You finally see it

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There you are ,you have laced the same wheel 10 times with no luck. You have read Brown's instructions 20 times. Start with the master spoke ,next to where the inner tube comes through bla bla bla bla.....You try Hugo's instructions which are better and then WHAM! you see it and it is so easy. Its like learning to whistle ....when you get it you wonder why everyone cant do it. You start jerking wheels apart, nipples and spokes falling on the floor like shell casings from an automatic. Lets see Black rim ...red spokes and then chrome rim with stainless spokes...then the imagination is turned loose. Its so easy to clean a lightly rusty rim without all of thoes pesky spokes in the way.....no more sore fingers from sliding steel wool through spokes. NOW is when the problem comes ....what to do with all the wheel sets.ha ha ha

wheelsets.jpg

Looks like Ratrod just got a new bike mechanic. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lacing is fun and theraputic is twisted way. I have never unlaced/relaced a rim to clean it though.

Well good for you, but that is something you don't want everyone to know. :) I'll be boxing up my wheels and hubs right away and sending them to you to lace up. What is that address again? :wink:

I'm doing pretty good on them so far. Got two sets perfect on the truing part. Still havent gotten that spoke calculator down. Seems like they would tell you a 1.75 wide rim with a sturmey archer takes 10 5/8 spokes. I know there are a bunch of varibles on what rim to what hub ,but they should tell you the common ones. I will learn it though. :roll: :wink:

I did a spoke calc. for a custom size, then had the LBS check my numbers when I bought spokes.

What is that hub one the third wheel from the left. looks like a drum brake or electric.

cman said:
What is that hub one the third wheel from the left. looks like a drum brake or electric.
Thats a pair my new friend sold me . Their worksman rims with a drum brake,10 gauge spokes. Redid both. Pulled them apart polished the nipples and cleaned the spokes and stuck them back together. Not bad for $10. :lol: The guy has given me some amazing deals. 8)

Rat Rod said:
Let me know if he gives you anymore sets of drum brake wheels...I'd like a set. :D
I had to pay $10 ha ha . somehow you would have to weld a bar in the inside of a set of forks for a stop . still havent looked at that yet, and they have monster spokes....10 gauge. the whole setup is pretty massive.

sensor said:
good to hear it!im gonna have to learn how soon :shock: so hugos is better huh? ill have to look....again way too go!
I hate to say it but they say a picture is worth a thousand words, I went to youtube and typed in bicycle wheel building and they have several guys respoking wheels and I found them to be more than helpful.
Oh and Dingo you know me I dont sell much .....just buy!!!!! :roll:

Uncle Stretch said:
sensor said:
good to hear it!im gonna have to learn how soon :shock: so hugos is better huh? ill have to look....again way too go!
I hate to say it but they say a picture is worth a thousand words, I went to youtube and typed in bicycle wheel building and they have several guys respoking wheels and I found them to be more than helpful.
Oh and Dingo you know me I dont sell much .....just buy!!!!! :roll:
Done anything with the trike rear end? :lol:

I chickened out when it came to building my own wheel, and took it to the LBS, who quoted me $50 on the phone. I got there and he specified, $50 for the labor, but spokes are extra because he cuts and laces his own ($1 a spoke!). I think next time I might try it myself... If I don't chicken out again.

JoeyMac said:
chickened out when it came to building my own wheel,
I know the feeling. The best plan is find you a rim that your not going to ever use again. Any size ,it dosent matter. read Hugo's entry on how to. Then go to youtube and type in spoke laceing....Watch the video a couple times and then take an electric screwdriver or varible electric drill with a screwdriver in it and take all the nipples out. Try putting it back together using what you have learned. It really isnt that hard. The truing is kinda tricky because you have to get all the spokes the same tightness and the wheel be true kinda at the same time or you wind up with a wheel that has a bump in it . sorta out of round. If you look at how far each spoke is in the nipple and do all of them about the same you will be really close on true to began with. Its really fun once you get the hang of it and if you decide not to mess with it and waste your money with the lbs then just throw the old rim in the garbage and save your money.ha ha ha

It helps to keep trying. I laced that stupid sturmey archer ,that your dear ol dad liked ,10 times. I kicked it across the floor on one occasion but it stayed right here under my desk and everytime I got the urge I tried again. Then I watched the video and it was all clear . took about 20 minutes to lace it. No dirty words ,no threating family members,no kicking dogs. Perserverance. I know thats not spelled right ....couldnt find the spell check...Hey Steve where is the spell check?

Rat Rod said:
It also helps to be retired without any children at home and a wife who still works. :lol:

Ahhhh the American dream.

Uncle Stretch... the Mozzila Firefox web browser has a built in spell checker.
Now my spelling skills have gone to crap along with my hand writing skills.

Latest posts

Back