1963 LeMans Tempest on Ebay $226,000

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow..That's a cool story..

WOW! :shock: Thats an awesome story. If i got ahold of somthing, ida tried to like back out of the auction, and made it a ratrod racer and hotrodded around town. AWESOME!

What good is the fastest car without it's engine?

This sort of represents everything I hate about Ebay. First you have a seller who knows nothing about what they have and has no passion for it, making a gigantic profit from it. Then you have bidders getting into a "shooting" match bidding higher and higher, inflating the value of collectables to the point where only very few can afford to buy them, leaving out most of the people that truly appreciate them.

SkidMark said:
What good is the fastest car without it's engine?

This sort of represents everything I hate about Ebay. First you have a seller who knows nothing about what they have and has no passion for it, making a gigantic profit from it. Then you have bidders getting into a "shooting" match bidding higher and higher, inflating the value of collectables to the point where only very few can afford to buy them, leaving out most of the people that truly appreciate them.

so you think if somebody paid $1000 for it they would appreciate it more? they would chop it up more and it would be lost forever
more than the guy with the deepest pockets who will painstakingly have the car restored correctly to its former glory?
I dont agree I would rather see the little guy who didnt know what he had win out

Apply this same wisdom next time a Krate or some other desirable bike comes up, and goes for way more than even you could afford or want to afford.

Triumph Choppers used to a low buck alternative to a Harley, and now they are priced up as high as Sportsters are. Recently a Paughco gas tank ("axed harley") like one that someone handed me for free ten years ago went for over 500 bucks and it was in worse shape than my freebie. A KHS Aerotrack just went for $530 on Ebay, I paid $75 for mine used 5 years ago. Most of the time it's not even about what I could afford it's about what I would be willing to pay, which is why I still don't have a looptail "P.K.Ripper". I'll keep my eye out at yard sales and cross my fingers, you know, the old fashioned way to score collectables.

Some people just have big wallets and just want bragging/whining rights as to how much they paid, or they are hoping to flip it for more money. They have no passion, except for the almighty dollar.

I hope Mr. Leno wins this auction, he is a true car guy, with as much passion as he has money, one of the few.

I find the story of Ed Roth's Orbitron much more interesting and palatable. A guy knows a guy who has the car, he contacts a friend, and someone who actually restores and collects Roth's stuff gets it and hands it off to small group of capable guys, who either worked with Roth or are Roth historians. No Ebay, just cash and handshakes, the way it was and should be.

http://www.theorbitron.com/

ok so if a guy has a pk ripper looptail and doesnt know what it is and instead of putting it on ebay cuts it up and makes a chopper out of it thats ok?

and I really doubt anyone paid $226,000 for a shell of a car just to say they own it. I am sure its one of the most passionate pontiac collectors in the world some guys bleed that stuff. I have a friend with 8 1966 GTOs I guess you would call him greedy for having so many

I'd prefer that he sold it to me for a reasonable price, which would be more than he was expecting. I would prefer that I found it at Goodwill instead of some "cool hunter" grabbing it and putting it on Ebay.

I don't know your friend and his 8 GTO's but I have to wonder if he was born in 1966. I once had 4 running classic/custom motorcycles and a 1957 VW Transporter at the same time. Was I greedy or excessive? I consider myself "minimal" these days but I have enough working bicycles to not ride the same one for two weeks, and I plan to build/buy more. Am I greedy now?

Someone who saws something up may or may not have a passion for it, they may be sawing it up because it's desirable. I pretty much only cut up Schwinns but there are many that I wouldn't chop up. They made 60 Triumph Trophy *TR6SC's in 1964, and I chopped mine. Coop had one, he chopped it up too. Makes the other 58 more valueable.

*AKA Desert Sled only sold through Johnson Motors in Pasadena CA.

Skidmark, Next time you sell anything, give me a call 1st in case you have a valuable item, as I would hate to have someone else give you more money than I would

While I don't always like the fees or the rules of Ebay I do love the fact that I can find just about anything I'm looking for there. I've bought quite a bit of stuff over the years off of Ebay and most of the time I've found some pretty good deals too. It's provided a venue for me to make some good money off of stuff that I wouldn't have been able to sell locally. Nothing like having an audience of millions of buyers at your fingertips.

I'm not against people making money off of a hobby. To me it's all just stuff that's gonna burn one day anyway. Half the fun for me is the hunt, the find and the sell. I know the purists won't like that perspective, but hey,.....there's a reason that hearses don't have luggage racks. :lol:

Well said! :wink:
L8EM

Rat Rod said:
....there's a reason that hearses don't have luggage racks. :lol:

:mrgreen: sorry, i had too

but i agree on the ebay thing, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, especially for collectors

hearse1.jpg

KZ1000 said:
Skidmark, Next time you sell anything, give me a call 1st in case you have a valuable item, as I would hate to have someone else give you more money than I would

Yeah, nobody will be complaining when I sell something to them for a reasonable price.

I was interested in the ebay fees for this.

Closing price $226,521.63
Insertion fee - .10
Picture Hosting fee 1st pic free X 21 pics - 3.15
Final Value Fees
12% first $25 - 3.00
8% first $25.01-$100 - 6.00
4% first $100.01-$1000 - 40.00
2% $1000 - closing value - 4,510.43

I don't know if the guy has a storefront or what kind of header or page fee's etc. he's using but they would be additional if any.

basic ebay seller fee's = $4562.68

If the transaction goes through paypal

paypal fee 1.9% over $100,000.00 = $4303.91

My math may be wrong here, but still not a bad deal for the seller on a car that probably sold for less than $2500 in 1963. Also if the car still has all the original locks on it, he can take the glove box lock out on a 63 model GM car and it has a key code number on it for the original door, trunk, and ignition locks. Thanks!!!

This is amazing, when I was sixteen I had a 64 Tempest. My stepfather found it in a government yard, it had been shipped to Malawi (Africa) by a guy who worked for the US Embassy who didn't keep up the payments and it was repo'd and just abandoned because it would cost too much to ship back. Anyway we towed it home and it sat in our yard but we couldn't get parts for it so it never even ran. And then we moved back to England and that was that. White with a blue interior, slant four with transaxle. Gorgeous car. I always look out for them in movies but have only ever seen one like mine.

Back