the agenda:
  • clean up chain, sprocket, cranks and back side of chainguard
  • replace aging tires with new all-white tires
  • install complete speedometer (maybe redo face graphics with something more 1950's looking)
  • swap white pedals for black rubber block pedals, diamond tread
  • gut the sealed motorcycle headlight unit (glass cutter---wish me luck) and insert LED flashlight head
  • add tail light & vintage mud flap in back
  • source some groovy valve cap covers
  • buy or build a set-back seatpost

P1040776.jpg

ratina said:
Wildcat said:
Looks great. I ageree wholeheartedly with keeping the original paint.

me too, just age the fork to match

Yup, though I am not exactly sure how I'd go about it. Would I want to match the red of the frame? Or just distress the black fork paint and decal to be a bit less than new? Hmmmmm....

VonFink said:
ratina said:
Wildcat said:
Looks great. I ageree wholeheartedly with keeping the original paint.

me too, just age the fork to match

Yup, though I am not exactly sure how I'd go about it. Would I want to match the red of the frame? Or just distress the black fork paint and decal to be a bit less than new? Hmmmmm....
distress the black. it would add the right amount of different colors to this. i like it alot :D

And now some exploration of tire colors (courtesy Photoshop).
  • White-Walls: Perhaps my fave, and I already have a new pair
  • White: My second favorite, and I already have a pair of these too
  • Red: Too much red
  • Creme: Very nice but I already have the all-white tires
  • Brown: Not right for this bike
  • Black: Nice, but not very "fun"
The all-white tires would be easiest because I already have them. The white walls look the best but they need to be scavenged from another one of my bikes.

1957WesternFlyer-WWTires.jpg

1957WesternFlyer-WhiteTires.jpg

1957WesternFlyer-RedTires.jpg

1957WesternFlyer-CremeTires.jpg

1957WesternFlyer-BrownTires.jpg

1957WesternFlyer-BlackTires.jpg

expjawa said:
I dig the color scheme. That's basically what I had dreamed up for a build up for the Columbia tank bike I just acquired. Sort of a variation of the classic flat black/red wheels/white walls scheme that looks great but is fairly common. Now I've got think of something else. :mrgreen:

If you want to do that, you should go for it. I am not the first person to do this color scheme and you would not be the last. :)

schwinn.jpg

1957WesternFlyer-WWTires.jpg

That's the latest photoshop, above...

Recent Activity:

FRONT WHEEL: I ordered a custom wheel built with a drum brake off ebay but the rim was narrow and matte silver---eeeeeeyuccch! I am sending it back and having them build the drum brake onto a vintage Spaceliner rim instead.

HEADLIGHT: I tried to cut a hole into the back of the sealed beam headlight and ended up breaking the light to pieces. Now I am going to fabricate a new lens and new reflector. Ultimately it will have an LED light source inside

SEATPOST: Bought a lean-back seatpost off this forum but it didn't fit (my bad). I tried to use the Lucky-7 seatpost I bought earlier but it's too short, and in trying to tighten it in I busted the seatpost bolt. Bough a new stainless steel carriage bolt and nut at the hardware store and am back to my original seatpost for now. It's a 0.75" it seems. Now looking for a cool, laid-back 0.75" diam. seatpost in chrome.

TIRES: waiting to hear from my wife that she really doesn't want the donor bike so I can peel the tires off it.

FENDERS: I'd like to try some bobbed fenders for a more custom hot-rod look. I ordered some shorty Electra fenders off Amazon but they are too wide for my frame. I may try to see if I can fit them with some notches. I am unsure that this plan will work because I fear the fenders will look too wide,

------------------------
That's it for now.

Cheers,
Tim

Back