1935 AMERICAN FLYER "CAMELBACK"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
This was listed on our CL for the past couple of weeks and after selling the Bantam this weekend I decided to email about it. The gentleman who had the bike was into restoring antique furniture and picked this up at an auction to fix up for his daughter-in-law. Apparently his D.I.L. was not interested in a boys bike so he decided to sell it off to recoup his investment. He had also contacted Leon Dixon with photos and the serial number and purchased a report on the bike which he gave to me.

This particular bike was manufactured by the D.P. Harris Company of New York, parent company of Rollfast. It appears that the Persons saddle and the bars were a dealer option that made this particular bike the "speedy model." The tall stem was also added for a tall rider...which seems to be about right for me at 5' 9." The chainguard, fenders and "B.P. Cohen Jiffy" kickstand were also add on's back in the day. All of this came from the report. If I receive it in electronic format I will post more details.

So here it is in all of its beautiful grungy glory.... :mrgreen:

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

Sweet,Sweet, Sweet.....that is one fantastic bike!

Dig that! The Morrow hub will have a date code on it, something like D4. I have the code list-somewhere! And I'm surprised the guy actually got information easily from LD! He is, after all, the self proclaimed king of classic bicycles, and everyone else are "DIY amateurs." -Adam

thekid said:
DANG--IT !!!! :oops: I saw that and past right by it !! :cry: sooooooo cooooo 8) ooool !

I kept thinking that surely somebody from your side of town would have jumped on it by now.

Was surprised when he said he still had it. He was a great guy too, very friendly and great sense of humor.

I ended up giving him that girls Phat cruiser frame and fork to build up for his daughter-in-law.

Rat Rod said:
"B.P. Cohen Jiffy"

Does your stand really have BP Cohen stamped on it? A Jewish kickstand maker? :shock: I have a couple of those and mine are just stamped "BC Jiffy". They were made in Chicago and stands by that company were used by Harley Davidson at some point. Here are pics of one of mine. I looked up the patent date once and I think it works out to 1934 or 1935 so that's exactly right for your bike. I bead blasted mine and sprayed it with Krylon clear satin. It's held up with no rust for 15 yrs. Gary
DSC03927.jpg

DSC03929.jpg

Wow, that is absolutely way too cool. :shock: :mrgreen: I especially love those bars and the tall stem. What a find!

B607 said:
Does your stand really have BP Cohen stamped on it?

Hey Gary...I'll have to check the kickstand to see if it is stamped. I was just going off the report that he had given me.

Question for you experts on the old stuff...

Should I even bother cleaning this bike or do I run the risk of messing up the value?

When I say clean I mean...mild soap and water only.

I'm not planning to restore it and probably won't ride it either...I'll let it hang and then bring it out for shows and stuff.

Steve, I wouldn't restore it, but I would ride.....definitely!! I'd detail it just like you do the bikes you sell. Tear it down, service it, clean everything with soap and water and wax it with a good cleaner/wax combo. Add some new tubes and black wall tires and save the Carlisle tires for the next guy. Enjoy it.......it's a beauty :mrgreen:

^I agree. Your cleanup jobs are great, and I think this bike could use one of those. There will still be a great patina left, even after the paint is waxed. I completely dissasembled my '35 Schwinn, cleaned all the chrome and waxed all the paint, rebuilt wheels, cleaned spokes, etc, and it looks way better after the clean. Great find by the way! I look forward to seeing it once your done cleaning!

Back