You Have To See This!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I just looked at the ad, seen similar and posted similar. Funny. But then I decided to browse your local CL... WHAT THE HECK! So many bikes, so many decent prices! I saw a JC Higgins with a rusty tank for $75!!! Really REALLY decent prices. My CL is just a JOKE! Not nearly as many bikes, the prices are higher, the quality is lower, and there are NEVER old bikes that people have good prices... hardly ever old bikes. So jealous.

OK, I just looked at the ad, seen similar and posted similar. Funny. But then I decided to browse your local CL... WHAT THE HECK! So many bikes, so many decent prices! I saw a JC Higgins with a rusty tank for $75!!! Really REALLY decent prices. My CL is just a JOKE! Not nearly as many bikes, the prices are higher, the quality is lower, and there are NEVER old bikes that people have good prices... hardly ever old bikes. So jealous.

I imagine bikes are/were more practical for the average person in flat Kansas than they are in NC with all the hills. Maybe that's why there's more. ?? Gary

:banana:Nothing to do here in the flat lands! sept farm, and have babies! Babies grow up and need bikes!!!

Some people just have nothing better to do then stir a pot of Blah, Blah, Blah. To them I say get a life, get a hobby and stop trying to ruin it for others. Most time people like us are buying these bikes and know what they are and should be worth, anyone new to the hobby or buying a vintage bike should do a little research before dropping the cash, good old Buyer Beware! I see this a lot in the Chicago area a guy posts a bike for a ridiculous price then after a few weeks or month the price drops to something more normal or the ad disappears.

I did exactly what the guy in the ad said I bought a 71 Fastback that was offered at one price, talked the guy down and bought it, then I took it to the local bike shop to get a couple small parts for it, the minute I rolled it in the door the owner of the shop was all over it he asked, did I bring it in to sell it to him I said no just bought it and need a couple things, within a few minutes he again offered to buy it and made me an offer for $75 over what I had paid. I passed and kept the bike but felt good about what I had paid.

I have always believed, Vintage bikes are worth what someone is willing to pay for them.
That to me is the true value.

I imagine bikes are/were more practical for the average person in flat Kansas than they are in NC with all the hills. Maybe that's why there's more. ?? Gary

I think it's more about this being a poorer economic area. The "hills" is a good idea, but I have always lived on the eastern part of NC, which is flat flat flat (from interstate 95 to the coast) and the better vintage bikes seem to pop up more west of here where it is more hilly. I think every old bike around here has been sold for scrap.

You are right on! Guitars are the same... What I value and what the next guy values may line up... but usually there's a bit of room there...it's called wiggle room... Things like rarity, the work put into it, and popularity play into this too. Some folks see things just as an object and don't see the whole picture.

That said, I'd take ten grand for any bike I have...o_O

Carl.

To be honest, the more I look into this, and talking to others. I believe this is a local dealer, bikes and parts, that we all have seen on ebay, trying to convince the people in the area, that are not in the hobby to sell cheap. This is his style. I've personally seen him do worst.

Here's the deal, as I see it: A lot of old bikes do not currently hold any value, but the value is certain to go up, for 2 reasons:
1- they ain't making old bikes anymore
2-they don't make 'em like they used to;most of today's bikes (the old bikes of tomorrow) are simply not as durable as the old ones. In fact, i suspect that the mid-market steel bikes of today will retain more value than the carbon superbikes. I suspect Ti will hold some value, too. Perhaps the most, as they are expensive when new, and not as common on the market.

I also suspect that mass-produced US-made bikes will hold value. Like S&M bikes. Custom US-made bikes have some advantages in terms of exclusivity, but the fact that they'll be custom, plus the fact that fewer ppl will be searching for a particular maker, will diminish this somewhat. These are all just theories, of course.

The problem, as I see it, is that a little knowledge can be a terrible thing. So, the guy with 1/4 of a clue sees an ol' Schwinn on American Pickers that's valued at a bazillion dollars. He figures, "hey, I have an old step-thru Varisty in the shed; it's prolly worth a mint,too!" so he lists it for ten times what it's worth ($300) and some guy with an 1/8th of a clue buys it for $200, thinks he got a steal, and then goes on CL seeking a guy with 1/16th of a clue to buy it for $400, and so on. Which, of course, in the end just serves to drive up bike prices in general. Which is why I hate the act of flipping, even though it seems like a popular pastime among RRB ppl.

Just remember, next time you're perusing CL for bikes you don't want to own but just want to flip, and you want to start whining about how nothing's cheap: Flippers have caused this sorry state of affairs.

I think it's more about this being a poorer economic area. The "hills" is a good idea, but I have always lived on the eastern part of NC, which is flat flat flat (from interstate 95 to the coast) and the better vintage bikes seem to pop up more west of here where it is more hilly. I think every old bike around here has been sold for scrap.

Something else to consider is WW2. In 1943, the gov't went in the scrap metal business. Nationwide scrap metal drives for the war effort. Nothing metal was sacred. I imagine people with sons fighting overseas had no qualms about scrapping the old bikes in the barn if their boys would get home quicker. Gary

Something else to consider is WW2. In 1943, the gov't went in the scrap metal business. Nationwide scrap metal drives for the war effort. Nothing metal was sacred. I imagine people with sons fighting overseas had no qualms about scrapping the old bikes in the barn if their boys would get home quicker. Gary

Gary, I've always thought that this is one of the main reasons pre-war stuff is so hard to find. This also drips over into the early cars. Point well said

To be honest, the more I look into this, and talking to others. I believe this is a local dealer, bikes and parts, that we all have seen on ebay, trying to convince the people in the area, that are not in the hobby to sell cheap. This is his style. I've personally seen him do worst.

I'd say either a dealer or perhaps consumer wanting a certain bike without the means to obtain it. Either way something is worth what someone is willing to pay.

Latest posts

Back