1939 Colson Flyer - Let there be light... 8/17/09

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the first mock up of my Colson Flyer tonight. Nothing fancy, just tore it down and put it back together with solid parts. My goal here is to make it sturdy and comfortable for as little cash as possible. Changed out a lot of the parts for simplicity sake. Added new tires, wheels, crank arm, pedals, sprocket, seat and handlebars. The red grips came on the bike, thay say Flex-Fit on them and are in pretty good shape. My original intention was to paint the whole thing, but part of me wants to keep it just as it is and enjoy the rattiness. At this point i am open to all suggestions.

And it rides great and the crazy seat is super comfortable (I just took it for a ride at 2 in the morning in a 29 degree temp)

Before
2096433811_dce3409268_o.jpg

2096433853_838def19ef_o.jpg

2097210180_6c14b82166_o.jpg

2096434049_87007d2dae_o.jpg

After - work in progress
2221891973_a295d04266_b.jpg

2222683366_58522c1bf4.jpg

2222683580_70924b3bed_b.jpg

2222684002_b3d267d523_b.jpg

2221892663_1139f05fcf_b.jpg

Re: 1939 Colson Flyer Rat

I like the original finish and that chain guard is too cool. And if you wanna sell the original seat, I have another hairpin seat like the one you put on and cash to trade...and where did you get the rims? They don't look like the regular drop center repops...

i need to sort through a bunch of parts a decide what i want to do with them. If i decide to sell the seat, i'll let you know first.

The wheels and the sprocket are actually from a 1992 Murray cruiser i picked up today at goodwill for $7.50. i might take them all apart and paint the rims, but i wanted to get it together for now. i was on my way to the bike shop to see about ordering new spokes for the original wheels and i saw somebody dropping it off at goodwill as i drove by. the old spokes have rusted half way through.

i like the look of the skip tooth, but since the new wheel had the standard teeth i just swapped the sprocket out too.

They were the grips that were on the bike when I got it. They say Flex Fit on them. I'm sure they are not from the 30's, but they are not new. they were all dirty, but cleaned up nicely.

cool! was just wondering cause i picked up a set not to long ago that looked exactly like that and were also the flex fit (my son also has some red ones on his 57)

12bcruzin said:
I have been told that the old grips were used a rubber that was stiff and the repops are softer and more flexible. Also, I don't know if you are interested but I found this on Dave's nostalgic.net site
http://www.nostalgic.net/pictures/1923.htm

My grips are stiff rubber, so i guess they are older.
i have been looking for one of those tanks for a while now. I have only seen one on ebay and the guy wants $479 for (also comes with a frame)

Yeah, that is the big issue with the rat bike-vintage world. It would cost a mint to find the original fenders, lights and tank to bring it back. I might be willing to trade you a Schwinn DX frame and Monarch fork for the Colson, same for same. At least then you would have a prewar Schwinn, and everybody wants a Schwinn right? And a repop tank is $125 and it would make a cool rat rod project. Just something to think about. I have a soft spot in my heart (or is it my head?) for prewar brands other than Schwinn.
My 40 DX
http://www.flickr.com/photos/david-quickpic/1280570770/in/set-72157602356066779/

My 39 Columbia
http://www.flickr.com/photos/david-quickpic/2057547467/in/set-72157602356066779/

12B - I'll have to stew on that offer. That monarch fork is pretty nice, but I have grown pretty fond of the Colson.

Back to my work in progress - I need help deciding on the handlebars. I want to use the grips for sure, but I'm not sold on the handlebars i have on it right now. i like the short straight bars because they do not hit my knees when I turn and the steering is nice. But the look is not quite right yet.
i still have the original torrington bar that it came with, but it needs some work and if i turn too sharp I might take out my appendix.

Also - I am looking for a different front sprocket. old or new...just something that looks cool. I am going to stay away from the skip tooth it came with just to avoid the headache. Anybody got anything? suggestions?

Let me know if you change your mind, the DX is a great rider, I am just moving away from the custom rat and more toward vintage stuff...as to the sprocket, not all of the prewar stuff is skip tooth and there are quite a few to choose from with the 1/2 inch (std) spacing and 3/16 width. I would look for something early (late 30s deluxes to 50s) still as the sprockets are usually thicker and have the right look. Columbia's had a five star and their own sweetheart sprocket, there are teardrops and you could always use the various Schwinn versions.

Yeah, definitely swap the bars. Maybe some wider "beach" type bars? Love the red tires and the fact that you kept the chainguard and truss rods. Nice.

Boardtrack fan said:
I really like the lines of your bike. I think it would make a great Flying Merkel. Got any orange paint?!
maldwynjones1913single.jpg

Thanks!!! I know which bars to put on it now

I'm going to go put them on right now

I found this picture of the bike you mentioned. the bars i have aren't quite as long, but i think they will work

As for the Orange....I like the color, but I don't know how it would look with the red tires. All i can think of is a carrot dipped in ketchup.

MVC-001S.JPG

good to hear that youre putting standard cruiser bars on(they look even better cut to just the length of the grips)....as for colors black,red,or grey were pretty standard on the bikes then....... you could also go gloss olive green(think tikiharls hellbilly) and would look very nice with brick tires

sensor said:
good to hear that youre putting standard cruiser bars on(they look even better cut to just the length of the grips)....as for colors black,red,or grey were pretty standard on the bikes then....... you could also go gloss olive green(think tikiharls hellbilly) and would look very nice with brick tires

I love the look of the "Hellbilly"
he got my vote in the RRBO2
I thought about something along those lines, but I don't want to just copy him.

ok, here are the bars I have to choose from. they all need a good bit of work, but this is what I have.
I am going with the second from the bottom. With the red grips of course.
I am going to get some more vintage style pedals too. I am going to put the current ones on my Phat Cycle Chopper

2227773328_075f30a219_b.jpg

2227774398_da9122df25_b.jpg

2227775680_e513ee575b.jpg

Back