24 x 3 tire question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rear tire on this is a 26" by 3" They do make 24 by 3 tubes but they are expensive. I just use 24 by 2.125 tubes and over-inflate them.

DSCN0086.jpg

DSCN0084.jpg

006-3.jpg

Re:

mastershake916 said:
gravediggerjason said:
i ve been looking hard for 2 days now to find a brick red 24x 3 any clues or do they just not make them?...... anyone?
I'd guess that they don't exist.

Someone posted this pic from a show they went too...tires sure look like 24x3 to me. I want a pair of these too

fd.jpg

very nice pic. here. those red bricks sure look like 24x3's to me to. i have not found any when i was looking for my 26" ones. has anyone seen those red grips before, been lookin but no luck. wonder if i buy a red hose if that would work. ya then i could fill it up with water or whatever and drink an ride, water that is.lol

Outlaw :mrgreen:

i've got a set of those 24x3 brick tread RED tires :mrgreen:
but i had to buy the whole bike
they come on the 2007 schwinn areosport
first new bike i've bought in 25 years

2007areosport.jpg

my schwinn dealer can't even get them for replacement :(
my areosport came as a single speed coaster brake
soon it will have a nexus seven speed coaster
can't wait
my show stoper and show winner super deluxe(aka primer bike)
has dyno fireball 24x3 (wish they still made them)
made minor frame modifications to stuff the tire in

SuperDeluxe001edit.jpg

SuperDeluxe006edit.jpg

in primer bike i'm using old 24x1.95 tubes(call me cheep, i'll call me thrifty)
i've put over 90 miles on her
who knows mabye we'll be able to get those red 24x3 in the future(i hope)

ponytailmike
mike

So I'm totally inspired to do this, I'm confident I can handle the fitment, it's the ordering I'm stalled out on, any advice, links, suggestions, etc?
Here's what I want:
*3 speed Nexus hub w/24" black rim for all black 24x3.0 tire in rear
*26" black rim w/26 all black tire up front

I found a 3spd nexus hub mounted on a 26" rim for $40 via craigslist (seems like a good start, what do you think?). Should I pick this up and then buy a 24" black rim somewhere and have it laced in at my LBS? That would take care of part of the problem.

Budget is a concern so I'll probably need to be creative but so far i can't seem to even find a wheelset like I want for sale but I see it on lots of bikes, how are you guys doing this? and where are you shopping? (Thanks for your help :) )

Electra and Felt are the only manufactures producing a bike with the setup you are looking for. They may have something for sale on their website. Electra has the rear wheel for $159.00 Paying a LBS to lace a rim will probably cost more than you are looking to spend too.

The cheapest way to go is to try lacing your own. Here are a couple of wheel building tutorials. It is not as hard as it looks. :mrgreen:

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 578#p30168
http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Hey Matt,
I've seen 24 x 3, black rimmed, black spoked, 3-speed (Shimano), coaster brake wheels/tires (white or black wall) from Nirve. Google "Nirve Fat ...". Actually "Fat A**"...(this site must auto-censor naughty words)

MatthewRobertHenry said:
So I'm totally inspired to do this, I'm confident I can handle the fitment, it's the ordering I'm stalled out on, any advice, links, suggestions, etc?
Here's what I want:
*3 speed Nexus hub w/24" black rim for all black 24x3.0 tire in rear
*26" black rim w/26 all black tire up front

I found a 3spd nexus hub mounted on a 26" rim for $40 via craigslist (seems like a good start, what do you think?). Should I pick this up and then buy a 24" black rim somewhere and have it laced in at my LBS? That would take care of part of the problem.

Budget is a concern so I'll probably need to be creative but so far i can't seem to even find a wheelset like I want for sale but I see it on lots of bikes, how are you guys doing this? and where are you shopping? (Thanks for your help :) )

Re:

So, I'd LOVE to keep this thread going...if you guys will indulge me.

I'm pretty drawn to this 24 x 3 thing, and it seems to be working with relative success on some rides. I'm OK with a little muscle/spread in the rear-end to squeeze it in there. But I dont want to pay to build this wheel to just be thwarted in the end. I dont want to weld (or even bold-on) dropout extensions. And I dont want to continuously fight a persnickity rubbing rear-tire/chain/frame.

So...my frame looks just like the one below. Is the owner of this bike still happy with their 24 x 3? What rim and tire are used?

P1010114.jpg

And, since it seems like these tires aren't actually 3" wide (with variation somewhat dependent on the rim width), can any of you give me actual measured widths on these tires (and let me know the rim width too)?

Nirve ......
Kenda Kraze
Electra Fatty-O
Dyno Fireball
Felt Thick Brick

I know, I'm asking for a lot of data. But it just may make or break the plans for this bike.
Thanks in advance!
Ben

I've been contemplating a new idea of my own figured I'd ask you guys about it. My idea is to take 2 rim hoops and lace them both to a single hub to create a "dually" look. I know I'll have to stretch the frame but I think it will look sick when I'm done. any foresight would be great.

outskirtscustoms said:
I've been contemplating a new idea of my own figured I'd ask you guys about it. My idea is to take 2 rim hoops and lace them both to a single hub to create a "dually" look. I know I'll have to stretch the frame but I think it will look sick when I'm done. any foresight would be great.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=29390

Wicked, I'm thinking of applying it to a 20" bike though. Glad to see it can be done before I get into it though.

Brochacho said:
Twistedroot- you get that tire mounted on the frame? You have any pictures?

Just tentatively. Looks like I will have enough room. Still need to determine chain clearance, etc. So, yes, it fits in there, but no, it's not actually running yet.

Twisted Root said:
Brochacho said:
Twistedroot- you get that tire mounted on the frame? You have any pictures?

Just tentatively. Looks like I will have enough room. Still need to determine chain clearance, etc. So, yes, it fits in there, but no, it's not actually running yet.

Safe to assume you still used that Weinmann rim and did you lace it up already? Did you go with a three speed hub?

Yes, used the Weinmann. Had it build on a Sram 3-speed with coaster brake. It took custom spokes to put that hub on a 24 inch rim. My Step-dad, who fancys himself a bike mechanic wondered about that fat tire on a skinny rim. But I remember it to be in-spec, and, wider might challenge the chainstay clearance. I used the Sram hub cuz I want "passenger" pegs and the actuator doesn't come out of the center of the axel. I'll post some photos on my Build-off thread at http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=40635

Latest posts

Back