"You know what grinds my gears? ..."

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan Jose said:
xHOBOPHOBIAx said:
having an advertisement for a single speed bike in the classified for parts and getting a call saying they have a broken mongoose bike that is "a single speed now" and in good condition :?

I was laughing loud when I read this one!

the bad part is they were dead serious.

All the cool bike events happening 1000 miles away or more :(

what grinds my gears?...

1. when im on a trail that is wide enough for about two peolpe to walk side by side easily and when they see me coming, instead of going single file to let me by, they just keep walking side by side untill i gotta almost put my bike thru the bushs to get around them and THEN look at me with audasity.

2. seeing bikes with multigear systems without their rear derailleurs ran as single speed bikes. that is how i got my 59 roadmaster skyrider and thank god i put it back right.

3. the whole $chwinn priceing, even for newer taiwanese built or even worse, pac cycle co bikes treated as collecter bikes.

4. goat heads.

Craigslist ad posters who never reply. If it's already sold, delete the ad or reply. If you want to sell it, reply.

Bike stores that are closed on Fridays and Saturdays for inventory, conventions, weddings, births, etc. I've been burned 2 weeks in a row by this crap!!!

Ungrateful neighborhood kids who have nice bikes and leave them lying in their yards when not abusing them .

Yes, the idiot on craigslist that don't know anything wanting a fortune for a common bike :roll: ...but worse is the collector who lives in the next town that has 3 garages and a barn completely full of every kind of old bike you could dream about...and either won't sell anything or prices everything 3X what it's worth! His stuff is gold, and anything you bring in is just "common junk". I snapped the last time I was over there and told him that the next time I'd be back would be to attend the auction his wife will be having after he drops dead. :shock: (He's in his late 70's and has had a stroke.) I told him I wouldn't miss that auction for anything and I'd buy my pick of whatever I wanted of his precious stuff for 10-cents on the dollar. :mrgreen: Now I've just got to outlive him. :wink: Gary

B607 said:
Yes, the idiot on craigslist that don't know anything wanting a fortune for a common bike :roll: ...but worse is the collector who lives in the next town that has 3 garages and a barn completely full of every kind of old bike you could dream about...and either won't sell anything or prices everything 3X what it's worth! His stuff is gold, and anything you bring in is just "common junk". I snapped the last time I was over there and told him that the next time I'd be back would be to attend the auction his wife will be having after he drops dead. :shock: (He's in his late 70's and has had a stroke.) I told him I wouldn't miss that auction for anything and I'd buy my pick of whatever I wanted of his precious stuff for 10-cents on the dollar. :mrgreen: Now I've just got to outlive him. :wink: Gary

LOL!! Someone had to tell those idiots off. You did it better than I ever could.

B607 said:

No, it'll backfire. His kid will keep 'em all, or his will may stipulate that they all get run through a car-crusher or something, but it won't ever work to your favor. That's what makes it a gear-grinder.

Some woman called my this weekend about a 50's Shelby girls bike.

"I Don't have a clue what it's worth. I just want to clean out my garage", she says, "We just wanted to see it go to some one who will be able to fix it up!"

About a half hour and several dollars worth of gas later, I arrive to see a nice, all original 24" Shelby. I ask her what she was asking for it, and man did I get a suprise!

"Well my friend Shirley works as an antique dealer. She told be a couple of years ago this bike was worth $500 - $750, so now must be worth at least $1000."

I told her to call Shirley and have her buy it. :roll:

slacker said:
Some woman called my this weekend about a 50's Shelby girls bike.

"I Don't have a clue what it's worth. I just want to clean out my garage", she says, "We just wanted to see it go to some one who will be able to fix it up!"

About a half hour and several dollars worth of gas later, I arrive to see a nice, all original 24" Shelby. I ask her what she was asking for it, and man did I get a suprise!

"Well my friend Shirley works as an antique dealer. She told be a couple of years ago this bike was worth $500 - $750, so now must be worth at least $1000."

I told her to call Shirley and have her buy it. :roll:

WOW!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ebay sellers who jack up shipping charges to several times the actual cost.I would like to buy some 27" tires but the shipping cost is a lot more than the price of the tires.

You know what grinds my gears?

People who won't tell you where they're from. And they are listing big, pricy objects for sale. Like bicycles for instance. Or they want to buy one. Buying or selling, either way.

They post a single sentence "Bike For Sale" or "Bike wanted." And no info about where they're located, or where the item should be picked up from or delivered to. They do not understand that shipping a bicycle means 3 + hours of careful packing, plus a shipping cost starting over $60.

I think it all falls into the category of general ignorance that I see rampant on Craigslist all the time. Take for example, tires for sale. "4 15inch tires, on rims, $200." Typical ad. WHAT kind of rims? Steel, aluminum, and oh yeah, what do they fit??? Are they 33 inch truck tires, low profile 185/50's to squeeze onto your Honda, or just some boring steel wheels off your base Camry? Go look at them, read the numbers on them, and report back! It matters! The only people who want to buy your stuff are people looking for that specific stuff!! Help them out here.

The same lack of information occurs on local classifieds, Craigslist, and Ebay. It even happens here, but I know most rat rodders are interested enough in the details that they'll tell you things you'd never even think to ask. But it's just not excusable to leave out information like, automatic or standard, 4cyl or V6, sedan or wagon, men's or ladies frame, 20" or 26" or something else.... you get the point. Or should. If you don't, you have no business selling anything to anyone.

--Rob

Back