you ever had people constantly trying to lowball you

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when your trying to sell a bike so you downgrade it as a you see fit to the price offered and they complain it doesnt look good afterwards. cant please anyone these days like 60$ is high for a bike with a 75$ sproket and 35$ handlebars
original
b368271d.jpg

downgrade
a5b5763b.jpg

The problem is overspending when you build a bike, or going to your lbs and buying a $500 bike ,that will never bring over $150 when you get ready to sell it. Everbody here wants to say they bought a $500 bike for $100. The majority of the normal people know you can buy a new bike at Walmart for $89. After all a bike is a bike.
Its the same with a new car. Order a super whammie radio system,moon roof $1000 20's and when you try to sell it all that stuff wont bring zip. :lol:

Exactly.

The problem is "you" buy an accessory because "you" want the accessory and "you" see the value in it for the price you pay. The person buying the bike probably couldn't care less that it had a $75 sprocket, after all a sprocket is a sprocket is a sprocket, in reality most would simply be concerned with the fact it has a sprocket at all and that the bike looked and rode nice. So in this instance the sprocket is worth nothing. For example, I wouldn't pay $75 for a sprocket. Simple. I certainly wont give you extra money for the bike because it has a nice sprocket, as a buyer i would more likely see that as a nice bonus to the bike.

That's just the way it is. You might be lucky to get a buyer that see's or knows the value of the bolt on accessory and may give you a little more because the bike is well specked but most are only interested in the bike as a whole. I would sometimes pay a little more on the bike if it has parts on it I was definitely going to upgrade anyway so in an essence I would be saving myself some money.

eg. I bought my Felt, it had 3" Thick Brick white walls and wide rims which I was going to buy for whatever cruiser I bought. The bike had them already and at $60 a tire ($120 a pair) it made the price of the bike far more attractive as I wouldn't be adding that $120 on top of the purchase of the bike. So I purchased it. Did it add value to the bike, I dont think so but it was a nice bonus.

Uncle Stretch said:
The problem is overspending when you build a bike, or going to your lbs and buying a $500 bike ,that will never bring over $150 when you get ready to sell it. Everbody here wants to say they bought a $500 bike for $100. The majority of the normal people know you can buy a new bike at Walmart for $89. After all a bike is a bike.
Its the same with a new car. Order a super whammie radio system,moon roof $1000 20's and when you try to sell it all that stuff wont bring zip. :lol:
i think i spent 140 on the bike starting from the frame i figured 60$ was more than fair considering the conditions of other bike selling for 130$

I would gladly buy a new Rolls Royce off of you. However, I don't have a lot of money, and don't really need a Rolls Royce, so I wouldn't be willing to pay over $500 for it. Now, it may be a $200,000 car to you, but that doesn't mean I'd pay that much for it. I see some value in it, but not nearly what it's worth to you or to some other more appreciative (and well-heeled) buyer.

I think a similar thing happens with bikes. Especially if you're selling locally only, you may not have anyone that really appreciates what you have.

I think the response above hit it pretty well on "options" that are added on. Not only that, but it's very common for people to exaggerate what they paid for something when they go to sell it. So if you tell me you paid $xx for a sprocket, I'll take that with a grain of salt if I don't know you.

i just ask a little more than what im willing to take selling stuff localy, everybody wants to say "it was $X.XX and i got it for $x.xx", if they ask ill tell them my bottom dollar right off the bat, and let em know thats the best i can do. that way theres less time wasted. i dont price my stuff outrageously. if they dont like the price ill just wait for the person that does. its worked 50/50 so far.

I think the last bike I sold on ebay, it was a recent Schwinn Jaguar 7 speed that I bought from Target on sale for $79 a couple years back. I listed it starting at $68, since I don't have much luck w/reserves, and don't have the cahones to start 'em at .99cents. Anyway, got one measly bid, sold for $68. So the guy has his address wrong on his account, or he's sharing an apartment or something. So I have to do a bunch of sleuthing to figger out where it went, and eventually, apparently it's a University in Philly, and it's at their mail room... Then the guy emails me, complaining that he had to take it to a bike shop to be adjusted since I took the brake shoes off to ship it! Then another angry message that something on the gears broke,yada yada yada.... I emailed back that per my ad, ya don't like it, ship it back intact, and I'll refund yer cost less shipping. Dude said noooo, then he'd be out that money after he had to pay for having having it adjusted, blah blah blah... I mean, he was really snotty about it, and I was trying to work w/the guy... Sometimes ya can't win. ~Adam

Back