YOU DIRTY RAT! ---- (ALL DONE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Some of you local boys will recognize this one from the CL this week.

I traded the Lotus road bike I had for it...couldn't resist the patina, twin top tubes and the vintage Carlisle white walls (joe's ears perked up just then).

She's all rat...right down to the grease ooooozing out of the bottom bracket....ha ha. :lol:

Just not sure I can bring myself to do anything to it....in my book, it's the perfect rat!

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

Re: YOU DIRTY RAT!

That's the kind of bike you're not afraid to ride in the rain!........Oh wait! You guys don't get rain. :lol:

Re: YOU DIRTY RAT! ---- MY FIRST HAWTHORNE

slap an old , vintage light on 'er and call it done :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sweet ride :D

I may have to give that a try Mark...pretty sure I have an old crusty one out in the garage.

I also have a cool weathered set of truss rods...hmmm. :wink:

Looks good. a light and rods would definitely top it off. And he gave you that for that blue bike? Different strokes.

ej599 said:
And he gave you that for that blue bike? Different strokes.

Yeah...this is kind of a cool deal. He's another big bike flipper in the area and he has a soft spot for road bikes.

We agreed to offer up trades if either one of us finds something the other would like...which in my case would be old cruisers.

He's got an old JC Higgins to trade...I just need to find another old road bike. :D

Re: YOU DIRTY RAT! ---- (TRUSS RODS & SPEEDO)

I threw on the truss rods and also an old taillight and a cool vintage speedo that looks like it was made for the bike.

Not really sure that I like this configuration as well. It's fun switching parts around though to see how the bike looks.

I think I like it better without this stuff on it...ha ha.

DSC_0013-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0008-2.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0011-2.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

RatRod,

I think your wonderful artistic and graphic skills are calling home to you on this one...after you added the trusses.

You are correct in stating that it probably looks better without the truss rods. It is cleaner looking without...on this particular bike.

Sometimes less is more. It seems to have more "presence" without...But what do I know? :oops:

Just my two cent opinion from a depressed state called Michigan...just one out of 1200 and growing opinions which are all correct two times a day. Just like a stopped clock...for what its worth. :wink:

Having said all that, I do like the rear tail lamp treatment...it would be great if you could provide a close up from all sides on how you did that. I do think that adds a great touch to any bike. I purchased a bunch of truck lights like this from Al Petri and Sons Bicycle in Lincoln Park, MI and have yet to get a clue on how to mount them, let alone how to power them.

Perhaps a diatribe "Mounting and Powering Truck Lamps" is in order :idea: ...when you have time! :lol:

yep, that is rat. i like it the way ya got it. that's not a monkey ward hawthorne is it?
very kool

Outlaw 8)

i love the truss rods actually, the tail light is pretty boss too. the speedo, im not so hot to. boy, what an interesting bike, i dont think ive seen one like that before with the double top bar. great stuff.

Yes, I also like the truss rods. I think the compliment the radiused lines of the frames. But if you insist on throwing them in the garbage I'll send you my address!! :lol:

Changed out the sprocket today and ended up using a Schwinn crank and a set of rusty Schwinn bow pedals.

I yanked the speedo and I think I'm done with it. I may get my buddy Chad to lay some off white pinstripes on it.

I've ridden it around a bit...rides pretty good, but brakes are optional...or well, Fred Flinstone style. :shock:

DSC_0009-2.jpg

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0004-2.jpg

DSC_0007-3.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

DSC_0008-4.jpg

Pretty funny...can't tell that the weather's been the same all weekend can ya....ha ha.

97 degrees and sunny....like a furnace...it's payback time for all of that November 70s and 80s gloating.

I actually think this bike is better suited for the RRBBO....except that I didn't do all that much but swap parts.

It's more of a rat than the bike I'm building. :D

Back