1964 SCHWINN STING-RAY

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Some of you muscle bike gurus may know this...

This bike came with a tractor tire out back originally correct?

:shock: Such a nice bike,If your a lookin for a nice Persons sissy bar,lemme know.I have a real good one.. :wink:

The question I am pondering with this bike is whether I should have the original seat recovered or should I find another Solo Polo to put on it and keep the original seat as is?

It should have had a schwinn stingray knobbie on the rear. I would say find a diffrent solo polo. Steve you are not interested in selling it are you? Matt

MBblue6 said:
Steve you are not interested in selling it are you? Matt

Hey Matt....thanks for the info on the tire!

Well...I sought this one out specifically...it wasn't a garage sale or thrift store find.

If I do decide to sell it off I will let you know first.

I plan to clean it all up, detail it and do something about the seat.

If I look really intently at the ser.# pic I can see a little speck of blue on the flange of the hub. Don't know if it's overspray, or if it's even what they're talking about. :?

deorman said:
If I look really intently at the ser.# pic I can see a little speck of blue on the flange of the hub. Don't know if it's overspray, or if it's even what they're talking about. :?
That's not overspray if its what there talking about :?

CCR has got me thinking about the rear tire on this bike. On the 1964 model Sting-Rays they used a Schwinn tractor tire out back instead of the SLIK that is on this bike. They didn't start using the SLIK tire until 1965.

This bike's serial number states that it was built in late October 1964 and was probably sold in 1965. I checked the date code on the SLIK and it showed the following...

C (10 4) 1

Which means it was made by Carlisle in October of 1964...I think.

My amateur deduction on this is that this may very well be the factory rear tire that came on the bike. They must have been using up the solo polo seats that they had because the 1965 catalog shows the Sting-Rays with a normal banana seat from then on out. I guess when they make a bike at the end of a year and then switch things around for the following year you could end up with a hodge podge of parts.

thats a sweet one! but another blue schwinn.. :wink: i like it! i say you detail it out, and swap the solo polo for the non-ripped model. :D

Back