49ers bike/occ schwinn chopper bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haven't really payed it any mind, but that's probably cause I took it off early in the build. It looks like a chopper stand so I decided to keep it. what I'm not so sure of is the chain guard, but that's cause it's copper brazed to clean it up for chroming and it's a bit of a hassle to sand off.

I'm curious what a two tone red and white paint job would look like...
Your bike is pretty cool tho... (this from a BEARS fan)
I just may repaint my OCC HeadBanger into the Bears theme...

Carl.

My Chain Guard was really nice. It was chromed with a sticker on it. I removed the sticker and it looked perfect. One guy told me that they were made of chromed plastic. Mine was not. Maybe you could find a nice parts one like was on mine. It would save you a bit to chrome it. Try out that stand. You might be upset if it falls over (mine did). Especially when people would go up to it and touch it when it was not on perfectly level ground. Your build is very nice. I will follow it along.

I'm curious what a two tone red and white paint job would look like...
Your bike is pretty cool tho... (this from a BEARS fan)
I just may repaint my OCC HeadBanger into the Bears theme...

Carl.
I think it would look cool but I would then feel the need to break it up with a gold pin stripe where the red and white meet. That would be awesome to have a Bears chopper bike right next to a 49ers chopper bike for a pic opportunity.

My Chain Guard was really nice. It was chromed with a sticker on it. I removed the sticker and it looked perfect. One guy told me that they were made of chromed plastic. Mine was not. Maybe you could find a nice parts one like was on mine. It would save you a bit to chrome it. Try out that stand. You might be upset if it falls over (mine did). Especially when people would go up to it and touch it when it was not on perfectly level ground. Your build is very nice. I will follow it along.

thanks. That would be such a night mare to put in all that work for it to fall over. I'm not re-chroming the chain guard I'm trying to strip it so paint will stick to it. The copper brazing doesn't like primers/paints so it's another layer to strip on top of the chrome. If I keep building bikes I might look into a blasting cabinet.

finally the hoops/hubs are back from the powder coater. I really want to drop everything and start stickering it up and lacing it up but I better finish prepping the rest of these parts for primer. Hopefully this weekend I primer them.

there's metal somewhere under that bondo~!

good progress this weekend. The fenders and tank are prepped and ready for one last coat of primer and the front rim is all done. Pretty happy about it. The front has a lot of red stickers but the rear has a different look and the majority color will be gold. I'll finalize the spokes when on the bike. It's pretty straight though as I spin it.

a buddy of mine let me use his booth and even gave me some free paint so I got to paint some parts this weekend. I got all the gold stuff painted.
I'll let the tank gas out for a couple weeks before I start putting stickers and the grill on it. The good thing is, it won't need to be cut and buffed and there's no trash in the clear.

the flag holders came out nice. I'm glad I chose gold for these.

The pin striper will do his thing on this fender badge on Tuesday. I'm thinking a simple white outline and some simple accents.

lot of parts just for the neck. Kind of a head ache to come up with an approach to paint it all but it worked out in the end.
I also painted the v brakes gold.

Next is the frame and parts that will go red, then I can get a rest and let it gas out before putting it together.

got the rear wheel laced and ready to go

had the pin striper do a little outline. I like it. Now I feel I have to put something more than just a standard rivet into it. Maybe a red domed bolt.
Should be doing the rest of the paint work by this weekend.

Other that your choice of teams I love the workmanship in the bike hehehe. Can I see a pic of the bead roller and where did you buy it?
hahaha 49ers are definitely in the dog house as of late. The bead roller is a woodward fab. It's better than the HF one and I got it for Summet for $159 no shipping. I then used some square tubing and reinforced it cause it twists and skips when it twists. That didn't work enough so I added gussets and it worked great. You'd want to do that and for SURE fix the tension screw. I just used the very end of the crank handle it came with and welded a screw onto it. So much better. Also wouldn't hurt to add extra shaft collars on it to keep it from moving side to side. Then I put a Model T steering wheel and once again used a piece off of the original crank(the shaft) and welded it onto the steering wheel. It's pretty bare bones considering what other guys have done to their machines but it works great now. Also if you plan on doing the artsy stuff you'd need some embossing dies. Hoosier profiles carries them. Same shaft size as the HF ones so they will work on a Woodward fab roller too. Hope this helps.

got all the paint work done. Now it's just a waiting game til the paint hardens enough for assembly. I want to cutt and buff the tank and fenders and it would be best to do it on the bike with them simply turned out of the way of the forks/ frame so I'll do that too. Maybe in a week or two I'll start putting it together. In the mean time I'll look at some bikes on Craigslist so I can start another project. Thinking about making my own frame but can't afford a tube roller at the moment and don't have any scrap frames...one day.

I'm thinking about calling up the pin stripper to do his magic again.

Back