You in with what?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been wanting to do this for years and the timing was never right for me. I think I can get it done this year. I read through the rules yesterday.
Will have to refresh my memory of what the first category was but that will be the one I will submit in. The one with no cutting stretching or welding.
Pretty much a novice to this sight but sounds like a just create a new thread with the name of my build and attach pics and updates of my progress? Can someone confirm?
Thanks

I have been wanting to do this for years and the timing was never right for me. I think I can get it done this year. I read through the rules yesterday.
Will have to refresh my memory of what the first category was but that will be the one I will submit in. The one with no cutting stretching or welding.
Pretty much a novice to this sight but sounds like a just create a new thread with the name of my build and attach pics and updates of my progress? Can someone confirm?
Thanks
Find a bike and when we start set up a thread like this
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/lowco-liner-aka-sunday-best.115800/Name your bike and build away your looking for class 1 happy to have you new builders are needed and wanted
Don't forget read the rules
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/rules.118183/

Last edited:
Trying to decide between 3 potential class 1 builds.
1) a French Gitane road bike. Im only interested because it is French and that is new to me. Would probably turn it into a city bike or fixie.
2) a Raleigh sprite 27 5 speed. This one is dissembled and most of the parts have already been cleaned. I need to respoke the wheels. Wasn’t really planning to modify it much, but the timing is kind of right for the BO
3) a Murray built Flightliner frame. The frame is in good condition and has been primed and needs to be painted. This would be a true rat as I would try to build it with random parts I have lying around. Or maybe go hunting for a donor bike. Kind of leaning towards this as rat rod is the theme here. And I would like to put a dent in my pile of parts. It’s just not one of my favorite frames. But I need to do something with it.

Pile-o-steel tubes and a fancy new welder.
View attachment 228520

🤔 I may just have to enter Class 1 too…
D8B147BF-1F6F-4B21-8E08-7AAED6CB9C2E.jpeg

Will be my first multi-class attempt, and life is only giving me 2 months, so,
1682115191983.png

I’m
Nice old Raleigh built bike. It looks like a 22 inch frame, which if I’m not mistaken is the largest they made back then. I think they came in 20-21 and 22 inch? Panaracer makes a slightly larger tire for these bikes with the old 650a rims. The Panaracer tires most likely won’t clear the fenders. I have these Panaracer tires and they are marked 1 1/2 inch wide. The seat is really nice. It looks like the rims might also be made so they will work with rod brakes? I’ve read that this type of fork is not up to curb jumps and other rough use as they break at the tubing leg mounts. I can’t wait to see what you do with this bike.
its definitely the max size frame…. The owner (original owner I got the bike from) was 6’7”.

I’ve got 2 doner bikes for this thing and I really want to put on the fenders and a chain guard. (And rear baskets!) I love the Raleigh rear fender with 2 tone paint, reflector and decal. the front fork is already bent!!! I’m going to pull a new fork off a doner as well.

I’m not going to build this full on MTB like those cool guys in that video you posted where they were like BMX racing the things…. I was thinking along the lines of a ’gentleman‘s grocery getter that will go through anything, and if he drops it, he won’t care!’

I’m

its definitely the max size frame…. The owner (original owner I got the bike from) was 6’7”.

I’ve got 2 doner bikes for this thing and I really want to put on the fenders and a chain guard. (And rear baskets!) I love the Raleigh rear fender with 2 tone paint, reflector and decal. the front fork is already bent!!! I’m going to pull a new fork off a doner as well.

I’m not going to build this full on MTB like those cool guys in that video you posted where they were like BMX racing the things…. I was thinking along the lines of a ’gentleman‘s grocery getter that will go through anything, and if he drops it, he won’t care!’
That is a perfect bike for what you want. SA internal gerared hubs are tough. The club scene was huge in Britain before WWII. They used SA internal geared hubs for group tours and camping. They are easy to adjust on the road.

Super cool bike. A lot of stuff going on there!!!! -chainring & crank, just using the three speed hub as a single speed or is the rear a coaster brake? 27” wheels? Cool mix of the tape and grips…. And what’s up with the rope!?
Rope is to connect to my electric hoist so it can be stored in the attic. Rear coaster. 27 wheels. The original Hercules crank was wonky so I replaced it. The original crank had H all around the chainring and I really liked that. The gallows seat post was too short so I welded on an extension and put a black painted steel pipe collar over the weld to hide it.

Last edited:
Still on the fence, i have bike for class one, a stratoflyer but i also just picked up a bike just for the fork and a Electra daisy frame that i used as donor for tubing that could be in class 2. I'll post some pics later..
Got this for Class 1
20230422_082813.jpg

And yes i have the rest of the parts for the light

Got this for Class 2
20230422_082847.jpg
20230422_082826.jpg

I'd like to be in, but I haven't got a great idea of what to do. Well, that's not true. I have a good idea but I'm not at all prepared with parts. Plus, it'd be another bike for me...

What I need to do is put something together for my wife. She has a bike now but doesn't like it, it steers to fast for her i think.

She wants something with "wider tires" that's more stable. And if it were sort of feet forward so she could easily touch the ground while seated that'd be great too. I have a '65 Schwinn Breeze frame I wanted to build for her but that wouldn't have wide tires. Hmm.

So I've been trying to figure out what to get for her instead of building the IGH, drum braked whatever off of the 1962 Schwinn Racer frame I have hanging around...

I'd like to be in, but I haven't got a great idea of what to do. Well, that's not true. I have a good idea but I'm not at all prepared with parts. Plus, it'd be another bike for me...

What I need to do is put something together for my wife. She has a bike now but doesn't like it, it steers to fast for her i think.

She wants something with "wider tires" that's more stable. And if it were sort of feet forward so she could easily touch the ground while seated that'd be great too. I have a '65 Schwinn Breeze frame I wanted to build for her but that wouldn't have wide tires. Hmm.

So I've been trying to figure out what to get for her instead of building the IGH, drum braked whatever off of the 1962 Schwinn Racer frame I have hanging around...
I did a build off a few years ago with a bike I plucked out of the trash: built it for my mother-in-law.

search ‘grammaw patina bike‘ on here and it should come up.

it won’t get many votes, but it’ll be a bike that lives forever.

This is the bike that I think will be my starting point later on in BO18.

20230422_150227.jpg

I love it... The design, the curves, and looks well built... Even the color,not a yellow fan, but it suits this frame... Mellow Yellow.
Thank you!
The hardest thing is changing those curves and stay a bit true to the 346 design intent and do my own thing... I want to build it with a top tube. I could not find the 346 "ash" bike:
fd8798d1a22e05153a0ba348f8aa96d9.jpg

Got this for Class 1View attachment 228875
And yes i have the rest of the parts for the light

Got this for Class 2View attachment 228877View attachment 228876
A lot going on there Frankie. Love the Electra base and the red frame!!

This is the bike that I think will be my starting point later on in BO18.

View attachment 228933
Cycletruck. Awesome mr Kingfish!

Back