1953 Schwinn Black Phantom now with pics!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome score on the Phantom! It's great that you know the history of the bike, so you know for sure what's original to the bike. There's a lot to work with there, and it's good you decided not to repaint it.

Whatever you do, as far as replacing parts, hang on to the original parts for the bike. If you ever need/want to sell it in the future, it will be worth more as a whole bike, if all the original parts are with it.

Did you check the serial number for the year? And hopefully the horn unit is all there in the tank, probably with old leaky batteries, but hopefully with a roll of cash stashed away. :D

Rustinkerer said:
Cool, I do like seeing an old bike stay together, unless it's a girl's bike! :lol: I hear ya on justifying the cost! I just spent the most $ on a bike yet for my new Wasp, but I'm still under $500, so not totally nuts-YET! :lol: -Adam

Yeah at $500 you're safe, just think of those guys on their 2lb, 200 gear, carbon fiber, toothpick bikes and think what they pay to look like Lance Armstrong. More style, less coin. :mrgreen:

No offence to anyone who may own one, they are cool but I can't justify paying that much for a bike. and those shorts are just not gonna happen for me.

outskirtscustoms said:
Rustinkerer said:
... just think of those guys on their 2lb, 200 gear, carbon fiber, toothpick bikes and think what they pay to look like Lance Armstrong. More style, less coin. :mrgreen:

No offence to anyone who may own one, they are cool but I can't justify paying that much for a bike. and those shorts are just not gonna happen for me.

It's a terrible disease, no matter the particular affliction. Unfortunately, I have both strains, vintage bikes and the newest carbon toothpick sickness. It was funny to see this weekend when we had the local criterium. I rode my Trek (aluminum) in the Cat5 race Sunday morning, but in the afternoon the wife and I rode back uptown to watch the Cat1 guys. I brought my Pinarello Prince and she brought that '52 Deluxe Hornet. The funny part was 50% of the passersby drooled over the fancy newer Pinarello race rig w/ deep carbon rims and completely ignored the old Hornet, the other 50% ogled the Hornet and paid no attention to the Pinarello. Most interesting was there seemed no commonality amongst age groups. Some young kids liked the old bike, and some old duffers like the new Pinarello.... who knew?

The replacement parts I had to put on were fenders, a lense and a tailight. The fenders were shot so I dont think they'll be worth it to keep. They're so beat they're turning green! I've cleaned it up and I'm gonna end up cleaning it again over the next few weeks and winter. The only other things I need are nuts and bolts, some have disapeared and others are just beat up.

I can't wait to have it ready for next year.

tlaing1 said:
The replacement parts I had to put on were fenders, a lense and a tailight. The fenders were shot so I dont think they'll be worth it to keep. They're so beat they're turning green! I've cleaned it up and I'm gonna end up cleaning it again over the next few weeks and winter. The only other things I need are nuts and bolts, some have disapeared and others are just beat up.

I can't wait to have it ready for next year.

From the pictures, the original fenders look like they would restore well, so just make sure you keep them for the future. Your bike will be more valuable, with a higher percentage of original parts.

There's a dvd available that's all about doing a Phantom restoration. You may want to get one.

http://www.restoreclassicbicycles.com/order.html

so I totally stripped the bike down (parts cleaned and regreased) just waiting on some of the small parts I need, but the one thing I'm gonna say is I feel (dont laugh you jerks!!) like this bike knows I'm going to do it good, All the nuts and bolts and parts came right off, no wd40 needed, no muscle needed (and I've got tons of that). The only thing that is giving me issues is the rust on the chrome of the tank, everything is coming off easily and awesomely,

I can't believe I own this bike and I cant wait till next year when its done (gonna ride it now as is, and over the winter really bust my rear end to get it done right!

Thanks for the kind words, some pics up soon prob next weekend after I ride it around Asbury Park ( the feel of that place will feel like my bike!)

Tailwinds said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Rustinkerer said:
... just think of those guys on their 2lb, 200 gear, carbon fiber, toothpick bikes and think what they pay to look like Lance Armstrong. More style, less coin. :mrgreen:

It's a terrible disease, no matter the particular affliction. Unfortunately, I have both strains, vintage bikes and the newest carbon toothpick sickness. It was funny to see this weekend when we had the local criterium. I rode my Trek (aluminum) in the Cat5 race Sunday morning, but in the afternoon the wife and I rode back uptown to watch the Cat1 guys. I brought my Pinarello Prince and she brought that '52 Deluxe Hornet. The funny part was 50% of the passersby drooled over the fancy newer Pinarello race rig w/ deep carbon rims and completely ignored the old Hornet, the other 50% ogled the Hornet and paid no attention to the Pinarello. Most interesting was there seemed no commonality amongst age groups. Some young kids liked the old bike, and some old duffers like the new Pinarello.... who knew?

I like the carbon toothpick bikes but I can't afford one and I think the prices are ridiculous, I do have a few 10 speeds though, along with a few mountain bikes, cruisers, bmx, customs, all together about 30+ bikes....lol. All in a 10'x10' shed :mrgreen:

tlaing1 said:
All the nuts and bolts and parts came right off, no wd40 needed, no muscle needed (and I've got tons of that). The only thing that is giving me issues is the rust on the chrome of the tank, everything is coming off easily and awesomely...

Love 'em or hate 'em, (put me in the first group :wink: ) those old Schwinns always had great quality fasteners. I've always been able to save more parts from them than from any other brand. 8)

Back