You meet the Nicest People.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you remember the Honda Motorcycle commercials "You meet the nicest people on a Honda"?

Well, I'm here to tell you that there is a Rat Rod Bikes forum version.

Some of you may have noticed a thread I posted in "For Sale".

Anyway, 2 rat-rodders did notice, and they PM'd about the parts that they were interested in, they also said that they were local and wanted to do a local pickup. Well around here, "local" is relative, miles-wise. They traveled quite a number of miles to Casa del Southlake thru a lot of road construction, but they made it!

So today was the appointed meet day.

First off, "sprocketpower" (David) showed up at my door exactly when he said he would, and he bought the parts that he said he wanted, plus a couple more that he saw sitting around. He was happy, and my pocket was happy, but that was the least part of the visit. We must have spent at least 2 hours talking about mutual interests in bikes, cars, and what-not. I showed him all my bikes, from the junk yard, to the future projects, and the completed ones that I'm proud of. I can only hope that one day David will invite me out to his place to see all the great looking stuff that he showed me on his cell phone.

Much later in the day I got the call I was expecting from "nwt76" (Nolan). His visit was late in the day because today he was doing his Reserve Duty at the Joint Reserve Base in Ft Worth. He also brought along a Reserve buddy, who I had the honor to meet, and who, to my complete embarrassment, I cannot recall his name. :oops: Suffice to say, I humbly, (as a VN veteran myself), THANK them both for their individual service to our country!

We had a great time talking about bikes and lots of mutual interest stuff, pretty much like a replay of David's visit. Nolan liked the seat that he came to buy, and as I showed them around my bike junk, I slowly started to wonder if the American Pickers (Mike and Frank) were actually in disguise, as both of them dug out stuff that I hardly remembered that I had, and that they wanted, and I had no idea what to ask for a price. I don't bargain hard, so I think all 3 of us were happy with the results.

I guess the point of this post, is to say that without Rat Rod's (Steve) efforts to put this Forum together, I would never have had the honor and pleasure to meet these fine people. All 4 of us, at one point or another commented on how comfortable it was to invite in each other's presence, and that there is an easy trust just implied if you first meet someone thru this forum.

Bottom line..... Thanks Steve for doing more than you probably will ever know for this special interest group of people.

J

very well said. as I too am a VN vet, I thank you also. I was there in 66 an 67, special forces.
you are also correct that Steve, well I think he does know but really has no idea of what he has really created here. it has been a family and I can rember in BO3 and I was trying to get Black Wicked done when I was feeling very bad that this family was pulling for me and even though I was not in good health they kept me going to finnish the bike. yep, I am proud to be a part of this even though I will not be building much I will be always looking in.

Outlaw :D

There's a good chance I'll never get to meet anyone from here, but I already feel close to a few, and I'm honored to know them. I'm stuck in my apartment most days, but I have routine sites I always visit. RRB.com has been a blessing and always brightens my day. This is the greatest assembled group I have ever encountered, and Steve does a great job riding herd! Thanks to everyone!

Sorry, I do go on. I neglected to mention something important. I lost the lottery in 1970. I wasn't drafted. I figure it worked out best for me and my country, but I honor all Veterans. One of my best friends was Wild Weasel who flew 100 missions over N. Vietnam. Last time I saw him he had just purchased a 49 cc scooter. It is an honor to know him. We all need to honor our Veterans and thank them, individually and collectively for their service.

Thanks Jerry, it was quite an honor to meet you and check out your awesome projects :mrgreen:
and creations. It is quite refreshing when you deal with the family that we have here on
ratrodbikes, you don't have to worry about people not showing up or worse yet being robbed
by someone who now knows eveything that you have. I am glad I found this website and the awesome people
that reside here. Thanks again for the parts I will put them to good use. 8)

Hey Jerry...thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you got to meet some local members.

As you know...I've known David for a while now and he's got several of my old bikes in his collection. I joke with him and say if he ever starts a Rat Rod Bikes museum he'll have a good inventory going. :lol:

Thanks for the great post! :D

Back