1939 Colson Flyer - Let there be light... 8/17/09

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1939 Colson Flyer Rat

Hey GTCOMA , First of all thx for your vote, second no matter what you do I would not consider it as copying Hellbilly. As far as the bars go I used some beach bars that were bigger than the look I wanted but were functional because my knees didn't hit them. They can always be cut to size. 8)
I like bars 5 and 6 from the bottom, (my 2 cents)

Thanks for the input everybody!
tiki - bar # 6 is the bar that was on it. those and the ones I have on it are older heavier torringtons.
king - that set is a little narrower than the current set, but they actually have some chrom left.

I've finally found the serial # on the bottom bracket. After scrubbing it with a brush I uncovered it. I have been basing the 1939 year off pictures and adds i have been able to find.

The serial # reads as follows:

Just like that in two lines. Can anybody decifer those #'s to confirm the year?

That thing looks killer! Try wet-sanding or taking a toothbrush and some Bar Keeper's Friend to the paint before you decide to paint it. That stuff usually cleans up pretty well, then just leave it or clear-coat it. Gives it a nice look, better than rattle can in my opinion.

Just an updated picture. Added a brooks saddle and a funky sprocket. Also added some 180mm long cranks and new pedals. nothing set in stone, but it rides very smooth now.

2801161789_d44ea5bd38_o.jpg

Re: 1939 Colson Flyer Rat update 8/26/08

A sneak peek at things to come thanks to Klunker. a shiny new 3 Speed Shimano Nexus Coaster.

2923801796_197630c6d2.jpg

Re: 1939 Colson Flyer Rat update 10/9/08

i liked it better before the new new parts. was super cool.
the anodized sprocket clashes, i dont like it personally. you really should suffer through the headache of relacing the old skip tooth hub on a new rim. (well at least thats what i think) would be way cool (cause all skip tooths are. :) )

of all the seats, i think i like the original best followed closely by the new one with the big springs.
my 2 cents, time to do some back tracking before you loose the look of the bike ya fell for.
good luck.

Well, if you don't like it so far, you are going to hate what I do to it next...

I figure this bike is ever evolving. Nothing is set in stone. Personally, I don't like dealing with skiptooth stuff, I like being able to interchange parts. Also I like to keep this hobby inexpensive. I paid $7.30 for the bike originally. Recently traded for the Nexus hub, which by the way I laced in to a rim. I'm not too hot on the anodized purple sprocket, but it was only a couple dollars and my goal right now is to make a nice smooth drivetrain. With my new bottom bracket guts, longer cranks, thick aluminum sprocket and brand new nexus hub, this old crusty thing should be nice and smooth to ride.

As for the seats, I didn't like the first one because the springs were too weak. they Bottomed out as soon as i sat on it. THe second one with big springs was OK, but I sold it to Flying Dingo when I got the Brooks. I just love the look and feel of the brooks.

That's gotta be a sweet ride now with the Nexus, I remember riding this bike when it had the huge excersize sprocket on it. Why not just make your current shiny parts look old? Take that anodized sprocket and "patina" it with a rusty red color, do the same with that nice new chain. If your happy with the way it rides leave it alone, just make the new stuff look old to match the bike.

I was reading about taking anodized coloring off with oven cleaner, but I am hesitant to try it.
the faux patina stuff would be cool, but I am ok with mixing the old and new stuff.

Also, with the new Nexus, the rear gear is a 22 tooth, which is a few teeth bigger that a standard cruiser hub. It will be interesting to see how the gears feel with the 44tooth front sprocket. I might end up switching the rear with an 18 or 20 to get more speed, but I am going to try the 22 for while. I am just waiting on the shift spring pin for the hub so I can test it out.

Hi

I’m responding to your question about dating the frame from the serial number.

Currently in the hobby no-one is known to have any actual serial number documents from the Colson Company. In the absence of documentation and based on known models and features compared with serial numbers taken from bicycles, serial number patterns have been noted.

The two level serial numbers seem to start in 1937 and continue at least through 1942. It appears that the 5 digit number is a serial stamping and the 2 digit stamping is a month/year code.

I would interpret the 9 in your serial number to refer to a build date in 1939. The zero or “O” falls past “L” which is assumed to be December. It may be a number that doesn’t match the pattern (some don’t for whatever reason) or perhaps a badly struck G or C?

Either way, 1939 is a safe guess for the frame. That frame was in production from 1938 through the end of prewar production and it has the truss rods with the large open curve that weren’t introduced until 1939.

Phil Marshall

Now with a 3 Speed Nexus! rides nice ans smooth now. I got the hub from Klunker and laced it in to a new set of aluminum rims.

(i know the purple sprocket clashes, can't decide what to do with it...)

Lots of pics

2932225876_9734774662_b.jpg

2932226354_b0cae0777c_b.jpg

2932225442_b4c73cc3bd_b.jpg

2931369939_1111e1c7a8_b.jpg

Suicide Bell
2931370365_ba8ae5d64c_b.jpg

2931370819_5c73c2242c_b.jpg

Solid Brass valve caps
2931371847_ec8812258e_b.jpg

Acrorn nuts
2932229188_a074c991ed_b.jpg

Re: 1939 Colson Flyer Rat - Now with Nexus 3 Spd - Lots of pics

I can't believe how smooth this bike rides now! :)
And the brooks saddle is suprisingly comfortable

So is it all ready for the ride on the 26th? I like the little crash bar for the hub.

It's definatley up the 12 mile round trip. I just hope my butt is too.

Super cool!!!I love this.

Back