☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. MOCK UP WITH FINISHED TRIANGLE

Thanks Draco!
I really like this colour, might have to give that some thought!

dracothered said:
Sellwood_Bridge_Portland_Oregon.jpg

Luke.

Gosh I need to get on the computer more often to keep up on everbodys builds. This is looking very cool as I figured it would. I personally love a metal finish myself as I think it shows more of the work involved. Thats just me though. This is going to look great with paint but I agree about going over the top with a flashy paint job too. Id keep it subtle and let it show its coolness itself.

In one of my earlier posts in your build, I suggested orange... International Orange to be exact. That is the name of the colour on the most famous bridge of all, the one seen first in dracothered's post, The Golden Gate Bridge.

Not many people seem to like orange, but I reckon it would really make all your craftsmanship sing. :D

What ever colour you choose, I do think it needs to be bright enough to enhance your work, rather than hide it like a darker colour would do.

Thanks Lowlife, Tommy and Glen!

I am coming around to your ideas there Glen, International orange might look good! I have managed to find a copper coloured hammerfinish paint too, see how we go!

Made some progress today, not as much as I intended, but we had visitors and then I taught my 17 year old brother in law and by 19 year old sister in law some welding, and then ran out of MIG wire... :roll: Ah, well, did get the hubs and axles done and welded in the rims!!!

Standard hubs ready to be cut.

9003246071_558bdaf859.jpg

Cut and ready to be extended, also shown is the axle extension measuring just over 8 inch's! (205mm)

9003246121_13100cde3b.jpg

Axle extended and reinforced with more of that half inch square tube, hub centres welded to the sides to stop the cones moving away from the outside when they are tightened up.

9003246173_b9815f5e24.jpg

Placed in position and welded in.

9003246221_81ab4af0d8.jpg

Doing all this, I realised I had left my cone spanners at home, rather than grinding a good spanner out of my set thinner to fit, and due to it being a public holiday, could not buy one, I decided to make my own! Came out great!!! :mrgreen:

9003246287_829ab7e048.jpg

New mock up photo, back wheel moved further back and the build board turned around to make the frame easier to see...

9003246349_607dd08fe1.jpg

That's all for today, travelling down to Cairns for the day tomorrow, will pick up more welding wire while there and should get the rear triangle built and joined the day after, all going well...

Luke.

Excellent work on the hub, and even better on that cone spanner... brilliant :shock:

I reckon a nice girder fork would be the go on this puppy. Here are some nice profiles...

section7_img_14.jpg

Found on this page...

http://chopperhandbook.com/forks.htm

Have a great time in Cairns. I have never been there myself but one of my brothers wants to move there some day... it's his favourite place. :)

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. HUBS/AXLES DONE, NEW MOCK UP.

You just want me to work even harder don't you Glen!!! :lol:
You are right though, one of those would look nice with it, and I still have plenty of square tube and round bar...
Maybe D or E would work the best.

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Thanks Lowlife, Tommy and Glen!

I am coming around to your ideas there Glen, International orange might look good! I have managed to find a copper coloured hammerfinish paint too, see how we go!

Made some progress today, not as much as I intended, but we had visitors and then I taught my 17 year old brother in law and by 19 year old sister in law some welding, and then ran out of MIG wire... :roll: Ah, well, did get the hubs and axles done and welded in the rims!!!

Standard hubs ready to be cut.

9003246071_558bdaf859.jpg

Cut and ready to be extended, also shown is the axle extension measuring just over 8 inch's! (205mm)

9003246121_13100cde3b.jpg

Axle extended and reinforced with more of that half inch square tube, hub centres welded to the sides to stop the cones moving away from the outside when they are tightened up.

9003246173_b9815f5e24.jpg

Placed in position and welded in.

9003246221_81ab4af0d8.jpg

Doing all this, I realised I had left my cone spanners at home, rather than grinding a good spanner out of my set thinner to fit, and due to it being a public holiday, could not buy one, I decided to make my own! Came out great!!! :mrgreen:

9003246287_829ab7e048.jpg

New mock up photo, back wheel moved further back and the build board turned around to make the frame easier to see...

9003246349_607dd08fe1.jpg

That's all for today, travelling down to Cairns for the day tomorrow, will pick up more welding wire while there and should get the rear triangle built and joined the day after, all going well...

Luke.
What kind of rod do you use when you weld up a longer axle for a wide hub?

dracothered said:
What kind of rod do you use when you weld up a longer axle for a wide hub?
I normally use 2 matching axles welded end to end and then sleeved, but this hub is too wide for even that, so I just used 10mm (3/8) mild steel rod, it is not as strong as the harder axle, but it is reinforced by the added square tube sleeve.
Still not as strong as a standard axle, but it is plenty strong enough for a cruiser, would not recommend it for a Heavy Duty BMX or Mountain bike that will see hard use...
It is possible to buy 3/8 x 26 thread inch hardened endless thread, but it is hard to find and seems to be special order over here, believe it is easier to find in the U.S. that would be the best option if you need the full strength. Another option would be to use Heavy Duty 9/16th BMX hubs with 9/16th mild steel rod and a matching sleeve, that would be significantly stronger too.

Luke.

Pushie Pirate said:
Wow Luke this thing is fully off the planet, to top that you are building on the road, go mate!
Thanks Pushie Pirate! :D
Looking forward to seeing more on the Zundapp soon I hope... :wink:

Luke.

Your girder mock up looks great. Here is what I was thinking...

2qd1kpf.jpg

Yours is better though as it looks lighter but still is in keeping with the frame... carry on :wink:

I suppose I should get a wiggle on with my own build :? :oops:

OneHorsePower said:
Love it ! do it ! :mrgreen:
Thanks 1HP!
Glen said:
Your girder mock up looks great. Here is what I was thinking...

2qd1kpf.jpg

Yours is better though as it looks lighter but still is in keeping with the frame... carry on :wink:

I suppose I should get a wiggle on with my own build :? :oops:
That is really nice Glen! I might just steal that! :shock:
Looking forward to more on yours when you get there, you seem to work well under pressure though, did that whole bike in 2 weeks in the muscle bike build off, pretty sure you will get there!

Luke.

I hope you go with Glen's girder fork!!!

kingfish254 said:
I hope you go with Glen's girder fork!!!
Thinking about it, also coming up with new ideas and variations on them too!

Luke.

After this one, you can do a ladies version and call it "The Girdle" :p

Like both forks :|
Are you going to raise the frame higher or is going to be a dirt scraper.... :D

Back